MBA in Europe

boney_mba

Hi,
My Gmat is 660 and i have 7 years of experience in IT. I am interested in pursuing MBA from Europe .
Germany/France being the priority.

Where all should i apply? there are few schools in Germany and france that are in my mind (Mannheim,WHU, HLL, ESMT and Esslingen in germany ) and (ESSEC EDHEC,and EMLYON in france).

Also i am thinking to learn german and french

Please help

Hi,
My Gmat is 660 and i have 7 years of experience in IT. I am interested in pursuing MBA from Europe .
Germany/France being the priority.

Where all should i apply? there are few schools in Germany and france that are in my mind (Mannheim,WHU, HLL, ESMT and Esslingen in germany ) and (ESSEC EDHEC,and EMLYON in france).

Also i am thinking to learn german and french

Please help
Duncan

Why are Germany and France your priority?

If you are thinking of learning German and French then it will take you a year full-time to learn either language well enough to work. Please read http://www.find-mba.com/board/34713 If you are in either of those countries now, and will dedicate the next year to learning the language, then perhaps take an MBA in the target language rather than in English. If, on the other hand, you don't intend to work in either country then aim for the nest school you can, with the widest alumni network.

Take Essingen off your list: it does not have international accreditation, and its MBA graduates get lower salaries than MSc programmes at the top school.

Why not consider HEC or HSG?

Why are Germany and France your priority?

If you are thinking of learning German and French then it will take you a year full-time to learn either language well enough to work. Please read http://www.find-mba.com/board/34713 If you are in either of those countries now, and will dedicate the next year to learning the language, then perhaps take an MBA in the target language rather than in English. If, on the other hand, you don't intend to work in either country then aim for the nest school you can, with the widest alumni network.

Take Essingen off your list: it does not have international accreditation, and its MBA graduates get lower salaries than MSc programmes at the top school.

Why not consider HEC or HSG?
boney_mba

Hi Duncan,
First of all many thanks for your reply/suggestion. I am currently in India and intend to do my MBA from Europe and work there after completing my studies.I saw many of your threads and found that how important it is to learn the local language and reach conversational to business level. I intend to to that.
I chose Germany because of its growing economy and openness to the international students. France for the cost of its programs

You are asking about HEC Paris?
if yes, then i thought that i might not get selected because of their high GMAT average, so i did not consider it. I did not consider HSG because of its cost (70-80K) CHF.
I was skeptical about Essingen and thank you for clearing my doubt.
I am very much confused on what to do please suggest.

Hi Duncan,
First of all many thanks for your reply/suggestion. I am currently in India and intend to do my MBA from Europe and work there after completing my studies.I saw many of your threads and found that how important it is to learn the local language and reach conversational to business level. I intend to to that.
I chose Germany because of its growing economy and openness to the international students. France for the cost of its programs

You are asking about HEC Paris?
if yes, then i thought that i might not get selected because of their high GMAT average, so i did not consider it. I did not consider HSG because of its cost (70-80K) CHF.
I was skeptical about Essingen and thank you for clearing my doubt.
I am very much confused on what to do please suggest.
Duncan

If you want to work in Germany or France, you should learn German or French before starting your MBA. You won't be able to get to business standard in an MBA that is taught in English.

If you want to work in Germany or France, you should learn German or French before starting your MBA. You won't be able to get to business standard in an MBA that is taught in English.
boney_mba

I intend to join Sep 2014 session. I am going to start learning German from next week onwards.
Can you suggest some good schools in germany and france based on my profile.
I had sent my CV and GMAT score to EDHEC and HLL, both have come back with positive reply. Please let me know which schools i should select to apply from the below and also if you have any other suggestion other than the below, please let me know. That would help me more.
1. Mannheim
2. WHU OttoBeisheim
3. HLL
4. EDHEC
5. EMLYON
6. ESMT
Not in any order

I intend to join Sep 2014 session. I am going to start learning German from next week onwards.
Can you suggest some good schools in germany and france based on my profile.
I had sent my CV and GMAT score to EDHEC and HLL, both have come back with positive reply. Please let me know which schools i should select to apply from the below and also if you have any other suggestion other than the below, please let me know. That would help me more.
1. Mannheim
2. WHU OttoBeisheim
3. HLL
4. EDHEC
5. EMLYON
6. ESMT
Not in any order
Duncan

I think these are good schools. You'll need to get to B2 before you start the MBA, so do work hard on accent and grammar. If you can get those basics right, it will help you massively. Try Skyping for an hour or two every week with a native speaker as well.

Does France make sense if you are learning German? Take a look at my post called "I visited EDHEC". It feels much stronger to me than EMLyon now.

I think these are good schools. You'll need to get to B2 before you start the MBA, so do work hard on accent and grammar. If you can get those basics right, it will help you massively. Try Skyping for an hour or two every week with a native speaker as well.

Does France make sense if you are learning German? Take a look at my post called "I visited EDHEC". It feels much stronger to me than EMLyon now.
boney_mba

Thanks again Duncan.

I thought for learning both by learning 1 properly and then going for the other, but now after learning how much fluent one should be in the local language to work there, i am thinking for going for 1.

Please let me know which is better LEIPZIG or EDHEC? As i believe that WHU and Mannheim are better than EDHEC (If i am not mistaken)
I will take the decision accordingly. Please help me decide.

Thanks,
Bala

Thanks again Duncan.

I thought for learning both by learning 1 properly and then going for the other, but now after learning how much fluent one should be in the local language to work there, i am thinking for going for 1.

Please let me know which is better LEIPZIG or EDHEC? As i believe that WHU and Mannheim are better than EDHEC (If i am not mistaken)
I will take the decision accordingly. Please help me decide.

Thanks,
Bala
Duncan

I think this really depends on your goals. Probably HHL grads have higher salaries.

I think this really depends on your goals. Probably HHL grads have higher salaries.
boney_mba

My goal is to work for 2-3 years after MBA and then start my own venture in export/import between Europe and Asia.

My goal is to work for 2-3 years after MBA and then start my own venture in export/import between Europe and Asia.

boney_mba

Hi Duncan,
I have got admit both in HHL(No scholarship as of now) and EDHEC(40% scholarship). I do not know french or german.

I am confused on which one to select.
I want to work(probably Strategy or consulting) in Europe after my MBA.

Please suggest

Thanks,
Bala

Hi Duncan,
I have got admit both in HHL(No scholarship as of now) and EDHEC(40% scholarship). I do not know french or german.

I am confused on which one to select.
I want to work(probably Strategy or consulting) in Europe after my MBA.

Please suggest

Thanks,
Bala

Duncan

Interesting. I don't understand how you can do that without speaking the language, but EDHEC is perhaps better than HHL at placing international students. I think an intensive language course might be better than an MBA in that respect.

Interesting. I don't understand how you can do that without speaking the language, but EDHEC is perhaps better than HHL at placing international students. I think an intensive language course might be better than an MBA in that respect.
boney_mba

Thanks for clearing it.
I am enrolling for a 6 month language course (French) from march In India. Also I will take up the language course there too, I believe that this should work out.

Please let me know your viewpoint

Thanks for clearing it.
I am enrolling for a 6 month language course (French) from march In India. Also I will take up the language course there too, I believe that this should work out.

Please let me know your viewpoint
Duncan

I think that depends on the course. If you're taking the residential course in Pondicherry, then I think that works well. In typical part-time study over six months you could get to a low B2 level -- around 250 hours of study if you are efficient, but it will not give you the professional fluency or business vocabulary: that will take real effort.

I think that depends on the course. If you're taking the residential course in Pondicherry, then I think that works well. In typical part-time study over six months you could get to a low B2 level -- around 250 hours of study if you are efficient, but it will not give you the professional fluency or business vocabulary: that will take real effort.
praga

Hello Duncan,

I'm from India, I worked for Google Maps for 3 years and I'm currently working as a digital marketing consultant.
I have been admitted to HHL Leipzig (40% scholarship) and UCD Smurfit (20% scholarship)

I know you have already emphasized enough on the importance of acquiring maximum language proficiency. I will only be able to complete the A1 level of German before the course begins. From what the students tell me, I will be able to acquire a B1 or B2 level by the end of my course , depending on my ability.However, I personally know two people who have landed a job in Germany without any German proficiency (applied directly from India).It is very important that I get a job after my MBA.

I'm really attracted to the German economy, HHL's focus on entrepreneurship, the final offer (nearly 9000 Euros lesser than UCD). However, with the advantage of the language, higher FT ranking and Dublin's proximity to internet giant summer headquarters such as Google, Facebook and Yelp, Dublin seems like a safer bet.

Where are the final job prospects better? Also, are any of these degrees recognized back in India, in case the economy is rundown or I fail to get a sponsor.

Please suggest.Thanks in advance.

Hello Duncan,

I'm from India, I worked for Google Maps for 3 years and I'm currently working as a digital marketing consultant.
I have been admitted to HHL Leipzig (40% scholarship) and UCD Smurfit (20% scholarship)

I know you have already emphasized enough on the importance of acquiring maximum language proficiency. I will only be able to complete the A1 level of German before the course begins. From what the students tell me, I will be able to acquire a B1 or B2 level by the end of my course , depending on my ability.However, I personally know two people who have landed a job in Germany without any German proficiency (applied directly from India).It is very important that I get a job after my MBA.

I'm really attracted to the German economy, HHL's focus on entrepreneurship, the final offer (nearly 9000 Euros lesser than UCD). However, with the advantage of the language, higher FT ranking and Dublin's proximity to internet giant summer headquarters such as Google, Facebook and Yelp, Dublin seems like a safer bet.

Where are the final job prospects better? Also, are any of these degrees recognized back in India, in case the economy is rundown or I fail to get a sponsor.

Please suggest.Thanks in advance.
Duncan

Hmm. Thanks for the question. It's a tough one, and I think you are approaching it in the right way. From what you say about your background, I think you are a better fit for HHL. It's a real start-up school, like Lyon, and the MBA there is better (educationally, at least) than in Dublin. But, as you know, the Dublin MBA is older and a safer bet. And, because of the Commonwealth connection, an Irish degree will be better understood in India. Because your work background is interesting, and because the scholarship reflects HHL's confidence that you are valuable for their partners, I would choose HHL in your position. But.... and you know I am going to say this... focus on your German. There are a few roles for people who don't speak German, but you'll have more choice, a stronger negotiating position, and a much happier time in Germany if you focus on improving your German. Spend time with Germans, live with Germans, fall in love the the culture.

Hmm. Thanks for the question. It's a tough one, and I think you are approaching it in the right way. From what you say about your background, I think you are a better fit for HHL. It's a real start-up school, like Lyon, and the MBA there is better (educationally, at least) than in Dublin. But, as you know, the Dublin MBA is older and a safer bet. And, because of the Commonwealth connection, an Irish degree will be better understood in India. Because your work background is interesting, and because the scholarship reflects HHL's confidence that you are valuable for their partners, I would choose HHL in your position. But.... and you know I am going to say this... focus on your German. There are a few roles for people who don't speak German, but you'll have more choice, a stronger negotiating position, and a much happier time in Germany if you focus on improving your German. Spend time with Germans, live with Germans, fall in love the the culture.

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

Full Profile
Nice, France 30 Followers 152 Discussions
Full Profile
Berlin, Germany 159 Followers 175 Discussions
Leipzig, Germany 70 Followers 196 Discussions
Düsseldorf, Germany 80 Followers 207 Discussions
Mannheim, Germany 80 Followers 221 Discussions
Esslingen, Germany 40 Followers 46 Discussions
Full Profile
Ecully, France 55 Followers 141 Discussions