Do I stand a chance?

More Online MBA discussions at FIND MBA Online
rtotolo

First of all, thanks for taking the time to read this and assess...

I really want to get into the University of Florida Online MBA, but I'm not sure my GMAT is going to cut it. Stats are below. Let me know what you think...

Graduated from Providence College in 2010 - 3.23 GPA
Project Manager at Oceaneering International
Largest project managed - $48 million for Shell Oil
Captain at Army National Guard
Project Management Professional Cert though PMI
Project Leadership Cert - Cornell Univ.
GMAT - 530

First of all, thanks for taking the time to read this and assess...

I really want to get into the University of Florida Online MBA, but I'm not sure my GMAT is going to cut it. Stats are below. Let me know what you think...

Graduated from Providence College in 2010 - 3.23 GPA
Project Manager at Oceaneering International
Largest project managed - $48 million for Shell Oil
Captain at Army National Guard
Project Management Professional Cert though PMI
Project Leadership Cert - Cornell Univ.
GMAT - 530
Duncan

You sound like a smart guy. You can do a lot better than 530. Are you weaker on the quant side or the verbal side?

PS Most native speakers with your broad background can easily hit 600 with the right strategy and 50 to 100 hours work.

[Edited by Duncan on Feb 27, 2015]

You sound like a smart guy. You can do a lot better than 530. Are you weaker on the quant side or the verbal side?

PS Most native speakers with your broad background can easily hit 600 with the right strategy and 50 to 100 hours work.
rtotolo

500 was my last Practice Test 5 days ago. Before that score, I put in about 40 cumulative hours of studying. I'm going to put in about another 10 hrs and take a practice test again in 2 days. Then, I'll put in about another 15 hours and take the real test in a week. I am estimating that I should get between 520-550. Just curious, if I only get a 520-530 if my experience and other items will be enough. I'll also have some strong recommendations (with specific plans for my future) from my immediate boss and Sr VP. UF's average for the 1 Year Online program is 600.

500 was my last Practice Test 5 days ago. Before that score, I put in about 40 cumulative hours of studying. I'm going to put in about another 10 hrs and take a practice test again in 2 days. Then, I'll put in about another 15 hours and take the real test in a week. I am estimating that I should get between 520-550. Just curious, if I only get a 520-530 if my experience and other items will be enough. I'll also have some strong recommendations (with specific plans for my future) from my immediate boss and Sr VP. UF's average for the 1 Year Online program is 600.
Duncan

Try working with a GMAT tutor. There are problems two or three simple things you can do differently to get a higher score.

Try working with a GMAT tutor. There are problems two or three simple things you can do differently to get a higher score.
badux

I think it's definitely possible, it's just a matter of targeted practice. One thing to consider though is that the GMAT isn't everything; competitiveness is also judged in terms of an applicants work experience (eight years is the average for the program), along with all the other parts of an application: recommendations, undergraduate GPA, etc

If you can't get to the 600 average, you should try to have something else that's stronger than the average: more than eight years of work experience would help.

I think it's definitely possible, it's just a matter of targeted practice. One thing to consider though is that the GMAT isn't everything; competitiveness is also judged in terms of an applicants work experience (eight years is the average for the program), along with all the other parts of an application: recommendations, undergraduate GPA, etc

If you can't get to the 600 average, you should try to have something else that's stronger than the average: more than eight years of work experience would help.

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

Other Related Content

Can a Low GMAT Score Kill Your B-School Dreams?

Article Aug 30, 2013

Why your GMAT score is important, and what it tells MBA admissions people about you