Best MBAs for international students' placement

Duncan

(I have updated this post with the 2024 FT ranking data)

Many MBA students are looking for the opportunity to work in other countries. The FT rankings are handy because they show the schools with the best international mobility, the highest employment rates and the most international students. In this post, which I update annually, I pick the 40 FT-ranked schools with the highest international mobility, remove the ten with the fewest international students (since they tend to reflect domestic students moving abroad), and then remove the ten remaining with the lowest percentage employed within three months ("placement", in some earlier rankings).

The top schools are below, sorted by their FT ranking in 2024, from highest to lowest. Said and NUS drew with 87% employed, so there are 21 on the list. 15 of these 21 schools were in the top 20 last year, marked with a Y.

Rank in 2024 School Name 2023 top 20?
5 IESE Business School Y
8 London Business School Y
12 HEC Paris Y
17 Esade Business School Y
20 IE Business School Y
25 ESCP Business School Y
26 University of Oxford: Saïd
27 National University of Singapore Business School
29 University of Cambridge: Judge Y
32 Nanyang Business School, NTU Singapore Y
39 Imperial College Business School
54 Essec Business School
57 EMLyon Business School Y
57 Edhec Business School Y
60 Warwick Business School Y
73 Mannheim Business School Y
77 Audencia Y
86 Hult International Business School
94 Eada Business School Barcelona Y
96 Grenoble Ecole de Management
98 Tias Business School, Tilburg University Y
Ten of those are in the bottom half of the FT top 100, compared to nine in 2020 and in 2019, showing that good outcomes remain possible even for students without stellar GMAT scores if they have good applications.

PS The same approach is used to compare masters in management degrees at https://find-mba.com/board/general-forum/best-msc-mim-degrees-for-international-students-placement-52915

[Edited by Duncan on Feb 13, 2024]

(I have updated this post with the 2024 FT ranking data)<br><br>
Many MBA students are looking for the opportunity to work in other countries. The FT rankings are handy because they show the schools with the best international mobility, the highest employment rates and the most international students. In this post, which I update annually, I pick the 40 FT-ranked schools with the highest international mobility, remove the ten with the fewest international students (since they tend to reflect domestic students moving abroad), and then remove the ten remaining with the lowest percentage employed within three months ("placement", in some earlier rankings). <br><br>The top schools are below, sorted by their FT ranking in 2024, from highest to lowest. Said and NUS drew with 87% employed, so there are 21 on the list. 15 of these 21 schools were in the top 20 last year, marked with a Y.<br><br>
<div>Rank in 2024 School Name 2023 top 20?
</div><div>5 IESE Business School Y
</div><div>8 London Business School Y
</div><div>12 HEC Paris Y
</div><div>17 Esade Business School Y
</div><div>20 IE Business School Y
</div><div>25 ESCP Business School Y
</div><div>26 University of Oxford: Saïd
</div><div>27 National University of Singapore Business School
</div><div>29 University of Cambridge: Judge Y
</div><div>32 Nanyang Business School, NTU Singapore Y
</div><div>39 Imperial College Business School
</div><div>54 Essec Business School
</div><div>57 EMLyon Business School Y
</div><div>57 Edhec Business School Y
</div><div>60 Warwick Business School Y
</div><div>73 Mannheim Business School Y
</div><div>77 Audencia Y
</div><div>86 Hult International Business School
</div><div>94 Eada Business School Barcelona Y
</div><div>96 Grenoble Ecole de Management
</div><div>98 Tias Business School, Tilburg University Y</div><div>
Ten of those are in the bottom half of the FT top 100, compared to nine in 2020 and in 2019, showing that good outcomes remain possible even for students without stellar GMAT scores if they have good applications. <br><br>
PS The same approach is used to compare masters in management degrees at https://find-mba.com/board/general-forum/best-msc-mim-degrees-for-international-students-placement-52915</div>
Razors Edg...

Nice list, Duncan. The appearance of Bath and Durham in this list is quite surprising, given their relatively low status in the ranking, the tight UK visa laws, and their locations. They seem like good values for international students who want transition to the UK.

Nice list, Duncan. The appearance of Bath and Durham in this list is quite surprising, given their relatively low status in the ranking, the tight UK visa laws, and their locations. They seem like good values for international students who want transition to the UK.
rawjetraw

Great list Duncan. I am not sure how the lower rung UK schools fair in placing International students. Considering strict post-degree visa laws, which don't allow International students to stay back and hunt for work. Could you shed some light on the recent stats, if you aware of them!? Your advice would really help considering UK is expensive (esp for a middle class Indians) any info on the Post study job scene would help. Thanks!

Great list Duncan. I am not sure how the lower rung UK schools fair in placing International students. Considering strict post-degree visa laws, which don't allow International students to stay back and hunt for work. Could you shed some light on the recent stats, if you aware of them!? Your advice would really help considering UK is expensive (esp for a middle class Indians) any info on the Post study job scene would help. Thanks!
Duncan

These are from the most recent FT rankings. I don't think more recent data are available. Obviously because of the way I have segmented the data, these are the schools that are best able to place international students. You can see the data yourself on the FT ranking.

The UK is not expensive: are there cheaper MBAs on this top 100 list?

These are from the most recent FT rankings. I don't think more recent data are available. Obviously because of the way I have segmented the data, these are the schools that are best able to place international students. You can see the data yourself on the FT ranking.

The UK is not expensive: are there cheaper MBAs on this top 100 list?
rawjetraw

Well.. obviously the tuition is definitely expensive for any these FT100 schools. (i am assuming that tuition bit to be true here.) But I meant expensive more the in terms of cost of living, post-study job availability or possibility, ROI etc.. I am sure if one does manage to get a job there itself then it can make life slightly easier in few years postMBA but if not then......

But yeah I get it there is no sure shot guarantee of jobs anywhere or with any degree... i get that... but allowing one to stay back and hunt for work does make it a but easier to really concentrate on learning and not running scared thinking what will happen if I were to not get any jobs or something like... a little mental assurance .. peace.. whatever you want to call it .. makes life a little smoother... international students especially from India (like me) do think like that a lot ..

Well.. obviously the tuition is definitely expensive for any these FT100 schools. (i am assuming that tuition bit to be true here.) But I meant expensive more the in terms of cost of living, post-study job availability or possibility, ROI etc.. I am sure if one does manage to get a job there itself then it can make life slightly easier in few years postMBA but if not then......

But yeah I get it there is no sure shot guarantee of jobs anywhere or with any degree... i get that... but allowing one to stay back and hunt for work does make it a but easier to really concentrate on learning and not running scared thinking what will happen if I were to not get any jobs or something like... a little mental assurance .. peace.. whatever you want to call it .. makes life a little smoother... international students especially from India (like me) do think like that a lot ..
Duncan

Let us know if you have a question.

Let us know if you have a question.
Zack

Hello,
I am interested in the MBA at Glasgow University, but the reviews about the University are less than positive. Students seem to be unsatisfied with the quality of teaching and employment prospects.

How would you assess this MBA, student satisfaction, and MBA reputation among employers?

I am currently admitted into Imperial College London's Public Health programme, but I want to work in a managerial capacity which (unlike the Master of Health Administration common in the US) the MPH does not guarantee. I'm, therefore, looking into management related degrees that augment my work experience in international development.

Also, any views/advice on St. Andrews MLitt in International Business, and Management?

Many thanks.

Hello,
I am interested in the MBA at Glasgow University, but the reviews about the University are less than positive. Students seem to be unsatisfied with the quality of teaching and employment prospects.

How would you assess this MBA, student satisfaction, and MBA reputation among employers?

I am currently admitted into Imperial College London's Public Health programme, but I want to work in a managerial capacity which (unlike the Master of Health Administration common in the US) the MPH does not guarantee. I'm, therefore, looking into management related degrees that augment my work experience in international development.

Also, any views/advice on St. Andrews MLitt in International Business, and Management?

Many thanks.
Duncan

This is an AACSB- and AMBA-accredited MBA. Like the St Andrews business school, Glasgow is a research-centred business school with no notable reputation with employers as a provider of post-experience or mid-career talent. I imagine that teaching will be more academic than experiential. These schools have no dedicated careers staff, has far as I know, and make no claims about placement: they have that in common with the MPH at Imperial.

This is an AACSB- and AMBA-accredited MBA. Like the St Andrews business school, Glasgow is a research-centred business school with no notable reputation with employers as a provider of post-experience or mid-career talent. I imagine that teaching will be more academic than experiential. These schools have no dedicated careers staff, has far as I know, and make no claims about placement: they have that in common with the MPH at Imperial.
Zack

Thanks, but are you saying that the MPH at Imperial is also research-based and thus not vocational or practice-based?

Which experiential/vocational courses would you suggest for a person who is a generalist with several years of experience in international development and wants to assume a mid-senior level management position at an organisation within the UK?

I am willing to spend about 10 to 14 K on a degree course to adjust myself to the job market. I have also been drawn to some MIM courses. I know they are for graduates with no experience, but dont you think if combined with professional experience, they will make me a more suitable applicant for management-based job?

Thanks.

Thanks, but are you saying that the MPH at Imperial is also research-based and thus not vocational or practice-based?

Which experiential/vocational courses would you suggest for a person who is a generalist with several years of experience in international development and wants to assume a mid-senior level management position at an organisation within the UK?

I am willing to spend about 10 to 14 K on a degree course to adjust myself to the job market. I have also been drawn to some MIM courses. I know they are for graduates with no experience, but dont you think if combined with professional experience, they will make me a more suitable applicant for management-based job?

Thanks.
Duncan

Yes, with a limited budget a MiM or MSC might be better.

Look at http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolrankings/masters-in-management-2013 and http://www.best-masters.com/ranking-master-health-management.html

Certainly, I would suggest studying in a business school with careers services will produce stronger than average placement.

Yes, with a limited budget a MiM or MSC might be better.

Look at http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolrankings/masters-in-management-2013 and http://www.best-masters.com/ranking-master-health-management.html

Certainly, I would suggest studying in a business school with careers services will produce stronger than average placement.
Zack

Thank you very much, Duncan.

Thank you very much, Duncan.
Zack

Any opinions about the MSc in Business and Management at Aston Business School?

I know they are two different lines of work, but purely in terms of employment and salary prospects, do you think this MSc beats the Imperial MPH not just immediately after graduation but also five years after graduation?

Cheers

Any opinions about the MSc in Business and Management at Aston Business School?

I know they are two different lines of work, but purely in terms of employment and salary prospects, do you think this MSc beats the Imperial MPH not just immediately after graduation but also five years after graduation?

Cheers
Duncan

Yes, I think it would.

Yes, I think it would.
nishroma

Hi

I am having 6+ years of IT experience. i am planning to pursue my MBA from Poland (Warsaw Univ of Technology, UOW, Kozminski University) i know these 3 names only. Can someone please suggest me, which is better and good University to study MBA in Poland? As i am also looking for immediate job prospect in Poland, after completing my studies , as i need to pay back my education loan.

Best Regards
Nishant

Hi

I am having 6+ years of IT experience. i am planning to pursue my MBA from Poland (Warsaw Univ of Technology, UOW, Kozminski University) i know these 3 names only. Can someone please suggest me, which is better and good University to study MBA in Poland? As i am also looking for immediate job prospect in Poland, after completing my studies , as i need to pay back my education loan.

Best Regards
Nishant
Duncan

How good is your Polish? A language course may be better investment than an MBA.

How good is your Polish? A language course may be better investment than an MBA.
nishroma

I have no knowledge of Polish. But MBA course will be in English language. I am mainly targeting Europe (Germany:bcoz job prospects are more and it have very strong Economy, Poland, bcoz cost of living is very low). I am confused between both. But my aim is to pursue MBA from Europe, as i want to work and settled down or stay long time in Europe Currently i am in India, working in IT.
Thanks

[Edited by nishroma on Apr 09, 2015]

I have no knowledge of Polish. But MBA course will be in English language. I am mainly targeting Europe (Germany:bcoz job prospects are more and it have very strong Economy, Poland, bcoz cost of living is very low). I am confused between both. But my aim is to pursue MBA from Europe, as i want to work and settled down or stay long time in Europe Currently i am in India, working in IT.
Thanks
Duncan

Of course the course is taught in English, but the business language of Poland is Polish. if you want to work in Europe, you'll need to speak the business language to get MBA-level work, unless you are the global headquarters of some huge brand. See Do you need to speak the local language? www.find-mba.com/board/34713

Of course the course is taught in English, but the business language of Poland is Polish. if you want to work in Europe, you'll need to speak the business language to get MBA-level work, unless you are the global headquarters of some huge brand. See Do you need to speak the local language? www.find-mba.com/board/34713
nishroma

Thanks for your response. Yes i am flexible to learn the business language of Europe. I will join the language classes for it. But please suggest me, which country is better, in terms of easy job , because i have to repay my bank loans, after my MBA degree finished?

Thanks

Thanks for your response. Yes i am flexible to learn the business language of Europe. I will join the language classes for it. But please suggest me, which country is better, in terms of easy job , because i have to repay my bank loans, after my MBA degree finished?

Thanks
Duncan

learning a language is a substantial investment of time. It would be most effecyive to devote a year full-time to that before the MBA.

The ease of finding work has to be put into the context of language and school. Take a look at the post at the top of this thread one more time. Top schools in Britain, France, Spain, Germany and Switzerland all have excellent placement, but those people getting placed will generally speak the business language of the country they are going to and are coming from well-ranked schools.

Right now most European economies are improving, and growth is especially high in the UK and Spain (http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/383e2724-ad14-11e4-a5c1-00144feab7de.html#axzz3WoUKMXMO). However, outcomes from poor schools in the UK or Spain will not be similar, and Europe has a profoundly national labour market because of language barriers.

PS Ultimately you need to decide what sort of investment you are prepared to make. The RoI on an intensive language course will be very high, but perhaps it is more effective to put that money and the opportunity cost of learning a new language instead into the UK market, despite the higher fees. Perhaps Birmingham, Bath or Strathclyde might be a better location than Poland if you speak English but not Polish?

[Edited by Duncan on Apr 09, 2015]

learning a language is a substantial investment of time. It would be most effecyive to devote a year full-time to that before the MBA.

The ease of finding work has to be put into the context of language and school. Take a look at the post at the top of this thread one more time. Top schools in Britain, France, Spain, Germany and Switzerland all have excellent placement, but those people getting placed will generally speak the business language of the country they are going to and are coming from well-ranked schools.

Right now most European economies are improving, and growth is especially high in the UK and Spain (http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/383e2724-ad14-11e4-a5c1-00144feab7de.html#axzz3WoUKMXMO). However, outcomes from poor schools in the UK or Spain will not be similar, and Europe has a profoundly national labour market because of language barriers.

PS Ultimately you need to decide what sort of investment you are prepared to make. The RoI on an intensive language course will be very high, but perhaps it is more effective to put that money and the opportunity cost of learning a new language instead into the UK market, despite the higher fees. Perhaps Birmingham, Bath or Strathclyde might be a better location than Poland if you speak English but not Polish?
nishroma

Thanks Duncan

But UK and US are not in my choice list. My target is Europe. So for Europe, can you please suggest me.

Thanks

Thanks Duncan

But UK and US are not in my choice list. My target is Europe. So for Europe, can you please suggest me.

Thanks

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

Singapore 82 Followers 168 Discussions
Cambridge, Massachusetts 34 Followers 179 Discussions
St. Gallen, Switzerland 44 Followers 142 Discussions
Rotterdam, Netherlands 80 Followers 223 Discussions
Fontainebleau, France 71 Followers 309 Discussions
Carlton, Australia 54 Followers 96 Discussions
Full Profile
Berlin, Germany 159 Followers 175 Discussions
Cambridge, United Kingdom 53 Followers 289 Discussions
Barcelona, Spain 49 Followers 245 Discussions
London, United Kingdom 168 Followers 475 Discussions
Coventry, United Kingdom 100 Followers 585 Discussions
Bedford, United Kingdom 44 Followers 413 Discussions
Full Profile
Jouy-en-Josas, France 100 Followers 387 Discussions
Madrid, Spain 114 Followers 367 Discussions
Barcelona, Spain 29 Followers 169 Discussions
Oxford, United Kingdom 70 Followers 277 Discussions
Lausanne, Switzerland 46 Followers 155 Discussions
London, United Kingdom 107 Followers 348 Discussions
Singapore 35 Followers 54 Discussions
Manchester, United Kingdom 65 Followers 514 Discussions
Düsseldorf, Germany 80 Followers 206 Discussions
Full Profile
Ecully, France 55 Followers 141 Discussions
Edinburgh, United Kingdom 35 Followers 267 Discussions
Full Profile
Cergy-Pontoise, France 41 Followers 185 Discussions

Other Related Content

Oct 12, 2023

Calling All German MBA Hopefuls: Join the e-fellows MBA Days in Frankfurt and Hamburg

News Oct 12, 2023

MBA Careers: 2014 and Beyond

Article Nov 27, 2013

It's been five years since the financial crash – what's changed?