MBA in Canada commercial/marketing sector

David L

I'm from Ukraine. I have 3 years of experience in tax consulting, later I switched to retail sector and e-commerce. 5,5 experience in total. I want to get MBA in Canada both for education and also for some work experience in Canada after graduation. Probation on-line GMAT 680. I will pass GMAT in 2 weeks. I'm thinking about the following business schools:
UBC, U. of Alberta, Brock university, U of Victoria, W. Laurier U., Carleton U., Mcmaster U. Some other B. Schools are too expensive.
In what universities of these quality of education is the best? What about job prospects after MBA in Canada in e-commerce or other marketing/sales jobs with only smal foreign experience? Is it so Important that B-school schould be in large city in order to find a job during my studies?

[Edited by David L on Feb 03, 2015]

I'm from Ukraine. I have 3 years of experience in tax consulting, later I switched to retail sector and e-commerce. 5,5 experience in total. I want to get MBA in Canada both for education and also for some work experience in Canada after graduation. Probation on-line GMAT 680. I will pass GMAT in 2 weeks. I'm thinking about the following business schools:
UBC, U. of Alberta, Brock university, U of Victoria, W. Laurier U., Carleton U., Mcmaster U. Some other B. Schools are too expensive.
In what universities of these quality of education is the best? What about job prospects after MBA in Canada in e-commerce or other marketing/sales jobs with only smal foreign experience? Is it so Important that B-school schould be in large city in order to find a job during my studies?
badux

Sauder and Alberta are obviously the best schools in this list, given their status in the rankings. I think that you're fairly competitive at these schools, given your work experience and projected GMAT score.

Since they all have international accreditation, I don't think that quality of education should be too much of a concern. However, at the two ranked schools, you will most likely have access to better career services and access to employers than at the others. This will most likely be the biggest difference, and it's usually the reason that international students choose ranked schools over non-ranked schools.

You should do some research into post-MBA job paths for these schools. I'll say this much: UBC Sauder has great placements in marketing, and its Vancouver is a hub for technology, os there may be more relevant jobs here than in the other cities.

Sauder and Alberta are obviously the best schools in this list, given their status in the rankings. I think that you're fairly competitive at these schools, given your work experience and projected GMAT score.

Since they all have international accreditation, I don't think that quality of education should be too much of a concern. However, at the two ranked schools, you will most likely have access to better career services and access to employers than at the others. This will most likely be the biggest difference, and it's usually the reason that international students choose ranked schools over non-ranked schools.

You should do some research into post-MBA job paths for these schools. I'll say this much: UBC Sauder has great placements in marketing, and its Vancouver is a hub for technology, os there may be more relevant jobs here than in the other cities.

Unless you're talking about schools like U of T, Queens, and Ivey, I wouldn't base your entire decision on rankings. Most of these schools are similar in quality, so choose based on the location and program options. I would say, however, to avoid Carleton for its MBA program.

UBC is a great option for its location, and has a strong reputation. The Goodman School of Business at Brock is also a great school for people with tax experience. It has more of an accounting focus, so lots of networking opportunities with the Big 4 if you're interested in advisory/consulting. Their finance program is also picking up steam if you want to get into investment banking. They've also got a new program in Business Analytics. This is definitely an option to combine with Marketing.

Also, have you checked out the Ted Rogers School of Management at Ryerson? They have a strong program in Technology Management and Innovation. It's right downtown Toronto, so you'll have lots of networking opportunities.

[Edited by TorontoConsultant on Jun 26, 2015]

Unless you're talking about schools like U of T, Queens, and Ivey, I wouldn't base your entire decision on rankings. Most of these schools are similar in quality, so choose based on the location and program options. I would say, however, to avoid Carleton for its MBA program.

UBC is a great option for its location, and has a strong reputation. The Goodman School of Business at Brock is also a great school for people with tax experience. It has more of an accounting focus, so lots of networking opportunities with the Big 4 if you're interested in advisory/consulting. Their finance program is also picking up steam if you want to get into investment banking. They've also got a new program in Business Analytics. This is definitely an option to combine with Marketing.

Also, have you checked out the Ted Rogers School of Management at Ryerson? They have a strong program in Technology Management and Innovation. It's right downtown Toronto, so you'll have lots of networking opportunities.
badux

I still contend that probably the most important factor, at least for international students who want to transition to Canada, is going to be career services. And the best career services support will be provided by ranked business schools.

And this is verifiable: the ranked business schools publish career information, which shows that international students can and do make successful transitions. A school like Ryerson doesn't publish this info.

I still contend that probably the most important factor, at least for international students who want to transition to Canada, is going to be career services. And the best career services support will be provided by ranked business schools.

And this is verifiable: the ranked business schools publish career information, which shows that international students can and do make successful transitions. A school like Ryerson doesn't publish this info.
Pia_11

Hi TorontoConsultant,
Could you help me shortlist a few schools in Canada for MBA programs?

GMAT score: 540- Q (42) V(22) and IR(3)
Background: I am 25 years old, female candidate from India with my undergrad in engineering with 78.4%
Work experience: A total of 2 years and 9 months, with 2 years of experience in a non-profit organisation and handled CSR projects for corporates to raise funds for initiatives to help women. And have a social entrepreneurship experience for 9 months and counting.

I want to Marketing and Brand Management as my electives, and wish to work on business side of Media and Entertainment industry. I am looking for schools which will help achieve these goals.
Please help me shortlist, I want to apply for 2016 Fall.

Hi TorontoConsultant,
Could you help me shortlist a few schools in Canada for MBA programs?

GMAT score: 540- Q (42) V(22) and IR(3)
Background: I am 25 years old, female candidate from India with my undergrad in engineering with 78.4%
Work experience: A total of 2 years and 9 months, with 2 years of experience in a non-profit organisation and handled CSR projects for corporates to raise funds for initiatives to help women. And have a social entrepreneurship experience for 9 months and counting.

I want to Marketing and Brand Management as my electives, and wish to work on business side of Media and Entertainment industry. I am looking for schools which will help achieve these goals.
Please help me shortlist, I want to apply for 2016 Fall.

[quote]Unless you're talking about schools like U of T, Queens, and Ivey, I wouldn't base your entire decision on rankings. Most of these schools are similar in quality, so choose based on the location and program options. I would say, however, to avoid Carleton for its MBA program.

[/quote]

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

Vancouver, Canada 61 Followers 97 Discussions
St. Catharines, Canada 21 Followers 21 Discussions
Burlington, Canada 19 Followers 34 Discussions
Edmonton, Canada 50 Followers 53 Discussions
Victoria, Canada 10 Followers 13 Discussions
Toronto, Canada 7 Followers 16 Discussions
Ottawa, Canada 22 Followers 12 Discussions

Other Related Content

5 Questions for an MBA student in Canada—Anand Inbasekaran

Article May 26, 2015

Anand Inbasekaran, an Indian-born MBA student in Canada, discusses his experiences at Toronto - Rotman and his transition from software development to consulting