HEC vs ESADE

pbakshi

Hi everyone,

I have gotten into HEC [January in take] and ESADE for the MBA FT program. I am very keen on both programs for different reasons.

I am inclined towards majoring in marketing and brand strategy - hence I chose ESADE and HEC in the first place.

With regards to HEC:
I want to understand the difference between the HEC Sept intake and the HEC Jan intake. Are the internship and exchange opportunities stunted in comparison with the Sept intake? Are professors less distinguished in the Jan session?
I have been through the website thoroughly and find myself at a loss. There is very limited information with regards to the Jan intake.
[Also, I don't speak French]

ESADE on the other hand:
This school doesn't seem to have a strong reputation, even though the course, class structure and diversity and professors all seem extremely strong.

Given the choice between these two programs and the choice between Spain and France, which would you recommend?

Thanks.

Hi everyone,

I have gotten into HEC [January in take] and ESADE for the MBA FT program. I am very keen on both programs for different reasons.

I am inclined towards majoring in marketing and brand strategy - hence I chose ESADE and HEC in the first place.

With regards to HEC:
I want to understand the difference between the HEC Sept intake and the HEC Jan intake. Are the internship and exchange opportunities stunted in comparison with the Sept intake? Are professors less distinguished in the Jan session?
I have been through the website thoroughly and find myself at a loss. There is very limited information with regards to the Jan intake.
[Also, I don't speak French]

ESADE on the other hand:
This school doesn't seem to have a strong reputation, even though the course, class structure and diversity and professors all seem extremely strong.
[I don't speak Spanish]

Given the choice between these two programs and the choice between Spain and France, which would you recommend?

Thanks.
Duncan

In terms of HEC, the timetable is:-

September intake:
Professional Projects from May to August
Available for employment in January (16 months after program commencement)
Graduation in May

January intake:
Professional Projects from January to April
Available for employment in May (16 months after program commencement)
Graduation in May

Internships:
Mid-April to early-September for the September intake
January to April for the January intake

Professors and internships options will be broadly similar.

PS I would choose HEC over ESADE, but it really depends on your background, goals and interests.

In terms of HEC, the timetable is:-

September intake:
Professional Projects from May to August
Available for employment in January (16 months after program commencement)
Graduation in May

January intake:
Professional Projects from January to April
Available for employment in May (16 months after program commencement)
Graduation in May

Internships:
Mid-April to early-September for the September intake
January to April for the January intake

Professors and internships options will be broadly similar.

PS I would choose HEC over ESADE, but it really depends on your background, goals and interests.
pbakshi

In terms of my background, I have worked qualitative research.
I eventually want to move into brand strategy/ Marketing strategy.
I find the ESADE class structure and diversity to be a big crowd puller.

Why would you chose HEC over ESADE?

In terms of my background, I have worked qualitative research.
I eventually want to move into brand strategy/ Marketing strategy.
I find the ESADE class structure and diversity to be a big crowd puller.

Why would you chose HEC over ESADE?
ralph

HEC has better international mobility statistics - most likely meaning that international students have a better chance of staying in France after graduation.

Language is going to be an issue, so in either case you're going to want to try to have language classes while doing the MBA. But France may be a tad easier in terms of finding international organizations that have English as their main language.

Plus Spain isn't doing great, economically.

HEC has better international mobility statistics - most likely meaning that international students have a better chance of staying in France after graduation.

Language is going to be an issue, so in either case you're going to want to try to have language classes while doing the MBA. But France may be a tad easier in terms of finding international organizations that have English as their main language.

Plus Spain isn't doing great, economically.
pbakshi

Thanks for you post.

Though that maybe true, I have heard career services of HEC are not strong in comparison with ESADE.
As a non EU citizen, would it make sense for me to go to ESADE, where they have a strong recruitment/ placement procedure?

Thanks for you post.

Though that maybe true, I have heard career services of HEC are not strong in comparison with ESADE.
As a non EU citizen, would it make sense for me to go to ESADE, where they have a strong recruitment/ placement procedure?
Duncan

I would not take for granted the assumption that MBAs at HEC and ESADE get very different levels of careers support. Have you spoke to more than one student from both schools? In both cases, remember that the English-language MBA is very much a side-product of teaching in their domestic languages. As Ralph says, placement data are much better at HEC, but this is partly also because of the higher quality of the cohort at HEC and since the lock-step 16-month programme is easier for recruiters.

I would not take for granted the assumption that MBAs at HEC and ESADE get very different levels of careers support. Have you spoke to more than one student from both schools? In both cases, remember that the English-language MBA is very much a side-product of teaching in their domestic languages. As Ralph says, placement data are much better at HEC, but this is partly also because of the higher quality of the cohort at HEC and since the lock-step 16-month programme is easier for recruiters.
pbakshi

Is there any difference between the January intake and the September intake? Are there any pros and cons with regards to either intake?

I have been admitted for the Jan intake for HEC and Sept intake for ESADE

Thanks

Is there any difference between the January intake and the September intake? Are there any pros and cons with regards to either intake?

I have been admitted for the Jan intake for HEC and Sept intake for ESADE

Thanks
Duncan

See my note above from yesterday. No, the structure of the programme seems basically the same. Of course you might take some options in a different order.

See my note above from yesterday. No, the structure of the programme seems basically the same. Of course you might take some options in a different order.
pbakshi

a few additional things I was hoping you maybe able to answer:

- Placements for marketing at HEC vs ESADE
- Does HEC have career forums where companies visit campus?
- Percentage of students in both schools that end up working in the local market
- list of companies that come to recruit at HEC for marketing roles specifically?
- placement of non EU citizens at both programs
- How is the social life at HEC versus ESADE (both on campus and from a citytown perspective)

a few additional things I was hoping you maybe able to answer:

- Placements for marketing at HEC vs ESADE
- Does HEC have career forums where companies visit campus?
- Percentage of students in both schools that end up working in the local market
- list of companies that come to recruit at HEC for marketing roles specifically?
- placement of non EU citizens at both programs
- How is the social life at HEC versus ESADE (both on campus and from a citytown perspective)
Duncan

You should ask the schools about placement of non EU citizens. I think the rest of this is available on the schools' websites or by using LinkedIn. Take a look at http://www.find-mba.com/board/33571

You should ask the schools about placement of non EU citizens. I think the rest of this is available on the schools' websites or by using LinkedIn. Take a look at http://www.find-mba.com/board/33571

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

Full Profile
Jouy-en-Josas, France 100 Followers 387 Discussions
Barcelona, Spain 49 Followers 245 Discussions
Madrid, Spain 6 Followers 134 Discussions

Other Related Content

Sep 11, 2023

The GMAC MBA Tour Lands in Africa Sept. 13-19

News Sep 11, 2023

MBA School Choice: IESE Vs. ESADE

Article Sep 30, 2019

You cannot make a bad choice between these two Spanish business schools, but they offer different experiences

Hot Discussions