Northern CA Schools

JC

What can you tell me about the reputation and appropriateness of Dominican University of California and Sonoma State University for MBA programs.
My stats:
Female, age 58
Newly unemployed
Corporate, small business, non-profit, and federal government work experience (Army Civilian)
Have not taken the GMAT which I know Dominican does not require.
Thanks!
And... any pearls of wisdom are greatly appreciated.

What can you tell me about the reputation and appropriateness of Dominican University of California and Sonoma State University for MBA programs.
My stats:
Female, age 58
Newly unemployed
Corporate, small business, non-profit, and federal government work experience (Army Civilian)
Have not taken the GMAT which I know Dominican does not require.
Thanks!
And... any pearls of wisdom are greatly appreciated.
Duncan

Sonoma is okay school: you can read a profile with basic stats at http://business-schools.findthebest.com/l/52/Sonoma-State-University-CA I don't hear Dominican mentioned much, and didn't know they had an MBA. I'd encourage you to take the GMAT and get into the best program you can. As a candidate with a lot more experience, you'd be very interesting for some program that perhaps would not look at you if you were 28 ;-)

Sonoma is okay school: you can read a profile with basic stats at http://business-schools.findthebest.com/l/52/Sonoma-State-University-CA I don't hear Dominican mentioned much, and didn't know they had an MBA. I'd encourage you to take the GMAT and get into the best program you can. As a candidate with a lot more experience, you'd be very interesting for some program that perhaps would not look at you if you were 28 ;-)
JC

Thank you for the helpful feedback. That is encouraging.

Thank you for the helpful feedback. That is encouraging.
ralph

Sonoma is the better school - the Dominican program is not accredited by any of the major three international business school accreditation organizations (AACSB, AMBA, or EQUIS.)

However, it might depend on your goals. A case could be made for Dominican if you were looking for something specifically centered on sustainability. But in this case you might also want to consider the Presidio program or CCA's design strategy program, both in San Francisco - neither of which are accredited but have higher visibility than the Dominican program.

Sonoma is the better school - the Dominican program is not accredited by any of the major three international business school accreditation organizations (AACSB, AMBA, or EQUIS.)

However, it might depend on your goals. A case could be made for Dominican if you were looking for something specifically centered on sustainability. But in this case you might also want to consider the Presidio program or CCA's design strategy program, both in San Francisco - neither of which are accredited but have higher visibility than the Dominican program.
JC

Thank you Ralph - good advice. I definitely want an accredited school with a good track record and reputation. Sounds like Dominican's program is just getting its feet on the ground.

Thank you Ralph - good advice. I definitely want an accredited school with a good track record and reputation. Sounds like Dominican's program is just getting its feet on the ground.
ralph

It's actually been around for over 10 years, but hasn't really gained any traction. I think it's because the program takes a quite soft, North Bay - is "granola-y" a word yet? - approach to a degree that should be much more grounded in the hard skills. It doesn't even offer a course in strategy!!

On the other hand, I think the Presidio MBA in Sustainable Management has crafted a more pragmatic curriculum - it covers the sustainability and communication/values/ethical issues, but mixes them with a course in capital markets, one in operations, and various economics/finance courses.

It's actually been around for over 10 years, but hasn't really gained any traction. I think it's because the program takes a quite soft, North Bay - is "granola-y" a word yet? - approach to a degree that should be much more grounded in the hard skills. It doesn't even offer a course in strategy!!

On the other hand, I think the Presidio MBA in Sustainable Management has crafted a more pragmatic curriculum - it covers the sustainability and communication/values/ethical issues, but mixes them with a course in capital markets, one in operations, and various economics/finance courses.

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

San Francisco, California 8 Followers 7 Discussions
San Rafael, California 3 Followers 2 Discussions
San Francisco, California 5 Followers 5 Discussions
Rohnert Park, California 2 Followers 3 Discussions

Other Related Content

A Place in the Sun: MBA Programs in California

Article May 08, 2010

Nice weather aside, California is still the place to go for those seeking the next big thing.