rotation programs for MBA grads

lssaunde

I am curious to know the opinions people have of the value of the rotational leadership development programs for MBAs. I am maybe especially interested in finance positions, since I have enjoyed my MBA finance courses more than marketing (I am in the IAE-Aix full-time MBA); I have not really had the operations / supply chain part of the curriculum yet, but I am just starting to look around for job opportunities out there.

I have read on some boards elsewhere the opinion that they might make sense for people who hope to have a long career with the same company, but otherwise they give the company a reason to pay you less while you end up not necessarily specializing and potentially actually penalizing your career advancement. I know it must depend on the individual companies, so I doubt there is one single answer.

I raise the question because they seem like a reasonable possibility for me to try and pursue since I don't have a normal MBA background / profile (10 years as a protestant pastor), so getting the mentoring that comes with a rotational / development program could be really beneficial to me, plus a way perhaps just to get my foot in where there would be no in way otherwise. On the other hand, in my late 30s, I have the feeling I am not the target age demographic for these programs, so even getting into one might be much harder.

I welcome any insight into the value (or lack of value) in these programs, especially for someone with a non-technical background and no real private industry experience either.

I am curious to know the opinions people have of the value of the rotational leadership development programs for MBAs. I am maybe especially interested in finance positions, since I have enjoyed my MBA finance courses more than marketing (I am in the IAE-Aix full-time MBA); I have not really had the operations / supply chain part of the curriculum yet, but I am just starting to look around for job opportunities out there.

I have read on some boards elsewhere the opinion that they might make sense for people who hope to have a long career with the same company, but otherwise they give the company a reason to pay you less while you end up not necessarily specializing and potentially actually penalizing your career advancement. I know it must depend on the individual companies, so I doubt there is one single answer.

I raise the question because they seem like a reasonable possibility for me to try and pursue since I don't have a normal MBA background / profile (10 years as a protestant pastor), so getting the mentoring that comes with a rotational / development program could be really beneficial to me, plus a way perhaps just to get my foot in where there would be no in way otherwise. On the other hand, in my late 30s, I have the feeling I am not the target age demographic for these programs, so even getting into one might be much harder.

I welcome any insight into the value (or lack of value) in these programs, especially for someone with a non-technical background and no real private industry experience either.
Duncan

I agree. These are generally among the most valuable and desirable outcomes for MBA graduates.

I agree. These are generally among the most valuable and desirable outcomes for MBA graduates.

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

Aix-en-Provence, France 5 Followers 23 Discussions