Can part time MBAs be used to change careers?

ask10920

I keep reading that part time MBA programs can be valuable for people who don't want to make big career shifts, but I'm sort of in the other category: I've been working in sales but want to transition into a supply chain or operations role. I was considering doing my MBA on a part time basis at UNC Greensboro, which is close to me, but the UNC Charlotte program would also be possible if that one is considered to be better. Would one of these schools be more effective for me to make my career transition?

I keep reading that part time MBA programs can be valuable for people who don't want to make big career shifts, but I'm sort of in the other category: I've been working in sales but want to transition into a supply chain or operations role. I was considering doing my MBA on a part time basis at UNC Greensboro, which is close to me, but the UNC Charlotte program would also be possible if that one is considered to be better. Would one of these schools be more effective for me to make my career transition?
Duncan

Take a look at How to use LinkedIn to find the best school www.find-mba.com/board/33571
and
Shortcut to find the best US MBA www.find-mba.com/board/36065

UNCG gets a higher BW ranking than UNCC, and I guess it benefits from having a larger full-time program which draws in employers.

Take a look at How to use LinkedIn to find the best school www.find-mba.com/board/33571
and
Shortcut to find the best US MBA www.find-mba.com/board/36065

UNCG gets a higher BW ranking than UNCC, and I guess it benefits from having a larger full-time program which draws in employers.

Hi I shifted from India to Dubai back in 2008 in search of better job opportunities. Since then I have been working in the sales department of Ikea solutions. But now I have started feeling the need of exploring a different career option. I always wanted to get into marketing and hence I was planning to take up MBA in marketing. I am not sure if pursuing a part time or online MBA with a different specialization will help me getting jobs in that particular field. Can someone please suggest me what to take up?

Hi I shifted from India to Dubai back in 2008 in search of better job opportunities. Since then I have been working in the sales department of Ikea solutions. But now I have started feeling the need of exploring a different career option. I always wanted to get into marketing and hence I was planning to take up MBA in marketing. I am not sure if pursuing a part time or online MBA with a different specialization will help me getting jobs in that particular field. Can someone please suggest me what to take up?
rhea1980

Hi, I have been an education consultant for more than 12 years and I have observed that changing professions in mid 30s is a current trend. There are tons of people who change their specialization after pursuing an MBA and you would definitely get good job opportunities. But I would I would suggest you not take up an online MBA. Rather take up a part time EMBA program. It would help you a lot more and we all know online MBA doesn’t teach us to the level of a regular MBA programs. Most importantly, when it comes to recruiting, companies prefer candidates with an EMBA degree rather than an online MBA degree. I hope I have made my point.

Regrads,
Rhea Kohli
Edumentor

[Edited by rhea1980 on Nov 20, 2014]

Hi, I have been an education consultant for more than 12 years and I have observed that changing professions in mid 30s is a current trend. There are tons of people who change their specialization after pursuing an MBA and you would definitely get good job opportunities. But I would I would suggest you not take up an online MBA. Rather take up a part time EMBA program. It would help you a lot more and we all know online MBA doesn’t teach us to the level of a regular MBA programs. Most importantly, when it comes to recruiting, companies prefer candidates with an EMBA degree rather than an online MBA degree. I hope I have made my point.

Regrads,
Rhea Kohli
Edumentor

Yes you have ma’am. Would you be able to suggest some good colleges which has EMBA programs in Dubai?

Yes you have ma’am. Would you be able to suggest some good colleges which has EMBA programs in Dubai?
rhea1980

According to me Hult and Bradford have one of the finest EMBA programs in Dubai.

Regrads,
Rhea Kohli
Edumentor

[Edited by rhea1980 on Nov 20, 2014]

According to me Hult and Bradford have one of the finest EMBA programs in Dubai.

Regrads,
Rhea Kohli
Edumentor

Thanks a lot!

Thanks a lot!
rhea1980

All the best for your new career in marketing!
Regrads,
Rhea Kohli
Edumentor

All the best for your new career in marketing!
Regrads,
Rhea Kohli
Edumentor
ralph

I don't think that it's unheard of for people to shift career paths with a part-time program. Both of the programs you are looking at are solid, and each offers a concentration in supply chain, which I would pursue if I were you and I was looking to get into the field.

However, if you were looking for a second shift, such as changing locations; or if you were looking for a wider network, this is where it gets tricky. If that were the case I'd look at an FT-ranked full-time MBA that's strong in operations or supply chain: MIT - Sloan, ASU - Carey, Purdue - Krannert, etc.

[quote]I keep reading that part time MBA programs can be valuable for people who don't want to make big career shifts, but I'm sort of in the other category: I've been working in sales but want to transition into a supply chain or operations role. I was considering doing my MBA on a part time basis at UNC Greensboro, which is close to me, but the UNC Charlotte program would also be possible if that one is considered to be better. Would one of these schools be more effective for me to make my career transition?[/quote]
I don't think that it's unheard of for people to shift career paths with a part-time program. Both of the programs you are looking at are solid, and each offers a concentration in supply chain, which I would pursue if I were you and I was looking to get into the field.

However, if you were looking for a second shift, such as changing locations; or if you were looking for a wider network, this is where it gets tricky. If that were the case I'd look at an FT-ranked full-time MBA that's strong in operations or supply chain: MIT - Sloan, ASU - Carey, Purdue - Krannert, etc.
ask10920

Sorry for the delay in responding, but I really appreciate your advice. I don't plan on shifting locations, I am perfectly happy where I am, so I will get serious about applying to these programs. Thanks again!!

Sorry for the delay in responding, but I really appreciate your advice. I don't plan on shifting locations, I am perfectly happy where I am, so I will get serious about applying to these programs. Thanks again!!

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

Charlotte, North Carolina 17 Followers 18 Discussions

Other Related Content

Finding the Time: Part-Time MBA Programs

Article Apr 30, 2010

Programs for working professionals can offer value and flexibility for busy schedules