MBA in Finance - where?

ILLCOMM

Hi everybody, where do you think the best place to do an MBA is if I want to work in finance? Is it NYC (Columbia, NYU,) London (LBS), or Singapore/Hong Kong (HKUST, NTU). I'm completely open, I just want to figure out where the opportunities are (in terms of the bottom line).

Hi everybody, where do you think the best place to do an MBA is if I want to work in finance? Is it NYC (Columbia, NYU,) London (LBS), or Singapore/Hong Kong (HKUST, NTU). I'm completely open, I just want to figure out where the opportunities are (in terms of the bottom line).
Razors Edg...

All of these schools have strong MBA programs if you are looking for a career in finance. At some point, it's going to just depend on where you want to end up, keeping in mind the strengths and weaknesses of each location. I'd vote for NYC, because of Wall Street and all of the city's culture, but the other places are great too.

All of these schools have strong MBA programs if you are looking for a career in finance. At some point, it's going to just depend on where you want to end up, keeping in mind the strengths and weaknesses of each location. I'd vote for NYC, because of Wall Street and all of the city's culture, but the other places are great too.

You mean you want to work in the financial services field? Can't beat Wall Street!

You mean you want to work in the financial services field? Can't beat Wall Street!
anmolt

Guys !! I have a query. I am an aspirant for GMAT but I am really confused about my profile. I have done my B Tech (Electronics) and then I have done my M Tech (Electronics) from USA. I have 2 years of work exp in India and 4 years of work exp in USA. What I am confused about is that I do not have any finance background but I do have a certain amount of experience in management. I am inclined towards the field of finance. However my profile is mostly electronics based. I do want to pursue my MBA from either ISB or S P Jain Global as I have heard a lot about these two colleges. What course would be better for my profile and what is the score that I need to achieve to get in these colleges. Kindly give me some rough ideas as it would give me some clarity.

[quote] Guys !! I have a query. I am an aspirant for GMAT but I am really confused about my profile. I have done my B Tech (Electronics) and then I have done my M Tech (Electronics) from USA. I have 2 years of work exp in India and 4 years of work exp in USA. What I am confused about is that I do not have any finance background but I do have a certain amount of experience in management. I am inclined towards the field of finance. However my profile is mostly electronics based. I do want to pursue my MBA from either ISB or S P Jain Global as I have heard a lot about these two colleges. What course would be better for my profile and what is the score that I need to achieve to get in these colleges. Kindly give me some rough ideas as it would give me some clarity.

[/quote]

Friend, I also had a similar profile to yours but in the IT Sector. I had more than 7 yrs of work ex in companies such as TCS, Reliance & GE. Like you, I also didn’t have any finance, consulting or marketing background but during my work ex I've gained a little experience of finance and consulting and had faced interview of S P Jain Global. (though I had taken up the EMBA course) The interviewers were more interested in knowing how much effort I had put in to understand the new field. They asked me if I had done any finance certification courses . Luckily for me I had done my research and homework so it went well and I got admission. So my suggestion to you would be that don’t worry if you are from a different field. If your reasoning to switch fields is strong you will get through.

[quote]

Friend, I also had a similar profile to yours but in the IT Sector. I had more than 7 yrs of work ex in companies such as TCS, Reliance & GE. Like you, I also didn’t have any finance, consulting or marketing background but during my work ex I've gained a little experience of finance and consulting and had faced interview of S P Jain Global. (though I had taken up the EMBA course) The interviewers were more interested in knowing how much effort I had put in to understand the new field. They asked me if I had done any finance certification courses . Luckily for me I had done my research and homework so it went well and I got admission. So my suggestion to you would be that don’t worry if you are from a different field. If your reasoning to switch fields is strong you will get through.
[/quote]
rhea1980

To add to Prithvi, you would require a score of 650 - 700 in your GMAT. Since you have an interest in finance I suggest you do your MBA specialization in Finance. As Prithvi said just give a strong reason for your change in the field. I am sure you will do well. All the best .
Warm Regards,
Rhea Kohli
Edumentor

[quote][/quote] To add to Prithvi, you would require a score of 650 - 700 in your GMAT. Since you have an interest in finance I suggest you do your MBA specialization in Finance. As Prithvi said just give a strong reason for your change in the field. I am sure you will do well. All the best .
Warm Regards,
Rhea Kohli
Edumentor
anmolt

Thanks guys. This conversation really helped me.

[quote][/quote]

Thanks guys. This conversation really helped me.
Inactive User

I do want to pursue my MBA from either ISB or S P Jain Global as I have heard a lot about these two colleges.

Neither of these two business schools particularly excels in placements in finance. Realistically, if you want a career in finance you should look at programs in financial centers instead -- Columbia, HKUST, LBS, etc. Or, find a program that's strongly quantitative: Chicago - Booth, Simon, CEIBS...

There are so many good MBA programs that can help you get into finance there's no need to do one that simply won't help you with your goals.

[quote]I do want to pursue my MBA from either ISB or S P Jain Global as I have heard a lot about these two colleges.[/quote]
Neither of these two business schools particularly excels in placements in finance. Realistically, if you want a career in finance you should look at programs in financial centers instead -- Columbia, HKUST, LBS, etc. Or, find a program that's strongly quantitative: Chicago - Booth, Simon, CEIBS...

There are so many good MBA programs that can help you get into finance there's no need to do one that simply won't help you with your goals.

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

New York City, New York 158 Followers 259 Discussions
New York City, New York 177 Followers 249 Discussions
London, United Kingdom 168 Followers 475 Discussions
Hong Kong, Hong Kong (PRC) 31 Followers 162 Discussions

Other Related Content

Feb 07, 2024

London Business School Announces New 1-Year MBA

News Feb 07, 2024

Finance MBA Programs Seek to Retain Appeal Despite Downturn

Article Jun 17, 2010

In today's economic climate, is now the right time for a finance-focused MBA or MSc?

Top Business Schools for Private Equity

Top List

A list of the top ten best MBA programs for a career in private equity, venture capital, or leveraged buyouts