Bradford Vs Aston Vs Strathclyde Vs Birmingham

Hi
I am an electrical engineer(indian) with 4 years of work experience in family business including general management.I will come back to family business after MBA,so won't require career services.Which one of the above triple accredited MBA's is the best for learning practical management skills if we don't consider the ROI?

Hi
I am an electrical engineer(indian) with 4 years of work experience in family business including general management.I will come back to family business after MBA,so won't require career services.Which one of the above triple accredited MBA's is the best for learning practical management skills if we don't consider the ROI?
Duncan

Strathclyde is clearly better: it's one of the top ten UK MBAs according to the FT. However, a school that requires the GMAT will, other things being equal, give you a better cohort to learn from and much more rigourous training (See Why you should take the GMAT http://www.find-mba.com/board/38939 )

Strathclyde is clearly better: it's one of the top ten UK MBAs according to the FT. However, a school that requires the GMAT will, other things being equal, give you a better cohort to learn from and much more rigourous training (See Why you should take the GMAT http://www.find-mba.com/board/38939 )

Hi Duncan,
Thanks for the reply.I would like to study in England and have zeroed in on Bradford because of its triple accreditation,electives and value for money.What is your opinion about Bradford?

Hi Duncan,
Thanks for the reply.I would like to study in England and have zeroed in on Bradford because of its triple accreditation,electives and value for money.What is your opinion about Bradford?
Duncan

I think price is a very good guide to value, so "value for money" really doesn't exist. Triple accredited schools have the same core attributes, but they are augmented in very different ways: Bradford lacks the high quality and multi-national cohort of other schools, and the non-academic, practical elements are correspondingly more restricted than at more expensive schools. MBA candidates are a very efficient market, and there are few arbitrage opportunities at the MBA level.

I think price is a very good guide to value, so "value for money" really doesn't exist. Triple accredited schools have the same core attributes, but they are augmented in very different ways: Bradford lacks the high quality and multi-national cohort of other schools, and the non-academic, practical elements are correspondingly more restricted than at more expensive schools. MBA candidates are a very efficient market, and there are few arbitrage opportunities at the MBA level.

I understand your point.But almost all the reputed schools which demand good GMAT score require fees above 35000 GBP. As i will return to family business after studies,i am skeptical about spending that much money.If i needed a better job other than family business i would surely have gone for a GMAT demanding school with higher fees.So considering all these, which business school in England would you recommend for me for gaining practical management skills?Hope i am not bothering you with my questions.Once again thanks for the replies

I understand your point.But almost all the reputed schools which demand good GMAT score require fees above 35000 GBP. As i will return to family business after studies,i am skeptical about spending that much money.If i needed a better job other than family business i would surely have gone for a GMAT demanding school with higher fees.So considering all these, which business school in England would you recommend for me for gaining practical management skills?Hope i am not bothering you with my questions.Once again thanks for the replies
Duncan

Yes, but even schools that demand *any* GMAT point are worth considering. Of course there is a lot of space between Bradford and 35,000: Bath, Edinburgh, Lancaster, HHL, Trinity, UCD, Vlerick, and EM Lyon... for example, are comparable to Strathclyde but are well under that budget and will be much more diverse.

Why are you looking only at schools in England?

Yes, but even schools that demand *any* GMAT point are worth considering. Of course there is a lot of space between Bradford and 35,000: Bath, Edinburgh, Lancaster, HHL, Trinity, UCD, Vlerick, and EM Lyon... for example, are comparable to Strathclyde but are well under that budget and will be much more diverse.

Why are you looking only at schools in England?

We have recently registered a company in England,so i thought it would be better studying there,but it is not mandatory.So would you recommend the above mentioned schools above bradford?

We have recently registered a company in England,so i thought it would be better studying there,but it is not mandatory.So would you recommend the above mentioned schools above bradford?
Duncan

I think that would vary from student to student, but certainly most of those schools will be better for most students in the position your describe. Because HHL and Edinburgh would allow you something longer than 12 months, they would give you a much richer experience.

I think that would vary from student to student, but certainly most of those schools will be better for most students in the position your describe. Because HHL and Edinburgh would allow you something longer than 12 months, they would give you a much richer experience.

Thanks.Strathyclyde or Edinburgh would be better for me?

Thanks.Strathyclyde or Edinburgh would be better for me?
Duncan

I don't know enough about you personally. Edinburgh's 16-month option would give you three semesters for the price of two, so if a semester abroad would be useful (I found my MBA exchange semester invaluable) then that might swing it for you. Certainly Edinburgh would give you a more diverse cohort and, I believe, a better-quality cohort in GMAT terms: http://www.topmba.com/mba-rankings/region/europe/2015#sorting=rank+custom=478517+order=desc+search=

[Edited by Duncan on Jan 05, 2015]

I don't know enough about you personally. Edinburgh's 16-month option would give you three semesters for the price of two, so if a semester abroad would be useful (I found my MBA exchange semester invaluable) then that might swing it for you. Certainly Edinburgh would give you a more diverse cohort and, I believe, a better-quality cohort in GMAT terms: http://www.topmba.com/mba-rankings/region/europe/2015#sorting=rank+custom=478517+order=desc+search=

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

Glasgow, United Kingdom 53 Followers 475 Discussions
Birmingham, United Kingdom 35 Followers 283 Discussions
Birmingham, United Kingdom 35 Followers 338 Discussions
Bradford, United Kingdom 45 Followers 317 Discussions

Other Related Content

Beyond London: MBA Programs in England

Article Jun 08, 2012

How MBA programs outside the capital can offer global, practical experience