MBA for restaurant entrepreneur

I am researching MBA programs for somebody who is in the restaurant business. Specifically, I have opened one restaurant, and the experience was somewhat haphazard. Even so, the place is relatively successful and I would like to expand, either through product sales or by opening new locations.

To do so I feel I need a better foundation in core business skills, such as marketing, segmentation, new business development et al, and it seems like the most efficient way to do this is through an MBA. Problem is I don't know where to start. I know that there are decent programs that have a focus in entrepreneurship, like Em Lyon, which I am partial to due to location. But looking through that program's curriculum I don't see anything specifically adapted to somebody in my business. There are also hospitality programs, Cornell or whatever, but those seem to be too broad...

So I'd like to hear suggestions if anybody has them! France/Western Europe would be ideal but the US is fine too. Thanks in advance!!

I am researching MBA programs for somebody who is in the restaurant business. Specifically, I have opened one restaurant, and the experience was somewhat haphazard. Even so, the place is relatively successful and I would like to expand, either through product sales or by opening new locations.

To do so I feel I need a better foundation in core business skills, such as marketing, segmentation, new business development et al, and it seems like the most efficient way to do this is through an MBA. Problem is I don't know where to start. I know that there are decent programs that have a focus in entrepreneurship, like Em Lyon, which I am partial to due to location. But looking through that program's curriculum I don't see anything specifically adapted to somebody in my business. There are also hospitality programs, Cornell or whatever, but those seem to be too broad...

So I'd like to hear suggestions if anybody has them! France/Western Europe would be ideal but the US is fine too. Thanks in advance!!
Duncan

There will not be a useful MBA in running a restaurant. That's too specific a topic and, honestly, restaurants are not very different from hotels because of their specific features: capacity management, high fixed costs, staff retention, high role of physical evidence in the customer experience. The ESSEC hospitality MBA is the obvious choice because it has an entrepreneurship track.

There will not be a useful MBA in running a restaurant. That's too specific a topic and, honestly, restaurants are not very different from hotels because of their specific features: capacity management, high fixed costs, staff retention, high role of physical evidence in the customer experience. The ESSEC hospitality MBA is the obvious choice because it has an entrepreneurship track.

That is the conclusion I've come to as well. Thanks for the ESSEC suggestion, I'll look into it.

That is the conclusion I've come to as well. Thanks for the ESSEC suggestion, I'll look into it.
Duncan

I would also consider the ESSEC Global MBA if it gives you access to similar electives. In the MBA, you might want to have the space to change your mind.

I would also consider the ESSEC Global MBA if it gives you access to similar electives. In the MBA, you might want to have the space to change your mind.

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

Ithaca, New York 89 Followers 136 Discussions
St. Gallen, Switzerland 44 Followers 142 Discussions
Full Profile
Ecully, France 55 Followers 141 Discussions
Full Profile
Cergy-Pontoise, France 41 Followers 185 Discussions

Other Related Content

Jan 11, 2024

LinkedIn Launches MBA Rankings of US Business Schools

News Jan 11, 2024

Do Entrepreneurs need MBAs? The Benefits of an MBA in Entrepreneurship

Article Jan 25, 2018

MBA programs are beefing up their entrepreneurship offerings—but do you really need an MBA to launch a startup?

Top Business Schools for Entrepreneurs

Top List

For future entrepreneurs or those who want to push new products or initiatives inside of companies, an MBA program can provide the basic fundamentals on how to do it

Hot Discussions