Master Supply Chain (Past - Engg+MBA Sales + 9yrs Work Exp)

RRajan

Hi all,

Need your advice as career path forward. I am Process Engineer (4yrs) immediately followed with an MBA (awarded 2005, GMAT 690) from UK (Huddersfield). Plus I have 9yrs work exp in Oil & Gas services, sales & marketing, regional sales roles, APAC remit etc...

I am seriously considering a career change to take up a full Masters in Supply Chain and Logistics, with view of its use in Oil & gas industry. I have started my GMAT prep and aim at 710+ scores.

Please advice - considering i want to go to a top masters program:
a) if a top tier MBA school would accept me as a career changer (from sales to Supply chain), esp since I have an MBA...
b) Any exp people who have made this transition from sales or others to Supply chain...as a mid career change...
c) which schools should i aim for?

Any other tips would help...

thanks,,
Ron

Hi all,

Need your advice as career path forward. I am Process Engineer (4yrs) immediately followed with an MBA (awarded 2005, GMAT 690) from UK (Huddersfield). Plus I have 9yrs work exp in Oil & Gas services, sales & marketing, regional sales roles, APAC remit etc...

I am seriously considering a career change to take up a full Masters in Supply Chain and Logistics, with view of its use in Oil & gas industry. I have started my GMAT prep and aim at 710+ scores.

Please advice - considering i want to go to a top masters program:
a) if a top tier MBA school would accept me as a career changer (from sales to Supply chain), esp since I have an MBA...
b) Any exp people who have made this transition from sales or others to Supply chain...as a mid career change...
c) which schools should i aim for?

Any other tips would help...

thanks,,
Ron
Duncan

The MIT and ZLOG degrees would be at the top of my list if I was you. There is a good list of MSc options at http://www.best-masters.com/ranking-master-supply-chain-and-logistics.html

My question is: would you really learn something from an MSc aimed at pre-experience students when you are already experienced in oil and gas processes? What is preventing you from applying for jobs as an experienced sales expert and then moving into a supply chain role?

At the bottom of this page is a listing of top programmes for supply chain. I think most of those will be happy to recruit someone who has taken a pre-experience 'freshers' MBA like Huddersfield which does not have international accreditation.

Would a part-time MSc or MBA focussed on supply chain be better for you? The ETH, Cranfield, GA Tech, EPFL all stand out.

The MIT and ZLOG degrees would be at the top of my list if I was you. There is a good list of MSc options at http://www.best-masters.com/ranking-master-supply-chain-and-logistics.html

My question is: would you really learn something from an MSc aimed at pre-experience students when you are already experienced in oil and gas processes? What is preventing you from applying for jobs as an experienced sales expert and then moving into a supply chain role?

At the bottom of this page is a listing of top programmes for supply chain. I think most of those will be happy to recruit someone who has taken a pre-experience 'freshers' MBA like Huddersfield which does not have international accreditation.

Would a part-time MSc or MBA focussed on supply chain be better for you? The ETH, Cranfield, GA Tech, EPFL all stand out.
RRajan

Hi Duncan,

Really clear thought - many thanks. I do now understand that an MSc would be less of a interesting program to approach SC Mgmt, than a full time MBA. Moving directly from a sales role to supply chain/logistics is something i did try earlier, but was unsuccessful.

Would you them recommend taking up a full time high ranked MBA from a top tier (ivy and similar) as to be the best career option, in a sense that I do now intend to spend atleast the next significant portion of my life pursuing S-Chain as a career.

Also this brings me to the point, of whether a Top Tier Schools can also help me in applying for jobs post my second MBA. What is the overall nature of post degree recruitment. Also, if I stick to O&G, will my 9yrs sales experience in the field come in handy for my next role?

Thanks again,
Ronak

Hi Duncan,

Really clear thought - many thanks. I do now understand that an MSc would be less of a interesting program to approach SC Mgmt, than a full time MBA. Moving directly from a sales role to supply chain/logistics is something i did try earlier, but was unsuccessful.

Would you them recommend taking up a full time high ranked MBA from a top tier (ivy and similar) as to be the best career option, in a sense that I do now intend to spend atleast the next significant portion of my life pursuing S-Chain as a career.

Also this brings me to the point, of whether a Top Tier Schools can also help me in applying for jobs post my second MBA. What is the overall nature of post degree recruitment. Also, if I stick to O&G, will my 9yrs sales experience in the field come in handy for my next role?

Thanks again,
Ronak

Duncan

I think a very advanced masters, like the MIT, ZLOG, ETH, EPFL etc courses xould be more effective than an MBA. The key thing is this: if the cohort is high quality and has some work experience then it can attract the right employers. Placement is very strong from MIT and ZLOG. If you take a top MBA then look for a longer programme with more time to drill down into supply chain issues, like a US degree and the advanced track at HHL.

Overall recruitment differs by programme and school. Use the rankings.

I think a very advanced masters, like the MIT, ZLOG, ETH, EPFL etc courses xould be more effective than an MBA. The key thing is this: if the cohort is high quality and has some work experience then it can attract the right employers. Placement is very strong from MIT and ZLOG. If you take a top MBA then look for a longer programme with more time to drill down into supply chain issues, like a US degree and the advanced track at HHL.

Overall recruitment differs by programme and school. Use the rankings.

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

Cambridge, Massachusetts 53 Followers 175 Discussions
Bedford, United Kingdom 44 Followers 413 Discussions
Atlanta, Georgia 15 Followers 29 Discussions
Lausanne, Switzerland 4 Followers 6 Discussions
Zurich, Switzerland 19 Followers 7 Discussions

Other Related Content

Jan 11, 2024

LinkedIn Launches MBA Rankings of US Business Schools

News Jan 11, 2024

Learning Logistics in a Supply Chain MBA

Article Sep 15, 2015

Every company needs a logistics whiz who understands supply chain management—and the demand for these positions is only growing.

Top Business Schools for Supply Chain Management

Top List

Effective supply chain management (SCM) practices have become essential to firms in many industries, particularly since globalization has widened the geographic distances between suppliers, manufacturers, and customers

Hot Discussions