MBA Advice

ranvesh

Hi there,

I am an Indian, 27 years old. I have passed out 5 years back with a graduation in BTech (Engineering). I have only 3 years of work experience, as i was preparing for other Competitive exams , there are blanks in my post-engineering period.

My academic performance is good untill my high school, but in my engineering it is poor. 5.1/10 . But the college I passed out is among the top 10 in India . Somehow I couldnt focus on my studies then. But, I have an excellent competitive exam trackrecord. I have cracked Through IIT , AIEEE and other such exams. Even during my competitive exams preparation I have made it upto interviews for some hard-nuts. So , by this understanding of mine, I believe I can score a good score in GMAT/GRE/TOEFL etc. I am confident of a score of 650-700 in GMAT.

Speaking about my family, I come from a upper middle class family, my father should be able to afford for my overseas education easily, but that's post convincing him that, MBA will be a good option to put my already out-of-the-line career in track and he should also be explained about the work opportunities in that country that I will study. But he asks me the question when you couldnt perform here in India for graduation, how can I expect to perform for MBA and in abroad? I am trying to answer this by 1) By putting up a goodshow in GMAT 2) By Writing a SOP reflecting my passion 3) By gathering the collective information about the course/country/cost/workopportunities.

My preference : I want to get into the best college, that I can possibly get into, within the ambits of academic and work experience. I like Western European countries and even other european countries. I like North American countries as well. But my preference would be a coollege where I can get a balance of good college and work opportunity.

Somehow Im confident about GMAT score. Also I can put up work experience that I was instrumental in establishing my Dad's business we founed 5 years ago.

Please let me know how I should take this forward or other information that you would want to talk about.

Thank you Very much
Ranvesh

[Edited by ranvesh on Dec 20, 2014]

Hi there,

I am an Indian, 27 years old. I have passed out 5 years back with a graduation in BTech (Engineering). I have only 3 years of work experience, as i was preparing for other Competitive exams , there are blanks in my post-engineering period.

My academic performance is good untill my high school, but in my engineering it is poor. 5.1/10 . But the college I passed out is among the top 10 in India . Somehow I couldnt focus on my studies then. But, I have an excellent competitive exam trackrecord. I have cracked Through IIT , AIEEE and other such exams. Even during my competitive exams preparation I have made it upto interviews for some hard-nuts. So , by this understanding of mine, I believe I can score a good score in GMAT/GRE/TOEFL etc. I am confident of a score of 650-700 in GMAT.

Speaking about my family, I come from a upper middle class family, my father should be able to afford for my overseas education easily, but that's post convincing him that, MBA will be a good option to put my already out-of-the-line career in track and he should also be explained about the work opportunities in that country that I will study. But he asks me the question when you couldnt perform here in India for graduation, how can I expect to perform for MBA and in abroad? I am trying to answer this by 1) By putting up a goodshow in GMAT 2) By Writing a SOP reflecting my passion 3) By gathering the collective information about the course/country/cost/workopportunities.

My preference : I want to get into the best college, that I can possibly get into, within the ambits of academic and work experience. I like Western European countries and even other european countries. I like North American countries as well. But my preference would be a coollege where I can get a balance of good college and work opportunity.

Somehow Im confident about GMAT score. Also I can put up work experience that I was instrumental in establishing my Dad's business we founed 5 years ago.

Please let me know how I should take this forward or other information that you would want to talk about.

Thank you Very much
Ranvesh
Duncan

These are very general issues. Read through the posts linked to at http://find-mba.com/about/Duncan and work hard on your GMAT.

These are very general issues. Read through the posts linked to at http://find-mba.com/about/Duncan and work hard on your GMAT.
Inactive User

I suggest you narrow down your options by geography. If you were looking to work in the country where you study after graduation, choose a school in a country where you can speak the language and where there's decent employment options.

Three years of work experience is really the bare minimum for an MBA, so do what you can to get your GMAT score up. Something like Fordham, for instance, might be a good pick, but the average work experience is in the 5.5 year range, which means you should try to substantially outscore the GMAT average, which is 630ish.

If you want to be in Europe and don't really care about post-MBA jobs in the country where you study, perhaps a school like ESADE might be a decent choice; that school provides a nice mix of student life and studying. Barcelona is a great city too.

I suggest you narrow down your options by geography. If you were looking to work in the country where you study after graduation, choose a school in a country where you can speak the language and where there's decent employment options.

Three years of work experience is really the bare minimum for an MBA, so do what you can to get your GMAT score up. Something like Fordham, for instance, might be a good pick, but the average work experience is in the 5.5 year range, which means you should try to substantially outscore the GMAT average, which is 630ish.

If you want to be in Europe and don't really care about post-MBA jobs in the country where you study, perhaps a school like ESADE might be a decent choice; that school provides a nice mix of student life and studying. Barcelona is a great city too.

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

New York City, New York 49 Followers 73 Discussions
Barcelona, Spain 49 Followers 245 Discussions

Other Related Content

Europe or America? Where to Do an MBA

Article Jun 15, 2010

On which side of the Atlantic should get your MBA on? And what should you expect once you decide?

Hot Discussions