Need Help

Hi All,

I need your input on the dilemma I am facing. Its basically the balance between the long term advantage and short term advantage.

I was looking at ESMT and found it quite interesting. I have an admit to IE and ESADE and I am somewhat confident that I would get in if all goes fine with my application to ESMT.

IE and ESADE are one of the top schools but the prospects of finding a job in Europe are bleak compared to an MBA from ESMT (Finding a good job in Europe is my top priority as I want to spend a few years in this region). I have two concerns.

1) Some information that ESMT provides, I doubt, is misleading.
2) No one knows this school.

What are your views on this? Should I even be looking at ESMT if I have admit to good schools?

Hi All,

I need your input on the dilemma I am facing. Its basically the balance between the long term advantage and short term advantage.

I was looking at ESMT and found it quite interesting. I have an admit to IE and ESADE and I am somewhat confident that I would get in if all goes fine with my application to ESMT.

IE and ESADE are one of the top schools but the prospects of finding a job in Europe are bleak compared to an MBA from ESMT (Finding a good job in Europe is my top priority as I want to spend a few years in this region). I have two concerns.

1) Some information that ESMT provides, I doubt, is misleading.

What are your views on this? Should I even be looking at ESMT if I have admit to good schools?
Duncan

I don't think any of the information from ESMT will be untrue. What did you think was misleading?

If you want to work in Germany, I think it's an excellent option. I would expect it to rise very quickly in rankings when the programme is old enough.

I don't think any of the information from ESMT will be untrue. What did you think was misleading?

If you want to work in Germany, I think it's an excellent option. I would expect it to rise very quickly in rankings when the programme is old enough.
ezra

IE and ESADE are one of the top schools but the prospects of finding a job in Europe are bleak compared to an MBA from ESMT

Maybe. IE and ESADE are Spanish schools, and since grads are usually subject to the whims of the larger economy, it may be a poor time to get an MBA in Spain. IE has been able to circumvent this somewhat, because of its focus on international placements.

With a degree from ESMT, you're most likely looking at working in Germany, which means you'll need decent German language skills. Keep that in mind.

Either way, a lot will change in the Euro zone over the next few years, so nothing's a sure bet in terms of jobs in the individual countries.

It's well known in Germany.

<blockquote>IE and ESADE are one of the top schools but the prospects of finding a job in Europe are bleak compared to an MBA from ESMT</blockquote>
Maybe. IE and ESADE are Spanish schools, and since grads are usually subject to the whims of the larger economy, it may be a poor time to get an MBA in Spain. IE has been able to circumvent this somewhat, because of its focus on international placements.

With a degree from ESMT, you're most likely looking at working in Germany, which means you'll need decent German language skills. Keep that in mind.

Either way, a lot will change in the Euro zone over the next few years, so nothing's a sure bet in terms of jobs in the individual countries.

<blockquote>2) No one knows this school.</blockquote>
It's well known in Germany.

Thanks Duncan and Erza for your reply.

I am concerned about the long term disadvantage of going to ESMT compared to IE and ESADE. But then lower fee, greater chances of staying in Europe make me drift my mind towards ESMT. I do speak intermediate German and that is another advantage I have.

Thanks Duncan and Erza for your reply.

I am concerned about the long term disadvantage of going to ESMT compared to IE and ESADE. But then lower fee, greater chances of staying in Europe make me drift my mind towards ESMT. I do speak intermediate German and that is another advantage I have.
Duncan

Erza is totally connect about the strong international placements at IE. But these are not European placements outside Spain so much as international placements outside the Europe. For someone who wants to work in Europe and cannot speak fluent Spanish, IE is not the most effective choice.

Ezra is also right that ESMT has a German reputation. Personally, I think that will internationalise slowly because of the school's close relationships with the founder companies in Germany, who will recruit a big chunk of the class. ESMT got AMBA and AASCB accreditation very quickly, and will almost certainly get EQUIS accreditation (which is open only to schools over ten years old). So that means that is can be treated as *at least* as good as the least advantageous double or triple accredited school (Aston, or Durham perhaps). However, the school's placement record is really great, and I think Germany is a better place to be than Spain economically.

Erza is totally connect about the strong international placements at IE. But these are not European placements outside Spain so much as international placements outside the Europe. For someone who wants to work in Europe and cannot speak fluent Spanish, IE is not the most effective choice.

Ezra is also right that ESMT has a German reputation. Personally, I think that will internationalise slowly because of the school's close relationships with the founder companies in Germany, who will recruit a big chunk of the class. ESMT got AMBA and AASCB accreditation very quickly, and will almost certainly get EQUIS accreditation (which is open only to schools over ten years old). So that means that is can be treated as *at least* as good as the least advantageous double or triple accredited school (Aston, or Durham perhaps). However, the school's placement record is really great, and I think Germany is a better place to be than Spain economically.

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

Madrid, Spain 114 Followers 368 Discussions
Barcelona, Spain 49 Followers 245 Discussions
Madrid, Spain 6 Followers 134 Discussions
Full Profile
Berlin, Germany 159 Followers 175 Discussions

Hot Discussions