Job placement at IESE.

Aaronts

I am an American that is considering going with IESE for my MBA. My assumption is that I will be most likely to recieve a job offer in London, which leads me to wondering about getting a work permit now that Tier 1 is gone. How much tougher does this make landing a job coming out of IESE? Thanks for any help.

I am an American that is considering going with IESE for my MBA. My assumption is that I will be most likely to recieve a job offer in London, which leads me to wondering about getting a work permit now that Tier 1 is gone. How much tougher does this make landing a job coming out of IESE? Thanks for any help.
Evan2007

Tier 1 is not totally gone, but it's been revised substantially to be pretty much irrelevant in your case.

If you receive a job offer in London, then I think you fall under the Tier 2 scheme. If a UK company wants you, it's a matter of them putting through a successful sponsorship application with the Home Office.

Chances are, if they're recruiting you via IESE, then they'll want you bad enough to go through the trouble. Or put their legal team on it.

I was offered a job in the UK many years ago, but the would-be (small) sponsoring company botched the application, and the Home Office rejected it.

Tier 1 is not totally gone, but it's been revised substantially to be pretty much irrelevant in your case.

If you receive a job offer in London, then I think you fall under the Tier 2 scheme. If a UK company wants you, it's a matter of them putting through a successful sponsorship application with the Home Office.

Chances are, if they're recruiting you via IESE, then they'll want you bad enough to go through the trouble. Or put their legal team on it.

I was offered a job in the UK many years ago, but the would-be (small) sponsoring company botched the application, and the Home Office rejected it.
Duncan

Did you decide for IESE rather than an MBA in England? Wouldn't that make job-hunting easier?

Did you decide for IESE rather than an MBA in England? Wouldn't that make job-hunting easier?
ezra

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong - but I think that job-hunting would be easier, but the visa issues would still stand due to the recent revisions.

<blockquote>Did you decide for IESE rather than an MBA in England? Wouldn't that make job-hunting easier?</blockquote>
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong - but I think that job-hunting would be easier, but the visa issues would still stand due to the recent revisions.
Aaronts

Thanks for the responses. Im sure that going to a program in the U.K would make job placement and visa issues easier. However, I have my heart set on IESE, and was wondering if companies from London were recruiting myself and others(say from Europe) if I would be at a significant disadvantage due to the visa issue. I'm sure that IESE would tell me that it is easily possible to get a job, but I thought someone on here might have a more real idea of the actual advantages and disadvantages. Thanks.

Thanks for the responses. Im sure that going to a program in the U.K would make job placement and visa issues easier. However, I have my heart set on IESE, and was wondering if companies from London were recruiting myself and others(say from Europe) if I would be at a significant disadvantage due to the visa issue. I'm sure that IESE would tell me that it is easily possible to get a job, but I thought someone on here might have a more real idea of the actual advantages and disadvantages. Thanks.
Duncan

I think the placement report answers your questions. IESE grads who work elsewhere in Europe earn around 1/3rd more, which shows how bad the market is in Spain. Most of major hirers of IESE MBAs are US multinationals, and the largest single market is still Spain.

The disadvantage is not in getting a visa, but in getting access to job opportunities in the UK, especially with UK companies. If you were a UK business and you wanted to hire people for the UK market, why would you go to IESE, which is low-profile outside the US-owned finance and consulting giants? IESE has more alumni in the USA than in the UK, and the UK has a huge MBA market. IESE's MBA alumni network in the UK is perhaps one-tenth the size of London, Warwick, Henley or Cranfield, and is concentrated in foreign-owned financial institutions - especially Citi.

BT and Barclays are the two UK firms hiring majorly at IESE, but they are hiring maybe half for the UK and half for the rest of the world (in particular Barclays has hired from IESE for Switzerland, and BT for Spain).

IESE is a good school but, honestly, it's not the top school in the world unless you benefit from membership of Opus Dei, which owns the school. Why not go to LBS or even HEC, where you could be closer to British recruiters and could still spend a semester at IESE?

I think the placement report answers your questions. IESE grads who work elsewhere in Europe earn around 1/3rd more, which shows how bad the market is in Spain. Most of major hirers of IESE MBAs are US multinationals, and the largest single market is still Spain.

The disadvantage is not in getting a visa, but in getting access to job opportunities in the UK, especially with UK companies. If you were a UK business and you wanted to hire people for the UK market, why would you go to IESE, which is low-profile outside the US-owned finance and consulting giants? IESE has more alumni in the USA than in the UK, and the UK has a huge MBA market. IESE's MBA alumni network in the UK is perhaps one-tenth the size of London, Warwick, Henley or Cranfield, and is concentrated in foreign-owned financial institutions - especially Citi.

BT and Barclays are the two UK firms hiring majorly at IESE, but they are hiring maybe half for the UK and half for the rest of the world (in particular Barclays has hired from IESE for Switzerland, and BT for Spain).

IESE is a good school but, honestly, it's not the top school in the world unless you benefit from membership of Opus Dei, which owns the school. Why not go to LBS or even HEC, where you could be closer to British recruiters and could still spend a semester at IESE?
ezra

Why not go to LBS or even HEC, where you could be closer to British recruiters and could still spend a semester at IESE?

Generally I'd agree with you - LBS would be perfect if the OP has the right profile - but that school is certainly a bit more competitive than IESE.

But HEC? The top recruiters there place in France generally (Lafarge, l'Oreal,) continental (Capgemini,) or even German (Schneider Electric.) Not sure that HEC would have more leverage than one from IESE in the UK - unless you're counting the shorter flights to London.

<blockquote>Why not go to LBS or even HEC, where you could be closer to British recruiters and could still spend a semester at IESE?</blockquote>
Generally I'd agree with you - LBS would be perfect if the OP has the right profile - but that school is certainly a bit more competitive than IESE.

But HEC? The top recruiters there place in France generally (Lafarge, l'Oreal,) continental (Capgemini,) or even German (Schneider Electric.) Not sure that HEC would have more leverage than one from IESE in the UK - unless you're counting the shorter flights to London.
Duncan

Two-thirds of HEC MBAs get places abroad. That's a much higher percentage than at IESE. IESE is a stronger school, especially because its alumni get high salaries in Latin American. I don't think its European alumni do much better than HEC grads.

Two-thirds of HEC MBAs get places abroad. That's a much higher percentage than at IESE. IESE is a stronger school, especially because its alumni get high salaries in Latin American. I don't think its European alumni do much better than HEC grads.
wbsat

@duncan,

are these top spanish schools IE,IESE,ESADE and EADA suited for jobs in the latin america world only?

my enquiry is how internationally well known are these programs to land a job in other european countries ,if not USA .

@duncan,

are these top spanish schools IE,IESE,ESADE and EADA suited for jobs in the latin america world only?

my enquiry is how internationally well known are these programs to land a job in other european countries ,if not USA .
Duncan

They are certainly best suited for:
a] Jobs in Latin countries
b] Jobs in your home country.

At IESE and ESADE, which are very well known, they are also good for jobs with US multinationals outside the US.

They are certainly best suited for:
a] Jobs in Latin countries
b] Jobs in your home country.

At IESE and ESADE, which are very well known, they are also good for jobs with US multinationals outside the US.

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

Madrid, Spain 3 Followers 107 Discussions
Barcelona, Spain 29 Followers 169 Discussions
Madrid, Spain 114 Followers 367 Discussions
Full Profile
Jouy-en-Josas, France 100 Followers 387 Discussions
London, United Kingdom 168 Followers 475 Discussions
Barcelona, Spain 49 Followers 245 Discussions
Madrid, Spain 6 Followers 134 Discussions

Other Related Content

Sep 11, 2023

The GMAC MBA Tour Lands in Africa Sept. 13-19

News Sep 11, 2023

MBA School Choice: IESE Vs. ESADE

Article Sep 30, 2019

You cannot make a bad choice between these two Spanish business schools, but they offer different experiences