The University of Manchester vs. King's College London

klara23

Hi,

I have received offers for MSc in Human Resource Management at both The University of Manchester and King's College London and as a foreigner I would like to ask you for your help/opinions/advice:

Which university would you go for and why?

Thanks in advance!!

Hi,

I have received offers for MSc in Human Resource Management at both The University of Manchester and King's College London and as a foreigner I would like to ask you for your help/opinions/advice:

Which university would you go for and why?

Thanks in advance!!
Duncan

Manchester Business School is one of the world's top business schools, KCL is not. That's a strong point for me. Does CIPD membership matter to you?

Manchester Business School is one of the world's top business schools, KCL is not. That's a strong point for me. Does CIPD membership matter to you?
klara23

Thanks, Duncan, that is definitely a good point. Yes, it does, but from what I have seen at the programme websites both of the schools offer them :)

Thanks, Duncan, that is definitely a good point. Yes, it does, but from what I have seen at the programme websites both of the schools offer them :)
Duncan

I think that at King's it's an extra elements isn't it? I think you need to pay more and not all the students are on the CIPD track [or, at least, that is how it was when I was a masters student in that department several years ago].

Careers support and alumni networking will be better at MBS, which has its own careers teams. There are specific staff there to support only the MSc students of the business school, which is certainly not the case at KCL.

I think that at King's it's an extra elements isn't it? I think you need to pay more and not all the students are on the CIPD track [or, at least, that is how it was when I was a masters student in that department several years ago].

Careers support and alumni networking will be better at MBS, which has its own careers teams. There are specific staff there to support only the MSc students of the business school, which is certainly not the case at KCL.
klara23

Well, King's says that it is an optional element that requires further studies (in terms of attending workshops, etc.).

In Manchester, it seems to me that it is included already as it says "This Masters is approved to the new equivalent advanced level postgraduate standard. You will join CIPD as a student member and on completion of the Masters and CIPD components you will have achieved the underpinning knowledge towards a level of professional membership. Once you have applied your knowledge in the workplace you will be in a position to apply to CIPD for a membership upgrade.
On passing all the modules of the Masters degree (including the dissertation) and the CIPD-recognised stream and activities of the course, you will automatically achieve Associate Membership. Once you have work experience you can apply for Chartered membership.
Further details including costs are available from the postgraduate administration team and you can visit the CIPD website ."

But I am not 100% sure how it works, I guess I will send an email to the postrgraduate administration team.

Oh, and the alumni network and career support is definitely something to consider... from what you are saying, Manchester seems to be great for this field :)

Well, King's says that it is an optional element that requires further studies (in terms of attending workshops, etc.).

In Manchester, it seems to me that it is included already as it says "This Masters is approved to the new equivalent advanced level postgraduate standard. You will join CIPD as a student member and on completion of the Masters and CIPD components you will have achieved the underpinning knowledge towards a level of professional membership. Once you have applied your knowledge in the workplace you will be in a position to apply to CIPD for a membership upgrade.
On passing all the modules of the Masters degree (including the dissertation) and the CIPD-recognised stream and activities of the course, you will automatically achieve Associate Membership. Once you have work experience you can apply for Chartered membership.
Further details including costs are available from the postgraduate administration team and you can visit the CIPD website ."

But I am not 100% sure how it works, I guess I will send an email to the postrgraduate administration team.

Oh, and the alumni network and career support is definitely something to consider... from what you are saying, Manchester seems to be great for this field :)

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

Manchester, United Kingdom 65 Followers 515 Discussions
London, United Kingdom 4 Followers 29 Discussions

Other Related Content

Sep 11, 2023

The GMAC MBA Tour Lands in Africa Sept. 13-19

News Sep 11, 2023

Hot Discussions