US or Canada for MBA

Danica T

Hello everybody,

Which country, Canada or the US, has better job options after the MBA? I am from an eastern European country and would like to go to North America. I have looked at MBA programs like the one at Sauder Business School in British Columbia, Canada, and also at some in the US such as Wisconsin Business School and UNLV. Can anybody advise me about these and others, especially about the job situation for graduates. I would be very grateful for any guidance.

Hello everybody,

Which country, Canada or the US, has better job options after the MBA? I am from an eastern European country and would like to go to North America. I have looked at MBA programs like the one at Sauder Business School in British Columbia, Canada, and also at some in the US such as Wisconsin Business School and UNLV. Can anybody advise me about these and others, especially about the job situation for graduates. I would be very grateful for any guidance.
ralph

In general, I advise international students to get into the best school they can if they want to end up working in that country. The better the school, the more substantial relationships with recruiters they'll have; that will give you more leverage in your work search.

Post-MBA visas in each of these countries are fairly open, so that's a good thing. You can get a 1-year OPT visa in the US after your MBA, and there's a similar set up in Canada where you have two years.

What are your career goals, in terms of industry or function?

And what does your profile look like? GMAT score/work experience, especially.

In general, I advise international students to get into the best school they can if they want to end up working in that country. The better the school, the more substantial relationships with recruiters they'll have; that will give you more leverage in your work search.

Post-MBA visas in each of these countries are fairly open, so that's a good thing. You can get a 1-year OPT visa in the US after your MBA, and there's a similar set up in Canada where you have two years.

What are your career goals, in terms of industry or function?

And what does your profile look like? GMAT score/work experience, especially.
Danica T

Thanks for that info. My goals are to be able to live in and work in the US for a couple of years, and then go back to my home country. I work in a telco right now, I like working in the industry but would like to be able to have bigger responsibilities. I have not taken the GMAT yet. My total work experience is five years, post-bachelor's. Can you suggest a few schools that I should target? Thanks!

Thanks for that info. My goals are to be able to live in and work in the US for a couple of years, and then go back to my home country. I work in a telco right now, I like working in the industry but would like to be able to have bigger responsibilities. I have not taken the GMAT yet. My total work experience is five years, post-bachelor's. Can you suggest a few schools that I should target? Thanks!
ralph

In the US, maybe check these to start with:

MIT - Sloan
Carnegie Mellon - Tepper
Washington - Foster

Those all feature strong placements in the technology industry broadly and decent technology-oriented curriculum. I'd suggest also targeting the schools by employment data: look at the jobs you want and then, using LinkedIn or other resources, track down where people who are doing those jobs now did their MBAs. Placement in telcos probably varies a lot from region to region.

In the US, maybe check these to start with:

MIT - Sloan
Carnegie Mellon - Tepper
Washington - Foster

Those all feature strong placements in the technology industry broadly and decent technology-oriented curriculum. I'd suggest also targeting the schools by employment data: look at the jobs you want and then, using LinkedIn or other resources, track down where people who are doing those jobs now did their MBAs. Placement in telcos probably varies a lot from region to region.
Danica T

I'll look into these schools, thank your for your suggestions.

I'll look into these schools, thank your for your suggestions.
Danica T

One more thing - what do you suggest for schools in Canada?

One more thing - what do you suggest for schools in Canada?
ralph

Looks like Queen's places around 13 percent of its grads in tech roles:

http://find-mba.com/schools/americas/canada/queens

At Schulich it's more like 10 percent:

http://find-mba.com/schools/americas/canada/york-schulich

I'd say that those would be good schools to start with.

Looks like Queen's places around 13 percent of its grads in tech roles:

http://find-mba.com/schools/americas/canada/queens

At Schulich it's more like 10 percent:

http://find-mba.com/schools/americas/canada/york-schulich

I'd say that those would be good schools to start with.
Inactive User

What about Sauder? Location-wise it's great for networking with tech firms, and their placements in this industry are growing.

What about Sauder? Location-wise it's great for networking with tech firms, and their placements in this industry are growing.
Danica T

Queen's, Schulich, and Sauder... Ok, got it, thanks for the advice!

Queen's, Schulich, and Sauder... Ok, got it, thanks for the advice!

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

Seattle, Washington 37 Followers 31 Discussions
Cambridge, Massachusetts 52 Followers 175 Discussions
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 37 Followers 92 Discussions
Vancouver, Canada 61 Followers 97 Discussions
Las Vegas, Nevada 5 Followers 6 Discussions
Madison, Wisconsin 21 Followers 46 Discussions

Other Related Content

Jan 11, 2024

LinkedIn Launches MBA Rankings of US Business Schools

News Jan 11, 2024

MBA Programs in Canada: Maple Trees, Bacon, and Business Schools?

Article Dec 15, 2010

Affordable and respected, Canadian business schools are luring international students north.

Top MBA Programs for Technology or Information Technology (IT)

Top List

An MBA can help students interested in tech or IT understand the managerial and strategic implications of technology in business. These top ten MBA programs can help