Business Studies

MoRafik

I am a pharmaceutical sciences graduate, with 7 years experience in sales at multinational companies in three different countries in the Middle East. I am finishing a general part-time MBA at Strathclyde Business School Center in Bahrain. Because a lot of my colleagues are doing online degrees, the MBA has lost its value. I am planning to do a full-time business degree in Europe to be immersed in the studies and to gain in-depth experience in the Marketing field. I plan to work there afterwards. I have contacted some universities, but they recommend that I apply for a full-time MBA not a Master of Science, due to the age constraint. I have contacted Mannheim Business School today and they responded that I won't be considered for MBA because I have only my project left to finish the current one. Is there any advice regarding this choice?

I am a pharmaceutical sciences graduate, with 7 years experience in sales at multinational companies in three different countries in the Middle East. I am finishing a general part-time MBA at Strathclyde Business School Center in Bahrain. Because a lot of my colleagues are doing online degrees, the MBA has lost its value. I am planning to do a full-time business degree in Europe to be immersed in the studies and to gain in-depth experience in the Marketing field. I plan to work there afterwards. I have contacted some universities, but they recommend that I apply for a full-time MBA not a Master of Science, due to the age constraint. I have contacted Mannheim Business School today and they responded that I won't be considered for MBA because I have only my project left to finish the current one. Is there any advice regarding this choice?
Duncan

Mannheim Business School does not offer an MSc in marketing. of course no-one will admit you to an MSc in management if you have an MBA: there would be nothing new for you to learn, and you would be taking a seat from someone who could benefit more. Take an MSc in marketing. Cranfield, Birmingham and Lancaster could be especially good: they have programmes for people with an exisiting foundation in sales/marketing.

Mannheim Business School does not offer an MSc in marketing. of course no-one will admit you to an MSc in management if you have an MBA: there would be nothing new for you to learn, and you would be taking a seat from someone who could benefit more. Take an MSc in marketing. Cranfield, Birmingham and Lancaster could be especially good: they have programmes for people with an exisiting foundation in sales/marketing.
MoRafik

I know that Mannheim doesn't have it. They have the MMM and the admission office told me to contact them and check it.

Regarding the MSc in the UK, will I be able to work there after graduation? As far as I know, the job prospect in the UK is difficult especially for a Middle Eastern.

Kindly advise.

I know that Mannheim doesn't have it. They have the MMM and the admission office told me to contact them and check it.

Regarding the MSc in the UK, will I be able to work there after graduation? As far as I know, the job prospect in the UK is difficult especially for a Middle Eastern.

Kindly advise.
Duncan

If you speak German, then I recommend an MSc in marketing in Germany. That's a better market. But if you don't, then you have choices if you want to work in Europe: spend a year in Germany or some other country to learn the business language if you don't speak it to a professional standard, and then take an MSc in marketing that's taught in that language; or study in English in a country where the working language is English. Indeed it's harder to find work in England than in Germany if you speak both languages.

Read Do you need to speak the local language? www.find-mba.com/board/34713

If you speak German, then I recommend an MSc in marketing in Germany. That's a better market. But if you don't, then you have choices if you want to work in Europe: spend a year in Germany or some other country to learn the business language if you don't speak it to a professional standard, and then take an MSc in marketing that's taught in that language; or study in English in a country where the working language is English. Indeed it's harder to find work in England than in Germany if you speak both languages.

Read Do you need to speak the local language? www.find-mba.com/board/34713
Razors Edg...

To convert a student visa to a work visa in the UK, you need to have an employer ready to sponsor you. And since the study visa would expire at the end of your studies, this means you have to have a job lined up by graduation. It's not impossible but can be difficult. You'll need to network with the companies you want to work in, and an internship can help.

[quote]
Regarding the MSc in the UK, will I be able to work there after graduation? As far as I know, the job prospect in the UK is difficult especially for a Middle Eastern.[/quote]
To convert a student visa to a work visa in the UK, you need to have an employer ready to sponsor you. And since the study visa would expire at the end of your studies, this means you have to have a job lined up by graduation. It's not impossible but can be difficult. You'll need to network with the companies you want to work in, and an internship can help.
Mamit

Well I completed my MBA from Bradford and have been in UK for past 7 years; from my personal experience I would say that getting a job post course completion is difficult for freshers but for industry professionals they can certainly build contacts from the very beginning of their course and also internships & industrial projects help a lot. Moreover, the B schools have good industrial links which student with potential can certainly use to their benefit.

Well I completed my MBA from Bradford and have been in UK for past 7 years; from my personal experience I would say that getting a job post course completion is difficult for freshers but for industry professionals they can certainly build contacts from the very beginning of their course and also internships & industrial projects help a lot. Moreover, the B schools have good industrial links which student with potential can certainly use to their benefit.
Duncan

The visa doesn't *exactly* coincide with the end of your studies. Many visas will run through to graduation, which can be the following year.

The visa doesn't *exactly* coincide with the end of your studies. Many visas will run through to graduation, which can be the following year.

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

Glasgow, United Kingdom 53 Followers 475 Discussions
Mannheim, Germany 80 Followers 221 Discussions

Other Related Content

Video: The MBA Experience in Europe

Article Aug 05, 2013

What it's really like to do an MBA at a European business school

Hot Discussions