mba with concentration in social entrepreneurship or not for profit

Guille29x

Hi there, Im 40 years old, Argentine-South African citizen, with more than 10 years working in a non profit, which school do you choose in Europe (Netherlands, France, Switzerland, Germany), SA or Argentina?
I mean Im looking for a MBA with concentration on non profit or social entrepreneurship and innovation.
In addition I do not think I will get an excellent GMAT, Im coming from an humanities side
Thank you
G

Hi there, Im 40 years old, Argentine-South African citizen, with more than 10 years working in a non profit, which school do you choose in Europe (Netherlands, France, Switzerland, Germany), SA or Argentina?
I mean Im looking for a MBA with concentration on non profit or social entrepreneurship and innovation.
In addition I do not think I will get an excellent GMAT, Im coming from an humanities side
Thank you
G

HEC Geneve to start with. But I don't know many.

HEC Geneve to start with. But I don't know many.
Duncan

Try the MVA at Notre Dame or the MBAs at Nottingham, yale or the Presidio. However, you might be better supported by an MPA or MPP.

Try the MVA at Notre Dame or the MBAs at Nottingham, yale or the Presidio. However, you might be better supported by an MPA or MPP.

Hi D,

Wouldn't Yale require higher GMAT ?

Hi D,

Wouldn't Yale require higher GMAT ?
ralph

Yale's current class has an average GMAT of 722, with the middle 80% going from 680 to 760. So, yeah, if he shoots for the stars and lands in that range, he could do it.

I have to say that I really like the Presidio program. Their focus has long been in the social and corporate sustainability fields, so they're committed and not just riding the current bandwagon. But the average GMAT there is still 690.

Yale's current class has an average GMAT of 722, with the middle 80% going from 680 to 760. So, yeah, if he shoots for the stars and lands in that range, he could do it.

I have to say that I really like the Presidio program. Their focus has long been in the social and corporate sustainability fields, so they're committed and not just riding the current bandwagon. But the average GMAT there is still 690.
Guille29x

Thank you to all, I did not know about the Presidio program, Is that a recognized university in USA?

Thank you to all, I did not know about the Presidio program, Is that a recognized university in USA?
ezra

I'd classify it as a boutique program: small and focused in a particular area. So if you're in the US and working at a firm that is serious about sustainability and CSR, then you probably know about Presidio. The school got some national media attention a few years ago, so its visibility level in the CSR sphere is pretty high.

Its programs are featured in Beyond Grey Pinstripes, but it's not ranked there. I'm guessing that this is because it lacks accreditation from one of the three main accreditation bodies. It's actually kind of baffling that the program doesn't have AACSB accreditation - seems like it should be relatively easy to get.

I'd classify it as a boutique program: small and focused in a particular area. So if you're in the US and working at a firm that is serious about sustainability and CSR, then you probably know about Presidio. The school got some national media attention a few years ago, so its visibility level in the CSR sphere is pretty high.

Its programs are featured in Beyond Grey Pinstripes, but it's not ranked there. I'm guessing that this is because it lacks accreditation from one of the three main accreditation bodies. It's actually kind of baffling that the program doesn't have AACSB accreditation - seems like it should be relatively easy to get.

<blockquote>Thank you to all, I did not know about the Presidio program, Is that a recognized university in USA? </blockquote>
Guille29x

Thank you once again!

ANy recommendation in Europe? I know about OXford Said and HEC Geneve, and might be LSE...

Thank you once again!

ANy recommendation in Europe? I know about OXford Said and HEC Geneve, and might be LSE...
Duncan

Look at the Beyond Grey Pinstripes ranking. I think Notingham rather than LSE, since the LSE doesn;t have a full-time MBA.

Look at the Beyond Grey Pinstripes ranking. I think Notingham rather than LSE, since the LSE doesn;t have a full-time MBA.
ezra

Also, in terms of Europe, IE and Copenhagen Business Schools would be worth looking into. ESADE has been ramping up its offerings in this field as well.

And there are a few off the beaten path: St. Gallen has some really interesting entrepreneurship and sustainability electives; as do a few German schools like WHU - Otto Beisheim and ESMT.

Also, in terms of Europe, IE and Copenhagen Business Schools would be worth looking into. ESADE has been ramping up its offerings in this field as well.

And there are a few off the beaten path: St. Gallen has some really interesting entrepreneurship and sustainability electives; as do a few German schools like WHU - Otto Beisheim and ESMT.

Hi Duncan, Erza,

Wouldn't IO-MBA of HEC Geneve be a better program than IE, CBS, ESADE if one is to focus on sustainability and NGO ?

Hi Duncan, Erza,

Wouldn't IO-MBA of HEC Geneve be a better program than IE, CBS, ESADE if one is to focus on sustainability and NGO ?
Duncan

Because NGOs are not businesses they don't hire many MBAs. They tend to hire mpa and mpp graduates. The Geneva programme is focussed on international organisations like the UN.

Why not go somewhere like the Harvard Kennedy School which focusses on non profits?

Because NGOs are not businesses they don't hire many MBAs. They tend to hire mpa and mpp graduates. The Geneva programme is focussed on international organisations like the UN.

Why not go somewhere like the Harvard Kennedy School which focusses on non profits?
ezra

Hi Duncan, Erza,

That's actually a really good option, if you want to land a job in an international organization: I know that grads regularly get jobs at WWF, the World Health Organization, the United Nations, UNICEF, etc. But in terms of sustainability-oriented programs, I think I'd go with the St. Gallen program for Europe schools or Presidio in the US.

<blockquote>Hi Duncan, Erza,

Wouldn't IO-MBA of HEC Geneve be a better program than IE, CBS, ESADE if one is to focus on sustainability and NGO ?</blockquote>
That's actually a really good option, if you want to land a job in an international organization: I know that grads regularly get jobs at WWF, the World Health Organization, the United Nations, UNICEF, etc. But in terms of sustainability-oriented programs, I think I'd go with the St. Gallen program for Europe schools or Presidio in the US.
ezra

By the way, I saw that the HEC International Organizations MBA program is listed in Find MBA's list of best MBA programs for nonprofit management:

http://www.find-mba.com/specializations/2/non-profit

Some other good programs listed here, including Copenhagen's and the Heller MBA at Brandeis. Worth taking a look.

It's a shame that Beyond Grey Pinstripes isn't publishing new rankings this year.

By the way, I saw that the HEC International Organizations MBA program is listed in Find MBA's list of best MBA programs for nonprofit management:

http://www.find-mba.com/specializations/2/non-profit

Some other good programs listed here, including Copenhagen's and the Heller MBA at Brandeis. Worth taking a look.

It's a shame that Beyond Grey Pinstripes isn't publishing new rankings this year.
Guille29x

Thank you Ezra, I knew about that program and it is good that appears in the rankings now!

Thank you Ezra, I knew about that program and it is good that appears in the rankings now!

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

New Haven, Connecticut 42 Followers 62 Discussions
London, United Kingdom 12 Followers 116 Discussions
San Francisco, California 8 Followers 7 Discussions
St. Gallen, Switzerland 44 Followers 142 Discussions
Geneva, Switzerland 15 Followers 18 Discussions
Düsseldorf, Germany 80 Followers 206 Discussions
Full Profile
Berlin, Germany 159 Followers 175 Discussions
Oxford, United Kingdom 70 Followers 277 Discussions
Madrid, Spain 6 Followers 134 Discussions
Barcelona, Spain 49 Followers 245 Discussions
Madrid, Spain 114 Followers 367 Discussions
Frederiksberg, Denmark 57 Followers 75 Discussions
Nottingham, United Kingdom 27 Followers 180 Discussions

Other Related Content

Jan 11, 2024

LinkedIn Launches MBA Rankings of US Business Schools

News Jan 11, 2024

More than Profit: Can an MBA Program Help Make a Difference?

Article Mar 10, 2014

How a growing number of MBA programs are preparing people to work in non-profits and other mission-driven organizations

Top Business Schools for Entrepreneurs

Top List

For future entrepreneurs or those who want to push new products or initiatives inside of companies, an MBA program can provide the basic fundamentals on how to do it