MBA in France - HEC/ESSEC/Emlyon

AjitI8810

Hi guys, I am planning on doing my MBA in France but can't decide between HEC Paris, ESSEC, and Emlyon... My background is in engineering but I am not sure what I want to do when I get out. I do not speak French but am interested in getting an English-speaking job in Europe after I graduate for several years.

Which of these schools has the best connections with employers in Europe? I know that HEC is ranked highly, but is it successful in placing non EU graduates in Europe?

Hi guys, I am planning on doing my MBA in France but can't decide between HEC Paris, ESSEC, and Emlyon... My background is in engineering but I am not sure what I want to do when I get out. I do not speak French but am interested in getting an English-speaking job in Europe after I graduate for several years.

Which of these schools has the best connections with employers in Europe? I know that HEC is ranked highly, but is it successful in placing non EU graduates in Europe?
Duncan

I suggest you learn French before starting your MBA, because finding 99% of MBA roles in France need it, and you will need to be better than 100% of those who do. Read Best schools for international students' placement http://www.find-mba.com/board/41143 and Do you need to speak the local language? www.find-mba.com/board/34713

I suggest you learn French before starting your MBA, because finding 99% of MBA roles in France need it, and you will need to be better than 100% of those who do. Read Best schools for international students' placement http://www.find-mba.com/board/41143 and Do you need to speak the local language? www.find-mba.com/board/34713
annalu

Hi Ajitl8810, the MBA courses at ESSEC are all conducted in English therefore you do not have to be able to speak French. The MBA programs provide you with many career services and networking opportunities to give you as much support as possible when searching for a job.

[quote][/quote]Hi Ajitl8810, the MBA courses at ESSEC are all conducted in English therefore you do not have to be able to speak French. The MBA programs provide you with many career services and networking opportunities to give you as much support as possible when searching for a job.
Duncan

These opportunities are rather limited if you don't speak French.

These opportunities are rather limited if you don't speak French.
AjitI8810

Yes, I know that the MBA programs at all of these schools are in English. I was more curious about the post-MBA job opportunities for non-French speakers in both France and Europe more broadly.

Yes, I know that the MBA programs at all of these schools are in English. I was more curious about the post-MBA job opportunities for non-French speakers in both France and Europe more broadly.
Mamit

I totally agree with Duncan. Though your program might be taught in English but if wants to seek job or part time opportunities then you should be fluent in the language of the local community. So do consider this factor before joining your B school.

I totally agree with Duncan. Though your program might be taught in English but if wants to seek job or part time opportunities then you should be fluent in the language of the local community. So do consider this factor before joining your B school.
AjitI8810

Yes, I understand. But wouldn't you expect that a school like HEC Paris, which places around half of a given cohort in western Europe, also places students who may not have a command of the local language? After all, many international firms do business solely in English, no matter where they are located.

Yes, I understand. But wouldn't you expect that a school like HEC Paris, which places around half of a given cohort in western Europe, also places students who may not have a command of the local language? After all, many international firms do business solely in English, no matter where they are located.
Duncan

No, I would not expect that. I think HEC alumni outside France will, overwhelmingly, speak the local language.

PS Can you give me an example of an international firm that is a major recruiter of MBAs and only does business with English-speaking clients in Western European countries? Remember, HEC MBA graduates on average speak more than two languages each.

[Edited by Duncan on Jan 15, 2015]

No, I would not expect that. I think HEC alumni outside France will, overwhelmingly, speak the local language.

PS Can you give me an example of an international firm that is a major recruiter of MBAs and only does business with English-speaking clients in Western European countries? Remember, HEC MBA graduates on average speak more than two languages each.
Rachel84

Did you end up applying?

Did you end up applying?

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

Full Profile
Jouy-en-Josas, France 100 Followers 387 Discussions
Full Profile
Ecully, France 55 Followers 141 Discussions
Full Profile
Cergy-Pontoise, France 41 Followers 185 Discussions

Other Related Content

Sep 11, 2023

The GMAC MBA Tour Lands in Africa Sept. 13-19

News Sep 11, 2023

MBA Programs in France: Of Baguettes and Business School

Article Oct 03, 2011

Why the world's fifth-largest economy is drawing more international MBA candidates.

Top 10 MBA Programs in France

Top List

Looking for an MBA in France? Find the Top 10 programs here