MBA as a international student in America

pjoern

Hello,

I'm interested in a MBA program in America, especially in California or Florida.

My background:
- 3.5 years Bachelor degree in International Management (in Germany but all courses in english)

- 2.0 years Master of Science in Sales Management (in Germany and in german) (GPA=3,4)

I finished both programs after work (from 6-9pm) so I have more than 6 years of work experience. Between the two programs I spend 6 month in USA and worked for an American company.

My questions:
1. I dont want to make a specilized MBA. So which program do you recommend to get a deeper understanding and knowledge of Sales & Marketing (prefered in CA or FL)

2. What do you think would it be possible to get a scholoarship at a business school?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Best regards

Hello,

I'm interested in a MBA program in America, especially in California or Florida.

My background:
- 3.5 years Bachelor degree in International Management (in Germany but all courses in english)

- 2.0 years Master of Science in Sales Management (in Germany and in german) (GPA=3,4)

I finished both programs after work (from 6-9pm) so I have more than 6 years of work experience. Between the two programs I spend 6 month in USA and worked for an American company.

My questions:
1. I dont want to make a specilized MBA. So which program do you recommend to get a deeper understanding and knowledge of Sales & Marketing (prefered in CA or FL)

2. What do you think would it be possible to get a scholoarship at a business school?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Best regards
Mamit

Well, though the choice will depend on a number of factors like your GMAT score, budget, etc. UC Berkeley-Haas Business School, USC Marshall School of Business, University of San Diego, Stanford, UC Davis & Pepperdine. These have AACSB, AMBA or EQUIS accredition. Also, take your GMAT and try to score a 700+.

As far as scholarships are concerned these are far less in business programs as compared to technical programs.

Well, though the choice will depend on a number of factors like your GMAT score, budget, etc. UC Berkeley-Haas Business School, USC Marshall School of Business, University of San Diego, Stanford, UC Davis & Pepperdine. These have AACSB, AMBA or EQUIS accredition. Also, take your GMAT and try to score a 700+.

As far as scholarships are concerned these are far less in business programs as compared to technical programs.
ezra

One thing to note is that business schools will probably not consider work experience that you accrued before or during your bachelor's degree program. So as you are looking at your competitiveness at MBA programs based on average work experience of the cohorts, keep that in mind.

Mamit's right, a big part of your application will be based on your GMAT score.

It's possible to get a scholarship but this will depend on the schools you are applying to. Having something extraordinary about your profile -- a super high GMAT score, more work experience than normal, or something else interesting -- is usually necessary. Check with the schools you are applying to.

There are many, many MBA programs that can give you a good sense of sales and marketing. I would use the Businessweek rankings as a guide, and Mamit has given you a few good Californian schools; here are some schools in Florida you might look into as well:

Florida - Hough (currently ranked 46 in BW)
Florida International University (currently ranked 65 in BW)
The University of Miami (currently ranked 72 in BW)
The University of Tampa - Sykes

One thing to note is that business schools will probably not consider work experience that you accrued before or during your bachelor's degree program. So as you are looking at your competitiveness at MBA programs based on average work experience of the cohorts, keep that in mind.

Mamit's right, a big part of your application will be based on your GMAT score.

It's possible to get a scholarship but this will depend on the schools you are applying to. Having something extraordinary about your profile -- a super high GMAT score, more work experience than normal, or something else interesting -- is usually necessary. Check with the schools you are applying to.

There are many, many MBA programs that can give you a good sense of sales and marketing. I would use the Businessweek rankings as a guide, and Mamit has given you a few good Californian schools; here are some schools in Florida you might look into as well:

Florida - Hough (currently ranked 46 in BW)
Florida International University (currently ranked 65 in BW)
The University of Miami (currently ranked 72 in BW)
The University of Tampa - Sykes

Can you explain what you mean by this? Is it that hard to get scholarships for MBA programs if you are an international student?

[quote]As far as scholarships are concerned these are far less in business programs as compared to technical programs.[/quote]
Can you explain what you mean by this? Is it that hard to get scholarships for MBA programs if you are an international student?
Duncan

Yes, and in particular US scholarships are targeted more on PhDs than on MBAs.

Yes, and in particular US scholarships are targeted more on PhDs than on MBAs.

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

Berkeley, California 100 Followers 116 Discussions
Davis, California 21 Followers 26 Discussions
Los Angeles, California 103 Followers 120 Discussions
Los Angeles, California 45 Followers 47 Discussions
San Diego, California 55 Followers 28 Discussions
Stanford, California 96 Followers 171 Discussions

Other Related Content

Sep 11, 2023

The GMAC MBA Tour Lands in Africa Sept. 13-19

News Sep 11, 2023

A Place in the Sun: MBA Programs in California

Article May 08, 2010

Nice weather aside, California is still the place to go for those seeking the next big thing.

Hot Discussions