Is MBA with 2 years Exp Worth?

Hi All,
I'm Naresh from Hyderabad, India. I just need some assistance and views whether taking up an MBA is worth or not?

I've done my Engineering from Anna University, Chennai and I'm currently working in one of the biggest International Bank, for the IT Services.

I've 2 years of work experience and I'm planning to give a shot to the MBA by end of this year and join a University by next fall. (so I would be having almost 3 years of exp by then)

I'm not that very interested in coding and development and I'm currently working in system administration.

But, I'm very much interested in Business management and
planning to do a MBA abroad (Singapore, Canada, Europe).

How do you people want me to proceed?

Is it worth doing an MBA now? Can I get into the Business management roles in top firms? Do you want me to take up a Executive MBA or Full time (2 year) MBA? Is MBA abroad worth?

Please shed some light on how do I shape my career plan? You are always welcome to suggest anything good or bad. Thanks in advance for all your suggestions and ideas.

Regards,
Naresh Ramadurai

Hi All,
I'm Naresh from Hyderabad, India. I just need some assistance and views whether taking up an MBA is worth or not?

I've done my Engineering from Anna University, Chennai and I'm currently working in one of the biggest International Bank, for the IT Services.

I've 2 years of work experience and I'm planning to give a shot to the MBA by end of this year and join a University by next fall. (so I would be having almost 3 years of exp by then)

I'm not that very interested in coding and development and I'm currently working in system administration.

But, I'm very much interested in Business management and
planning to do a MBA abroad (Singapore, Canada, Europe).

How do you people want me to proceed?

Is it worth doing an MBA now? Can I get into the Business management roles in top firms? Do you want me to take up a Executive MBA or Full time (2 year) MBA? Is MBA abroad worth?

Please shed some light on how do I shape my career plan? You are always welcome to suggest anything good or bad. Thanks in advance for all your suggestions and ideas.

Regards,
Naresh Ramadurai
ezra

I think you'll have to do some thinking about where you want to end up, both in terms of location and industry. Maybe take a year to formulate a plan?

The reason why I suggest that, is because even though two or three years of work experience is usually the minimum required for an MBA program, in many programs the minimum is simply not competitive. For instance, successful applicants to Canada's Ivey school have about four and half years of experience, on average. At Queen's, the average is four years.

At this point, you might find that you're competitive at some lower tier schools, or potentially some in the US, where average work experience for many schools tends to be lower (you can check out Northeastern or Pitt - Katz, for example.)

Having less experience will mean that the other parts of your application (your GMAT score; your essays) must be exceptional. But keep in mind that your profile (an IT professional from India) is a very competitive one, so you'll have to find something to give you an edge.

I think you'll have to do some thinking about where you want to end up, both in terms of location and industry. Maybe take a year to formulate a plan?

The reason why I suggest that, is because even though two or three years of work experience is usually the minimum required for an MBA program, in many programs the minimum is simply not competitive. For instance, successful applicants to Canada's Ivey school have about four and half years of experience, on average. At Queen's, the average is four years.

At this point, you might find that you're competitive at some lower tier schools, or potentially some in the US, where average work experience for many schools tends to be lower (you can check out Northeastern or Pitt - Katz, for example.)

Having less experience will mean that the other parts of your application (your GMAT score; your essays) must be exceptional. But keep in mind that your profile (an IT professional from India) is a very competitive one, so you'll have to find something to give you an edge.
Sparks

In short, no. I personally believe that an MBA isn't worth it with such limited work experience.

In short, no. I personally believe that an MBA isn't worth it with such limited work experience.

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

London, Canada 38 Followers 77 Discussions
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 31 Followers 55 Discussions
Boston, Massachusetts 27 Followers 31 Discussions