Please suggest 1 yr MBA school (690/5/5.5yrs)

manksh

I am really confused. Please suggest 1 year MBA programs for my profile:
GMAT - 690 (Q49-V35)
AWA ? 5
Male, India, B.Tech (4 year) from IIT, 3rd rank in class
Manufacturing experience: 1 year
IT experience - 4.5Yrs experience, mostly in startups
Also working on my own venture: jobsamiksha.com as per my interest in entrepreneurship
Member of NEN and participated in many business plan competitions with decent success.

I have sent scores in: ISB, HKUST BS, INSEAD, MBS, CIEBS.
What are the chances in these colleges? ISB alreay applied.
My one of the biggest worry is that i don't have international experience or experience in big MNC.
please suggest ASAP, as deadlines are passing.
Thanks in advance.

I am really confused. Please suggest 1 year MBA programs for my profile:
GMAT - 690 (Q49-V35)
AWA ? 5
Male, India, B.Tech (4 year) from IIT, 3rd rank in class
Manufacturing experience: 1 year
IT experience - 4.5Yrs experience, mostly in startups
Also working on my own venture: jobsamiksha.com as per my interest in entrepreneurship
Member of NEN and participated in many business plan competitions with decent success.

I have sent scores in: ISB, HKUST BS, INSEAD, MBS, CIEBS.
What are the chances in these colleges? ISB alreay applied.
My one of the biggest worry is that i don't have international experience or experience in big MNC.
please suggest ASAP, as deadlines are passing.
Thanks in advance.
donho199

hello

with that kind of background you can get into almost ANY business school that includes Havard,Wharton, Oxford, Cambridge.

BUT the application is a VERY BIG DEAL, a make or break part. and you better concentrate on that.

hello

with that kind of background you can get into almost ANY business school that includes Havard,Wharton, Oxford, Cambridge.

BUT the application is a VERY BIG DEAL, a make or break part. and you better concentrate on that.

boy-on-biz

Hi Donho 199,

How old are you?

I dont think you need to worry about international experience. Most Indian applicants go to the webt for the MBA to get the International education and experience.

Not working for an MNC is not that important. It is the quality fo expeirence and the leadership responsibilities within your roles that is key so play that up.

I would suggest applying to European schools rather than US, unless you get into the top Ivy's.

Hi Donho 199,

How old are you?

I dont think you need to worry about international experience. Most Indian applicants go to the webt for the MBA to get the International education and experience.

Not working for an MNC is not that important. It is the quality fo expeirence and the leadership responsibilities within your roles that is key so play that up.

I would suggest applying to European schools rather than US, unless you get into the top Ivy's.
ralph

With your profile, you should definitely target the top schools on your list (INSEAD and CEIBS!!!) and then one or two safety schools.

Like somebody else said, a lot rides on your application. You may have the perfect profile, but if your app is full of grammatical errors and spelling issues, that will detract greatly from your credibility.

Fortunately, for a school like INSEAD (which is Jan. intake,) you still have a bit of time (~3 months.)

With your profile, you should definitely target the top schools on your list (INSEAD and CEIBS!!!) and then one or two safety schools.

Like somebody else said, a lot rides on your application. You may have the perfect profile, but if your app is full of grammatical errors and spelling issues, that will detract greatly from your credibility.

Fortunately, for a school like INSEAD (which is Jan. intake,) you still have a bit of time (~3 months.)
manksh

Thanks a lot to everyone for your suggestions on my query "Please suggest 1 yr MBA school (690/5/5.5yrs)".

Actually, I have 3 concerns:
1. Cost of education (In US or Europe- it's almost 2 or 3 times than that in HK or Singapore or ISB)
2. Want to do general mba but want some focus on entrepreneurship.
3. If I do MBA from Asia, then jobs are not as rosy as US's. I think generally it's tough to get job in Europe for non-resi.
Due to all this, i though of these collegs:
Australasia: ISB, HKUST, NUS, Nanyang, CEIBS, MBS
US: Chicago Booth, Stern, Tuck, Darden, ROSS
I understand the importance of app form. I want to apply in 5 college, please suggest which these are best for me according to my profile.
Again thanks all of you for ur help. Bye

Thanks a lot to everyone for your suggestions on my query "Please suggest 1 yr MBA school (690/5/5.5yrs)".

Actually, I have 3 concerns:
1. Cost of education (In US or Europe- it's almost 2 or 3 times than that in HK or Singapore or ISB)
2. Want to do general mba but want some focus on entrepreneurship.
3. If I do MBA from Asia, then jobs are not as rosy as US's. I think generally it's tough to get job in Europe for non-resi.
Due to all this, i though of these collegs:
Australasia: ISB, HKUST, NUS, Nanyang, CEIBS, MBS
US: Chicago Booth, Stern, Tuck, Darden, ROSS
I understand the importance of app form. I want to apply in 5 college, please suggest which these are best for me according to my profile.
Again thanks all of you for ur help. Bye
ralph

Your concerns are valid. As far as the cost of the programs in the US/Europe, I think you'll find that the return on investment for these programs is substantially greater over a grad's lifetime than schools in Asia. However, a lot of the studies that are done along these lines use just the raw numbers and do not take into account more abstract data like "quality of life" (you can live well in Asia on substantially less than in Europe or the UK.

The schools you've identified are all well respected schools. If I were you I would hedge my bets between Asia and the US, perhaps selecting these schools, in order of preference:

1. Stern
2. HKUST
3. NUS
4. Booth
5. Tuck

Your concerns are valid. As far as the cost of the programs in the US/Europe, I think you'll find that the return on investment for these programs is substantially greater over a grad's lifetime than schools in Asia. However, a lot of the studies that are done along these lines use just the raw numbers and do not take into account more abstract data like "quality of life" (you can live well in Asia on substantially less than in Europe or the UK.

The schools you've identified are all well respected schools. If I were you I would hedge my bets between Asia and the US, perhaps selecting these schools, in order of preference:

1. Stern
2. HKUST
3. NUS
4. Booth
5. Tuck
manksh

Ralph, thanks a lot for your feedback. I really found your suggestions interesting and well thought out. What do you do..R u also looking for admission into a B School.
Actually, my intention of doing MBA is to get business/management knowledge. Work for at least 3 years in strategic consulting (IT/Gen) and then do something in social entrepreneurship in India. While running JobSamiksha.com, I got many chances to analyze Indian higher education systems closely. I have some plans/ideas. But before jumping into that, I want to get loaded with sound business knowledge and some good exp.
With the help of many people's feedback and my analysis...I am finally thinking to apply into: Stern, HKUST, NUS, Booth, Tuck and Oxford Said(as said encourages social entrepreneurship.)

Please comment on this, and again thanks for sharing your view. I would love to share and know you all more.

Ralph, thanks a lot for your feedback. I really found your suggestions interesting and well thought out. What do you do..R u also looking for admission into a B School.
Actually, my intention of doing MBA is to get business/management knowledge. Work for at least 3 years in strategic consulting (IT/Gen) and then do something in social entrepreneurship in India. While running JobSamiksha.com, I got many chances to analyze Indian higher education systems closely. I have some plans/ideas. But before jumping into that, I want to get loaded with sound business knowledge and some good exp.
With the help of many people's feedback and my analysis...I am finally thinking to apply into: Stern, HKUST, NUS, Booth, Tuck and Oxford Said(as said encourages social entrepreneurship.)

Please comment on this, and again thanks for sharing your view. I would love to share and know you all more.
ralph

Hey, no problem on the feedback. I'm actually completed my MBA a few years back, and now working in investment banking.

You have a good plan, and I think the niche of social entrepreneurship, especially in countries like India, will become very important in the next few years.

You are applying to a good range of schools, good luck!

Hey, no problem on the feedback. I'm actually completed my MBA a few years back, and now working in investment banking.

You have a good plan, and I think the niche of social entrepreneurship, especially in countries like India, will become very important in the next few years.

You are applying to a good range of schools, good luck!
sally

One school you might also look at is IE Business School in Madrid! It's a one-year program and very strong in entrepreneurship. It's expensive, but less than some of the other top schools (49,100 euros). And they offer a lot of scholarships and financial aid options. With your profile, you could probably get some financial help.

Anyway, I am biased, because it is my choice. I was accepted and plan to enroll for Nov 2010. I really fell in love with the program after reading about it and meeting admissions representatives. So, I did not apply many other places. There are probably plenty of others equally good in entrepreneurship. Good luck with whatever you choose!

PS: I do not have any international or MNC experience, either. I don't think that matters at all. Most schools would much rather see someone who worked in a leadership role in a small company, rather than someone who is just another working stiff at a large firm. Your experience starting your own company should really impress admissions committees, and make you stand out.

One school you might also look at is IE Business School in Madrid! It's a one-year program and very strong in entrepreneurship. It's expensive, but less than some of the other top schools (49,100 euros). And they offer a lot of scholarships and financial aid options. With your profile, you could probably get some financial help.

Anyway, I am biased, because it is my choice. I was accepted and plan to enroll for Nov 2010. I really fell in love with the program after reading about it and meeting admissions representatives. So, I did not apply many other places. There are probably plenty of others equally good in entrepreneurship. Good luck with whatever you choose!

PS: I do not have any international or MNC experience, either. I don't think that matters at all. Most schools would much rather see someone who worked in a leadership role in a small company, rather than someone who is just another working stiff at a large firm. Your experience starting your own company should really impress admissions committees, and make you stand out.

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

Madrid, Spain 114 Followers 368 Discussions
Shanghai, China 38 Followers 78 Discussions
Beijing, China 6 Followers 102 Discussions
Hong Kong, Hong Kong (PRC) 31 Followers 162 Discussions
Fontainebleau, France 72 Followers 309 Discussions
Singapore 33 Followers 171 Discussions
Hyderabad, India 22 Followers 86 Discussions

Other Related Content

Oct 12, 2023

Calling All German MBA Hopefuls: Join the e-fellows MBA Days in Frankfurt and Hamburg

News Oct 12, 2023

Hot Discussions