Best MBA to break into fashion luxury industry??

Mary26

Hi everyone. I'm 26, degree at European Business School and after 4 years working as key account manager in the industry of IT, I ve decided to change my career path and get an MBA for the next year, starting October 2015.

So please, any tip, any advise and any opinion about the best way to break into the industry through and MBA will be very welcome and appreciated.

The aim is clear: learn about fashion luxury management and get a position in one of the luxury fashion empires (Richemont, LVMH, Kering…).

My preferences for the locations are New York and London, and, for the moment, these are the most remarkable Ive found:

1) Nyu Stern. Luxury and Retail or Luxury Marketing.
2) Marangoni London. Fashion and luxury brand management.
3) London College Contemporary Arts. Luxury goods and fashion industry.
4) …??

Anyone is studying any of them? Are the ok for my career plan? which is the best and why?

Before starting MBA, I am interested in the 10-week Vogue Fashion Certificate in London, is it recommendable? or is it a waste of money?

THANK YOU!

Hi everyone. I'm 26, degree at European Business School and after 4 years working as key account manager in the industry of IT, I ve decided to change my career path and get an MBA for the next year, starting October 2015.

So please, any tip, any advise and any opinion about the best way to break into the industry through and MBA will be very welcome and appreciated.

The aim is clear: learn about fashion luxury management and get a position in one of the luxury fashion empires (Richemont, LVMH, Kering…).

My preferences for the locations are New York and London, and, for the moment, these are the most remarkable Ive found:

1) Nyu Stern. Luxury and Retail or Luxury Marketing.
2) Marangoni London. Fashion and luxury brand management.
3) London College Contemporary Arts. Luxury goods and fashion industry.
4) …??

Anyone is studying any of them? Are the ok for my career plan? which is the best and why?

Before starting MBA, I am interested in the 10-week Vogue Fashion Certificate in London, is it recommendable? or is it a waste of money?

THANK YOU!
Duncan

You can't take the LCCA course seriously. Read; Luxury & Luxury Brand Management http://www.find-mba.com/board/24603

In Europe, HEC, Bocconi and ESSEC are the best schools to look at, even if you want to work in London.

You can't take the LCCA course seriously. Read; Luxury & Luxury Brand Management http://www.find-mba.com/board/24603

In Europe, HEC, Bocconi and ESSEC are the best schools to look at, even if you want to work in London.
Mary26

Thank you for your answer Duncan!
Ive been reading all the post that u shared.

Why LCCA has so Bad reputation? Whats exactly wrong?

Beside France, which one is the best in London? Marangoni or MBA global specialized fashion at London school business and finance?

Thank you for your answer Duncan!
Ive been reading all the post that u shared.

Why LCCA has so Bad reputation? Whats exactly wrong?

Beside France, which one is the best in London? Marangoni or MBA global specialized fashion at London school business and finance?
Duncan

LCCA is a brand new school with no reputation of than that of LBSF, its parent. Neither of these are good options. LBSF's lawyers are pretty agreesive on this site, but just put their name into a British newspaper's website. Here is an example: http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/news/bis-tight-lipped-over-private-refusals/2016778.article

Try How to use LinkedIn to find the best school www.find-mba.com/board/33571

LCCA is a brand new school with no reputation of than that of LBSF, its parent. Neither of these are good options. LBSF's lawyers are pretty agreesive on this site, but just put their name into a British newspaper's website. Here is an example: http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/news/bis-tight-lipped-over-private-refusals/2016778.article

Try How to use LinkedIn to find the best school www.find-mba.com/board/33571
Duncan

To be clear: I don't think an MBA is a way to break into the fashion industry. The only serious route in London is the University of the Arts, either through LCF or Central St Martin's.

To be clear: I don't think an MBA is a way to break into the fashion industry. The only serious route in London is the University of the Arts, either through LCF or Central St Martin's.
badux

LBS.

It's a top-ranked school that last year launched a program in luxury management that compliments the MBA:

http://www.london.edu/newsandevents/news/2013/10/London_Business_School_and_Walpole_British_Luxury_launch_programme_in_%E2%80%98Luxury_Management%E2%80%99_1709.html

[quote]Beside France, which one is the best in London? Marangoni or MBA global specialized fashion at London school business and finance?[/quote]
LBS.

It's a top-ranked school that last year launched a program in luxury management that compliments the MBA:

http://www.london.edu/newsandevents/news/2013/10/London_Business_School_and_Walpole_British_Luxury_launch_programme_in_%E2%80%98Luxury_Management%E2%80%99_1709.html
de-lux44

If my goal was to also to work in the luxury industry in London, would HEC Paris, ESSEC, or NYU Stern be a better choice?

If my goal was to also to work in the luxury industry in London, would HEC Paris, ESSEC, or NYU Stern be a better choice?
Duncan

I hate to repeat myself but Try How to use LinkedIn to find the best school www.find-mba.com/board/33571

[Edited by Duncan on Nov 24, 2014]

I hate to repeat myself but Try How to use LinkedIn to find the best school www.find-mba.com/board/33571
de-lux44

Ok, yes, thanks. It turns out there are very few people on LinkedIn who are both in London and work in the luxury industry. Here is what I have found:

ESSEC Business School (24)
London business School (22)
INSEAD (14)
Harvard Business School (8)
University of Cambridge (7)

Maybe I am just skeptical but my feeling is that this is too small of a data set to really identify the best schools for this particular career path and location. Although ESSEC looks promising.

Ok, yes, thanks. It turns out there are very few people on LinkedIn who are both in London and work in the luxury industry. Here is what I have found:

ESSEC Business School (24)
London business School (22)
INSEAD (14)
Harvard Business School (8)
University of Cambridge (7)

Maybe I am just skeptical but my feeling is that this is too small of a data set to really identify the best schools for this particular career path and location. Although ESSEC looks promising.
Duncan

I don;t think it's too small. I think it shows the reality that there are very few MBAs in industries that pay low salaries to entry-level managers. Try replacing MBA with MSc in your search and you'll see the difference.

I don;t think it's too small. I think it shows the reality that there are very few MBAs in industries that pay low salaries to entry-level managers. Try replacing MBA with MSc in your search and you'll see the difference.
de-lux44

That changes it up a bit... Looks like LSE is on top, and then Grenoble, Cass, London College of Fashion, and Imperial.

That changes it up a bit... Looks like LSE is on top, and then Grenoble, Cass, London College of Fashion, and Imperial.
ralph

I don't think LSE offers an MSc with a focus in luxury.

You might actually have better luck doing a ranked MIM program, weather it has a luxury focus or not, or a ranked MBA program. In those cases, at least you'd have some flexibility in case you don't have success in the luxury industry.

I don't think LSE offers an MSc with a focus in luxury.

You might actually have better luck doing a ranked MIM program, weather it has a luxury focus or not, or a ranked MBA program. In those cases, at least you'd have some flexibility in case you don't have success in the luxury industry.
de-lux44

Thanks, Ralph. I'm considering going with the second route, and I'll most likely apply to the MBA programs ESSEC and LBS. I know that LBS is a reach school for me, but I'm going to try anyway.

Thanks, Ralph. I'm considering going with the second route, and I'll most likely apply to the MBA programs ESSEC and LBS. I know that LBS is a reach school for me, but I'm going to try anyway.

[quote][/quote]

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

New York City, New York 177 Followers 249 Discussions
Milan, Italy 70 Followers 211 Discussions
Full Profile
Jouy-en-Josas, France 100 Followers 387 Discussions
Full Profile
Cergy-Pontoise, France 41 Followers 185 Discussions

Other Related Content

Sep 11, 2023

The GMAC MBA Tour Lands in Africa Sept. 13-19

News Sep 11, 2023

Indulge Yourself: MBA Programs in Luxury Management

Article Sep 27, 2012

How a specialized program in luxury can help you tap into a growing market

Top Business Schools for Luxury Brand Management

Top List

From Armani to Versace and Ralph Lauren, luxury brands accounted for over $300 billion in 2021 alone, by some estimates. And with surging demand from the emerging middle classes in countries like India and China, the industry is poised for more growth.

An MBA in Luxury Brand Management can lead to a variety of jobs in this sector, including roles like marketing managers, business development consultants, and brand managers. Some schools offer specialized MBA programs in Luxury, as well as related fields like Fashion or Retail.

Many students interested in breaking into the luxury sector gravitate to hubs like Paris or Milan, where many of the top firms are based; others go to New York City or London to be in the heart of the action. Being near to luxury firms can help with networking opportunities; some students also opt to pursue MBA internships in luxury firms, for hands-on experience in the sector.

See a list of the Top 10 MBAs for Luxury below.

Related MBA Specializations