11 months Program vs Full Time 2 yr Program

J.C.A.P.

I'm looking at both CU Denver and CU Boulder for the full time MBA program. Boulder has nice ranking and an interesting program, however, UCD has an 11-months program which looks very attractive. Are there any disadvantages to an 11-months program vs 2 yr programs in general? Would I miss out on any important experiences by choosing the 11-months program? Will UCD's curriculum be able to cover everything normally covered in a 2 yr program?

I'm looking at both CU Denver and CU Boulder for the full time MBA program. Boulder has nice ranking and an interesting program, however, UCD has an 11-months program which looks very attractive. Are there any disadvantages to an 11-months program vs 2 yr programs in general? Would I miss out on any important experiences by choosing the 11-months program? Will UCD's curriculum be able to cover everything normally covered in a 2 yr program?
Razors Edg...

Very generally speaking:

One-year or shorter MBA programs are usually designed for people who don't want to substantially change career function or industry. So if you're working in a logistics role and you want to keep working in logistics, just move up the food chain so to speak, then a one-year program is fine.

However, if you want to make a substantial shift, like say from logistics to finance for instance, or from one industry to another, then you're going to want more time to take appropriate electives, etc. An internship in the field you're going into can be extremely useful as well, and often, shorter programs just don't have the flexibility for a robust internship experience.

Very generally speaking:

One-year or shorter MBA programs are usually designed for people who don't want to substantially change career function or industry. So if you're working in a logistics role and you want to keep working in logistics, just move up the food chain so to speak, then a one-year program is fine.

However, if you want to make a substantial shift, like say from logistics to finance for instance, or from one industry to another, then you're going to want more time to take appropriate electives, etc. An internship in the field you're going into can be extremely useful as well, and often, shorter programs just don't have the flexibility for a robust internship experience.
badux

Looking at the career data on Businessweek, Boulder's average salaries are about 25% higher than Denver's. That's quite substantial, and maybe something worth taking into consideration.

Looking at the career data on Businessweek, Boulder's average salaries are about 25% higher than Denver's. That's quite substantial, and maybe something worth taking into consideration.

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

Boulder, Colorado 15 Followers 16 Discussions
Denver, Colorado 15 Followers 13 Discussions

Other Related Content

One-Year or Two-Year MBA Program?

Article Apr 07, 2011

Balancing the time taken out of your career with getting the most out of a once-in-a-lifetime educational experience

Hot Discussions