Executive MBA Advice

Allan

Hi,
New to this forum and this is my first post

Please evaluate my profile and also suggest few programs of EMBA that will be a good fit for me. My details below.

1. Work Ex: 9+ years - whole time in local holding company in CEE with c. 250 employees (financial services, real estates, specific consultancy services ? taxes), last 4 years CFO of whole holding, before executive manager of financial services project
2. Education: University in CEE, Concentration in Finance and Banking, Graduated cum laude; ACCA Qualification without proven work experience
3. GMAT- haven?t done yet
4. basic in German language

My goals:
1. opportunity for change of career, preferable stay in CEE (with salary 120k+ USD), less preferable in Germany or UK
2. networking
3. bus. management education

Study at: Germany, UK, NL, less preferable at Spain, France, Switzerland ? will I be interesting for any of FT Top 30-40 ranked Executive MBA programs, what will be their conditions? Minimal GMAT score?

Thank you very much for your help.

Hi,
New to this forum and this is my first post

Please evaluate my profile and also suggest few programs of EMBA that will be a good fit for me. My details below.

1. Work Ex: 9+ years - whole time in local holding company in CEE with c. 250 employees (financial services, real estates, specific consultancy services ? taxes), last 4 years CFO of whole holding, before executive manager of financial services project
2. Education: University in CEE, Concentration in Finance and Banking, Graduated cum laude; ACCA Qualification without proven work experience
3. GMAT- haven?t done yet
4. basic in German language

My goals:
1. opportunity for change of career, preferable stay in CEE (with salary 120k+ USD), less preferable in Germany or UK
2. networking
3. bus. management education

Study at: Germany, UK, NL, less preferable at Spain, France, Switzerland ? will I be interesting for any of FT Top 30-40 ranked Executive MBA programs, what will be their conditions? Minimal GMAT score?

Thank you very much for your help.
Duncan

I think your experience and academic background make you an interesting candidate. I think the Kellogg WHU EMBA is the best fit for you, but I would also look at IMD and ESMT. As outliers, I'd also suggest you look at the CEU and WU.

There are lots of great British schools, but I am not sure they will have a network in CEE.

I think your experience and academic background make you an interesting candidate. I think the Kellogg WHU EMBA is the best fit for you, but I would also look at IMD and ESMT. As outliers, I'd also suggest you look at the CEU and WU.

There are lots of great British schools, but I am not sure they will have a network in CEE.
ralph

Duncan's suggestions are good, and I think that your experience would be attractive to the adcomms.

You might also check out the ESSEC/Mannheim program as another option.

GMAT will be less important (and less competitive) for an EMBA program than versus a full-time MBA. The average GMAT of ESMT EMBA students, for example, is around 640.

Some programs, like the Kellogg-WHU one, don't require you to take the GMAT if you already have a recognized bachelor's degree.

Keep in mind that your experience level is a bit lower than the average for cohorts at these programs (IMD EMBA participants have on average around 15 years of experience, for instance,) so you might at a bit of a disadvantage in this area.

Duncan's suggestions are good, and I think that your experience would be attractive to the adcomms.

You might also check out the ESSEC/Mannheim program as another option.

GMAT will be less important (and less competitive) for an EMBA program than versus a full-time MBA. The average GMAT of ESMT EMBA students, for example, is around 640.

Some programs, like the Kellogg-WHU one, don't require you to take the GMAT if you already have a recognized bachelor's degree.

Keep in mind that your experience level is a bit lower than the average for cohorts at these programs (IMD EMBA participants have on average around 15 years of experience, for instance,) so you might at a bit of a disadvantage in this area.

Allan

Duncan and Ralph,

Thanks a lot for your responses, I really appreciate them. I?d like to ask you for short answers on these questions:
1. program choice: the Kellogg-WHU seems like my first option, why didn?t you recommend me also ESCP Europe (has a good FT ranking)?
2. admission criteria:
a. What does it mean recognized (bachelor's degree), I studied ChU, finished M.A. ET, is it ok?
b. I suppose that interviews are key point for successful admission process, do you have any recommendation how to prepare for interviews? E.g. a book, web pages?
c. Any recommendation for Letter of Recommendation? What should has cover / is expected from it?
3. opportunity for change of career:
a. How close is the cooperation between school and companies for recommended programs? How does school help with this goal, does the school e.g. recommend their students for cooperating companies?
b. Do I understand it well that this will be problem with UK schools (job in CEE)?
c. Will it be problem that I?ve experience just from local, not from international company?

Duncan and Ralph,

Thanks a lot for your responses, I really appreciate them. I?d like to ask you for short answers on these questions:
1. program choice: the Kellogg-WHU seems like my first option, why didn?t you recommend me also ESCP Europe (has a good FT ranking)?
2. admission criteria:
a. What does it mean recognized (bachelor's degree), I studied ChU, finished M.A. ET, is it ok?
b. I suppose that interviews are key point for successful admission process, do you have any recommendation how to prepare for interviews? E.g. a book, web pages?
c. Any recommendation for Letter of Recommendation? What should has cover / is expected from it?
a. How close is the cooperation between school and companies for recommended programs? How does school help with this goal, does the school e.g. recommend their students for cooperating companies?
b. Do I understand it well that this will be problem with UK schools (job in CEE)?
c. Will it be problem that I?ve experience just from local, not from international company?

Duncan

1. ESCP isn't very strong in central Europe.
a. Charles is well respected.
b. There's a lots of books on MBA admissions. They are all great. I recommend: http://www.amazon.co.uk/MBA-Admissions-Handbook-Everything-successful/dp/1844554228
c. The school will tell you that.
a. varies between schools. Ask them.
b. UK schools are well respected but they don't have a strong network in CEE.
c. It's not a problem for the schools.

Which countries are you focussed on?

1. ESCP isn't very strong in central Europe.
a. Charles is well respected.
b. There's a lots of books on MBA admissions. They are all great. I recommend: http://www.amazon.co.uk/MBA-Admissions-Handbook-Everything-successful/dp/1844554228
c. The school will tell you that.
a. varies between schools. Ask them.
b. UK schools are well respected but they don't have a strong network in CEE.
c. It's not a problem for the schools.

Which countries are you focussed on?
ralph

As Duncan said, I would definitely ask the schools about recruitment fairs and other employment networking opportunities. Compared to cohorts in a full-time MBA program, EMBA students tend not to require the same level of career services support (because they often stay in their own companies, rather than make a transition.) So I would definitely feel the programs out in terms of their career services capabilities.

<blockquote>3. opportunity for change of career:
a. How close is the cooperation between school and companies for recommended programs? How does school help with this goal, does the school e.g. recommend their students for cooperating companies? </blockquote>
As Duncan said, I would definitely ask the schools about recruitment fairs and other employment networking opportunities. Compared to cohorts in a full-time MBA program, EMBA students tend not to require the same level of career services support (because they often stay in their own companies, rather than make a transition.) So I would definitely feel the programs out in terms of their career services capabilities.
Allan

Duncan and Ralph,

Thanks a lot for your responses, I really appreciate them.

Duncan, I prefer to answer your question regarding country not here. Please send me an email to [email protected]. Thanks a lot.

Duncan and Ralph,

Thanks a lot for your responses, I really appreciate them.

Duncan, I prefer to answer your question regarding country not here. Please send me an email to [email protected]. Thanks a lot.

Duncan

Hi Allan. No, I was just curious. My main point on countries is just that should should study at the school with the best reputation and network in the areas you are targetting.

Hi Allan. No, I was just curious. My main point on countries is just that should should study at the school with the best reputation and network in the areas you are targetting.

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

Evanston, Illinois 71 Followers 205 Discussions
Lausanne, Switzerland 46 Followers 155 Discussions
Full Profile
Berlin, Germany 159 Followers 175 Discussions

Other Related Content

Jan 11, 2024

LinkedIn Launches MBA Rankings of US Business Schools

News Jan 11, 2024