GMAT 720, 3Yr SAP experience. Need opinions

rohitvk

Hello everyone,

I would like your opinion on my profile and suggestions on which schools I should target.

GMAT: 720

Interest: IT/Technology. But not 100% decided on what track I would like to chose.
Geography: Looking for programs in US/Canada/Europe

Here is the list of universities/programs that I have shortlisted so far:

Europe:
- University of Mannheim: Masters in Management
- University of Muenster: MSc in Information Systems
- HS Pforzheim MBA in International Management
- Aalto University: Masters in International Business

German language knowledge - nil. But I am going to start learning German in couple of months.
I really liked Pforzheim MBA course structure and the fact that it has integrated German language booster course. Also the course is AACSB accredited and fee is affordable. But I am not sure whether it is good for my profile. So I would like to know your opinions about it.

Hello everyone,

I would like your opinion on my profile and suggestions on which schools I should target.

GMAT: 720

Interest: IT/Technology. But not 100% decided on what track I would like to chose.
Geography: Looking for programs in US/Canada/Europe

Here is the list of universities/programs that I have shortlisted so far:

Europe:
- University of Mannheim: Masters in Management
- University of Muenster: MSc in Information Systems
- HS Pforzheim MBA in International Management
- Aalto University: Masters in International Business

German language knowledge - nil. But I am going to start learning German in couple of months.
I really liked Pforzheim MBA course structure and the fact that it has integrated German language booster course. Also the course is AACSB accredited and fee is affordable. But I am not sure whether it is good for my profile. So I would like to know your opinions about it.
Duncan

Did you read http://www.find-mba.com/board/29599 ?

rohitvk

Hi JK Duncan,
Thanks for the quick reply! Yes, I did read that thread. And based on your reply in some other thread in past, I have also checked CEU Budapest. Regarding UK colleges, I am not sure if that is a good idea considering the strict visa regulations. I would like to get at last 2-3 years of international experience along with the degree.
So, I didn't find any program in that thread that fit my requirements except maybe CEU.

So could you please evaluate my list in previous post and following two -
- CEU, Budapest: MBA
- St. Gallen: Masters in Strategy and International Management (this I forgot to mention earlier)

Thanks!

<blockquote>Did you read http://www.find-mba.com/board/29599 ?</blockquote>

Hi JK Duncan,
Thanks for the quick reply! Yes, I did read that thread. And based on your reply in some other thread in past, I have also checked CEU Budapest. Regarding UK colleges, I am not sure if that is a good idea considering the strict visa regulations. I would like to get at last 2-3 years of international experience along with the degree.
So, I didn't find any program in that thread that fit my requirements except maybe CEU.

So could you please evaluate my list in previous post and following two -
- CEU, Budapest: MBA
- St. Gallen: Masters in Strategy and International Management (this I forgot to mention earlier)

Thanks!
Duncan

Unless you have foreign language skills, then go to the US. Prioritise the schools roughly in line with the rankings of their MBAs.

Unless you have foreign language skills, then go to the US. Prioritise the schools roughly in line with the rankings of their MBAs.
ezra

Good advice from Duncan.

To elaborate, the language would be an issue, especially in Germany, if you wanted to stay in the country and work after graduation. You'd probably be able to secure a work visa, but without solid German skills, it would be tough to land a good job.

If you're planning on immediately returning to your home country, and just want to study abroad, then CEU would be a very good choice, considering the low fees and low cost of living. There's also a large international community in Budapest, so landing a job in an English-speaking environment is a bit more likely, although it's still not a given.

Good advice from Duncan.

To elaborate, the language would be an issue, especially in Germany, if you wanted to stay in the country and work after graduation. You'd probably be able to secure a work visa, but without solid German skills, it would be tough to land a good job.

If you're planning on immediately returning to your home country, and just want to study abroad, then CEU would be a very good choice, considering the low fees and low cost of living. There's also a large international community in Budapest, so landing a job in an English-speaking environment is a bit more likely, although it's still not a given.
rohitvk

Thanks for the reply Duncan, ezra.

Between CEU and Pforzheim, which would be better? Asking this because Pforzheim has AACSB. But I guess in terms of brand and opportunities, CEU is better?

Thanks for the reply Duncan, ezra.

Between CEU and Pforzheim, which would be better? Asking this because Pforzheim has AACSB. But I guess in terms of brand and opportunities, CEU is better?
Duncan

Personally, I think I would choose Pforzheim but most student will be better off at the CEU. At Pforzheim you have more courses and the opportunity for an in-depth thesis as well as German language courses. It has a good range of marketing electives. CEU, however, has much strong concentrations and can one semester shorter because there's no thesis. The CEU has has a very strong boardroom exercise (Durham has something slightly similar). If you have time for the extra semester than, instead of a thesis, you can go to one of the CEU's exchange schools -- which are much better than those of Pforzheim.

Personally, I think I would choose Pforzheim but most student will be better off at the CEU. At Pforzheim you have more courses and the opportunity for an in-depth thesis as well as German language courses. It has a good range of marketing electives. CEU, however, has much strong concentrations and can one semester shorter because there's no thesis. The CEU has has a very strong boardroom exercise (Durham has something slightly similar). If you have time for the extra semester than, instead of a thesis, you can go to one of the CEU's exchange schools -- which are much better than those of Pforzheim.
donho199

I think your profile can be suitable for a well-ranked MBA which adds a lot more values to yourself than an MSc.

I think your profile can be suitable for a well-ranked MBA which adds a lot more values to yourself than an MSc.
Duncan

Yes, but remember that the starting salary from the MSc at the HSG is going to be higher than for the MBA at CEU. The 'academic' quality of students and alumni network will also be better.

PS The experiences are quite different: not just the courses but also the cities: St Gallen is a very small town, really in the middle of nowhere.

Yes, but remember that the starting salary from the MSc at the HSG is going to be higher than for the MBA at CEU. The 'academic' quality of students and alumni network will also be better.

PS The experiences are quite different: not just the courses but also the cities: St Gallen is a very small town, really in the middle of nowhere.
rohitvk

Thank you Duncan for your replies.

Even I liked Pforzheim course structure and the option to study German parallel to normal courses. One major reason why I want to study abroad is to experience new things apart from the basic program itself. The thought of learning new culture, language, excites me. Otherwise I can apply to a good Indian school if I just want to get MBA. But as this might be the last degree program that I will attend, I want it to be a different and enriching experience, not just a way to earn more money.
CEU MBA also looks good. I will apply to both.

HSG SIM also looks very good considering FT ranking and average salaries. I have a query regarding this program.
According to the website, tuition per semester is ~1760 euro (2126 CHF)
and living expenses ~2000 CHF or ~1650 euro!
So living expenses total around 29700 euro!! Is this calculation correct? living expenses so high?

donho199, Thanks. I am aware that my profile can probably fetch me better MBA admits. But I do not have sufficient resources to pay for those programs and am not convinced to take a huge loan.

Thank you Duncan for your replies.

Even I liked Pforzheim course structure and the option to study German parallel to normal courses. One major reason why I want to study abroad is to experience new things apart from the basic program itself. The thought of learning new culture, language, excites me. Otherwise I can apply to a good Indian school if I just want to get MBA. But as this might be the last degree program that I will attend, I want it to be a different and enriching experience, not just a way to earn more money.
CEU MBA also looks good. I will apply to both.

HSG SIM also looks very good considering FT ranking and average salaries. I have a query regarding this program.
So living expenses total around 29700 euro!! Is this calculation correct? living expenses so high?

donho199, Thanks. I am aware that my profile can probably fetch me better MBA admits. But I do not have sufficient resources to pay for those programs and am not convinced to take a huge loan.
Duncan

Yes, I think it's reasonable to expect Switzerland to be around the twice the price of the surrounding countries.

Yes, I think it's reasonable to expect Switzerland to be around the twice the price of the surrounding countries.
Inactive User

Yes, Switzerland is not cheap.

What are your long-term career goals? If you're planning on going back to India after graduation, there's an argument to be made for going with the CEU MBA program (especially since the cost of living in Budapest is so much lower.)

I think the St. Gallen program would be more beneficial if you wanted to end up working in Switzerland or somewhere else in Western Europe.

<blockquote>According to the website, tuition per semester is ~1760 euro (2126 CHF)
So living expenses total around 29700 euro!! Is this calculation correct? living expenses so high?</blockquote>
Yes, Switzerland is not cheap.

What are your long-term career goals? If you're planning on going back to India after graduation, there's an argument to be made for going with the CEU MBA program (especially since the cost of living in Budapest is so much lower.)

I think the St. Gallen program would be more beneficial if you wanted to end up working in Switzerland or somewhere else in Western Europe.
rohitvk

I would like to work in Europe (or US, if I study in US) for a few years before returning to India.
But St. Gallen is expensive (for my budget) when I factor in living expenses :(

Duncan, what is your opinion about Mannheim Business School, Masters in Management? If I am not wrong, this program is ranked 14 in 2012FT rankings.
And regarding HS Pforzheim, I was not able to find salary statistics but I contacted one student and the figure I got is about 50-60k euro gross annually. If I want to stay in technology sector post MBA - where I assume English would be one of the major language of communication, would I still require fluent German language to secure a job?

And one general observation, I was going through many programs in FT ranking (Masters in Management). But for most of the programs, previous education in Business/Economics - either entirely or in part - is required! So going by the requirements, I don't think I would be eligible for most of the programs.

<blockquote>

I think the St. Gallen program would be more beneficial if you wanted to end up working in Switzerland or somewhere else in Western Europe.</blockquote>

I would like to work in Europe (or US, if I study in US) for a few years before returning to India.
But St. Gallen is expensive (for my budget) when I factor in living expenses :(

Duncan, what is your opinion about Mannheim Business School, Masters in Management? If I am not wrong, this program is ranked 14 in 2012FT rankings.
And regarding HS Pforzheim, I was not able to find salary statistics but I contacted one student and the figure I got is about 50-60k euro gross annually. If I want to stay in technology sector post MBA - where I assume English would be one of the major language of communication, would I still require fluent German language to secure a job?

And one general observation, I was going through many programs in FT ranking (Masters in Management). But for most of the programs, previous education in Business/Economics - either entirely or in part - is required! So going by the requirements, I don't think I would be eligible for most of the programs.
Duncan

Yes. For an MBA role you would need German. Internal and external customers speak German, and they cannot explain requirements as well in English. Just because IT people can read documentation or program in English that doesn't mean their clients will comfortably and fluently work in it.

Mannheim is a strong school.

There is a column in the FT MSc ranking to show those who do, or do not require a business degree. Only one of the top six schools does.

Yes. For an MBA role you would need German. Internal and external customers speak German, and they cannot explain requirements as well in English. Just because IT people can read documentation or program in English that doesn't mean their clients will comfortably and fluently work in it.

There is a column in the FT MSc ranking to show those who do, or do not require a business degree. Only one of the top six schools does.
rohitvk

Thanks a lot for patiently replying to my queries!
And thanks for pointing out the option to check 'relevant degree' option! Wow, that makes it really easy to sort the programs :)

<blockquote>Yes. For an MBA role you would need German. Internal and external customers speak German, and they cannot explain requirements as well in English. Just because IT people can read documentation or program in English that doesn't mean their clients will comfortably and fluently work in it.

There is a column in the FT MSc ranking to show those who do, or do not require a business degree. Only one of the top six schools does. </blockquote>

Thanks a lot for patiently replying to my queries!
And thanks for pointing out the option to check 'relevant degree' option! Wow, that makes it really easy to sort the programs :)

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

Helsinki, Finland 19 Followers 18 Discussions
Cincinnati, Ohio 3 Followers 27 Discussions
Chicago, Illinois 22 Followers 21 Discussions
St. Gallen, Switzerland 44 Followers 142 Discussions
College Station, Texas 42 Followers 62 Discussions
Full Profile
Pforzheim, Germany 45 Followers 83 Discussions
Mannheim, Germany 80 Followers 220 Discussions
Vienna, Austria 19 Followers 69 Discussions
Bloomington, Indiana 41 Followers 82 Discussions