MBA vs Global MBA

what the difference between MBA and Global MBA ??

Thx

what the difference between MBA and Global MBA ??

Thx
Duncan

There's no real difference. I guess the schools are aiming to show that the students are globally recruited. At Manchester and Durham, that's how they describe their international, distance-learning MBA.

There's no real difference. I guess the schools are aiming to show that the students are globally recruited. At Manchester and Durham, that's how they describe their international, distance-learning MBA.

thx Duncan

could you please give me more info about hult international business school as i want to join it in dubai campus for one year MBA i want to know the prerequisities,total fees and are there eny differences between dubai,london and boston campus also if i want to continue my stadying in any other university like harvard or london business school is it available or not.

thx Duncan

could you please give me more info about hult international business school as i want to join it in dubai campus for one year MBA i want to know the prerequisities,total fees and are there eny differences between dubai,london and boston campus also if i want to continue my stadying in any other university like harvard or london business school is it available or not.
nanand1977

Dear Mohammad82

Duncan has been very helpful on this forum, but the questions you are asking doesnot worth his time. Answer to most of your queries can be easily found on the website of Hult and i dont understand what do you mean by saying that if you could continue your studies at other universities like harvard or london business school, do you mean exchange possibilities or something else.

Dear Mohammad82

Duncan has been very helpful on this forum, but the questions you are asking doesnot worth his time. Answer to most of your queries can be easily found on the website of Hult and i dont understand what do you mean by saying that if you could continue your studies at other universities like harvard or london business school, do you mean exchange possibilities or something else.
Duncan

:-)

:-)

thanks for your polite way in responding.

thanks for your polite way in responding.

What I understand by the Global MBA is that b-schools run a particular programme at several locations in the world and participants can attend classes wherever they are in the world. This sort of programme is mostly suited to senior level executives. Manchester Business School MBA runs in Singapore, Dubia, Rio, Manchester, Sao Paulo, Hong Kong, Miami and Shanghai. Lancaster Business School runs their Global MBA in Singapore, Jordan and Zambia and the Duke Cross Continent MBA is delivered through a mixture of
online distance learning and residencies in each of Dubai, New Delhi, St. Petersburg, Shanghai/Kunshan, and Fuqua?s home campus in Durham, North Carolina.

The great thing about these programmes is that you get to immediately apply what you've been learning to your job and you will get incredible international exposure. You do have to be able to deal with jet-lag!

What I understand by the Global MBA is that b-schools run a particular programme at several locations in the world and participants can attend classes wherever they are in the world. This sort of programme is mostly suited to senior level executives. Manchester Business School MBA runs in Singapore, Dubia, Rio, Manchester, Sao Paulo, Hong Kong, Miami and Shanghai. Lancaster Business School runs their Global MBA in Singapore, Jordan and Zambia and the Duke Cross Continent MBA is delivered through a mixture of
online distance learning and residencies in each of Dubai, New Delhi, St. Petersburg, Shanghai/Kunshan, and Fuqua?s home campus in Durham, North Carolina.

The great thing about these programmes is that you get to immediately apply what you've been learning to your job and you will get incredible international exposure. You do have to be able to deal with jet-lag!
Duncan

The Manchester programme isn't aimed at senior people, just those with managerial experience. Essec also has a Global MBA which is a full time MBA in Paris. So it's just a title that means the course is international in its scope. It's not got one single meaning.

The Manchester programme isn't aimed at senior people, just those with managerial experience. Essec also has a Global MBA which is a full time MBA in Paris. So it's just a title that means the course is international in its scope. It's not got one single meaning.
maubia

Look at Durham for example:

http://www.dur.ac.uk/dbs/glc/mba-dl/

for them "global" means more or less "online" :-)

Look at Durham for example:

http://www.dur.ac.uk/dbs/glc/mba-dl/

ezra

Exactly - in this sense, "global" is branding - many schools might add "global" to a name when the program is just simply flexible. IE, for example, calls its distance learning program global because it can theoretically be pursued from anywhere in the world. Fair enough, I guess.

Other "global" programs have more lofty ambitions. The focus of Johns Hopkins global program is to help leaders through the business and ethical implications of a globalized, highly interconnected world.

There are also programs like OneMBA that offer a global perspective through an international experience: Study in five schools across four continents and all that jazz.

<blockquote>for them "global" means more or less "online" :-)</blockquote>
Exactly - in this sense, "global" is branding - many schools might add "global" to a name when the program is just simply flexible. IE, for example, calls its distance learning program global because it can theoretically be pursued from anywhere in the world. Fair enough, I guess.

Other "global" programs have more lofty ambitions. The focus of Johns Hopkins global program is to help leaders through the business and ethical implications of a globalized, highly interconnected world.

There are also programs like OneMBA that offer a global perspective through an international experience: Study in five schools across four continents and all that jazz.
maubia

Onemba, IMM, ecc I really wonder if those shared programs really keep their international promise. One week in US, one in China,ecc .. fashion and marketable but also effective?

<blockquote>
There are also programs like OneMBA that offer a global perspective through an international experience: Study in five schools across four continents and all that jazz.</blockquote>

Onemba, IMM, ecc I really wonder if those shared programs really keep their international promise. One week in US, one in China,ecc .. fashion and marketable but also effective?
Duncan

Well that depends on the goal of the programme and of the diversity of the cohort.

Well that depends on the goal of the programme and of the diversity of the cohort.
ralph

I think that for giving students an international experience, they're good. You can get exposure to more environments and cultures that way than if you did a program within a single country. For some students, having that kind of experience (or even just putting on their CV) is what they're looking for.

That said, I doubt you'd be able to land a job in Hong Kong if you're in the RSM intake for OneMBA (for example.) If you wanted to work in Hong Kong, you'd do the normal MBA intake at CUHK or go to a school like HKUST.

There are also international internships, or even "summer abroad" trips that can provide a global experience. I'm thinking of programs like those at the University of Illinois at Chicago's general MBA program and Georgia State/Robinson's Global Partners MBA.

I think that for giving students an international experience, they're good. You can get exposure to more environments and cultures that way than if you did a program within a single country. For some students, having that kind of experience (or even just putting on their CV) is what they're looking for.

That said, I doubt you'd be able to land a job in Hong Kong if you're in the RSM intake for OneMBA (for example.) If you wanted to work in Hong Kong, you'd do the normal MBA intake at CUHK or go to a school like HKUST.

There are also international internships, or even "summer abroad" trips that can provide a global experience. I'm thinking of programs like those at the University of Illinois at Chicago's general MBA program and Georgia State/Robinson's Global Partners MBA.

<blockquote>Onemba, IMM, ecc I really wonder if those shared programs really keep their international promise. One week in US, one in China,ecc .. fashion and marketable but also effective? </blockquote>
Stephan

Hello Mohammad82 et al,

In the past few years many business schools have introduced ?Global MBA? programs ? some schools already have an extensive track record in delivering ?global MBA? programs, while others have just recently jumped onto the band wagon.
Unfortunately there is no clear-cut definition about what constitutes a "Global MBA" program. The variations in "Global MBA? programs are vast.

A prospective student that wants to study the intricacies of the global business environment needs to evaluate the different nuances of ?Global MBA? programs and decide what type is right for him/her:
a) joined program by an alliance of business schools, mix of local and global courses with students travelling globally to each campus and company visits in each location, study project work in global and local teams (i.e. OneMBA program by CUHK, EGADE, FGV, RSM, UNC)
b) joined program by an alliance of business schools, with faculty members travelling to deliver the program.
c) same program, in multiple campuses of the same business school, delivered by the same faculty members.
d) same program, in multiple campuses of the same business school, delivered by different faculty members.
e) student on his own initiative studying at various business schools for 1 or 2 terms.
f) single campus program teaching about global business
g) online distance learning with little or no face-to-face contact with faculty and/or students

I think that each of the above program types can be attractive to a particular student type, although I?m sure that the learning experiences are vastly different.

Cheers,
-Stephan

CUHK OneMBA Alumni 2010

Hello Mohammad82 et al,

In the past few years many business schools have introduced ?Global MBA? programs ? some schools already have an extensive track record in delivering ?global MBA? programs, while others have just recently jumped onto the band wagon.
Unfortunately there is no clear-cut definition about what constitutes a "Global MBA" program. The variations in "Global MBA? programs are vast.

A prospective student that wants to study the intricacies of the global business environment needs to evaluate the different nuances of ?Global MBA? programs and decide what type is right for him/her:
a) joined program by an alliance of business schools, mix of local and global courses with students travelling globally to each campus and company visits in each location, study project work in global and local teams (i.e. OneMBA program by CUHK, EGADE, FGV, RSM, UNC)
b) joined program by an alliance of business schools, with faculty members travelling to deliver the program.
c) same program, in multiple campuses of the same business school, delivered by the same faculty members.
d) same program, in multiple campuses of the same business school, delivered by different faculty members.
e) student on his own initiative studying at various business schools for 1 or 2 terms.
f) single campus program teaching about global business
g) online distance learning with little or no face-to-face contact with faculty and/or students

I think that each of the above program types can be attractive to a particular student type, although I?m sure that the learning experiences are vastly different.

Cheers,
-Stephan

CUHK OneMBA Alumni 2010

Global MBA is another way of calling MBA . I guess the schools are aiming to show that the students are globally recruited. This is how they aim to attract the bigger pool of student towards their program around the globe.

Global MBA is another way of calling MBA . I guess the schools are aiming to show that the students are globally recruited. This is how they aim to attract the bigger pool of student towards their program around the globe.
Stephan

Hello moises.kline,

Yes, there are programs and prospective students who think that recruiting the students from various countries, does make them a "global" MBA program.
An MBA program with a culturaly diverse cohort is certainly "more global" than a homogenous cohort. However I find this a very simplistic view of world.

At the minimum, a "global MBA program" should include exposure to the global business environment.

A truly global MBA program will have their students travel, visit companies overseas and interact with business people from around the globe. There is no substitute for experiencing the similarities and differences of global businesses first hand and being imersed in various foreign cultures for some time. That's my kind of "global MBA".

Cheers,
-Stephan
CUHK OneMBA Alumni 2010

Hello moises.kline,

Yes, there are programs and prospective students who think that recruiting the students from various countries, does make them a "global" MBA program.
An MBA program with a culturaly diverse cohort is certainly "more global" than a homogenous cohort. However I find this a very simplistic view of world.

At the minimum, a "global MBA program" should include exposure to the global business environment.

A truly global MBA program will have their students travel, visit companies overseas and interact with business people from around the globe. There is no substitute for experiencing the similarities and differences of global businesses first hand and being imersed in various foreign cultures for some time. That's my kind of "global MBA".

Cheers,
-Stephan
CUHK OneMBA Alumni 2010

Regarding this topic, is there any difference between Global MBA and International MBA? IE Business school for example offers both...

Regarding this topic, is there any difference between Global MBA and International MBA? IE Business school for example offers both...
Duncan

Have you considered reading this thread?

Have you considered reading this thread?

I expected this question:) Yes, I really did it and did not find any direct response to my question. But if you think it is contained above, dont answer, I will do it once more:)

I expected this question:) Yes, I really did it and did not find any direct response to my question. But if you think it is contained above, dont answer, I will do it once more:)
Duncan

Thanks. There is no consistent difference.

Thanks. There is no consistent difference.

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

Durham, North Carolina 52 Followers 103 Discussions
San Francisco, California 28 Followers 40 Discussions
London, United Kingdom 31 Followers 77 Discussions
Dubai, United Arab Emirates 25 Followers 88 Discussions
São Paulo, Brazil 8 Followers 22 Discussions
Full Profile
Cergy-Pontoise, France 41 Followers 185 Discussions
Durham, United Kingdom 74 Followers 400 Discussions
Chapel Hill, North Carolina 37 Followers 76 Discussions
Cambridge, Massachusetts 34 Followers 179 Discussions