can't decide on MBA (Netherlands)

I am living and working in the Netherlands currently and am aiming to do an MBA (in English) here starting in 2015. I would like some input on which is the best business school to attend, since there are so many options. There are three in particular at which I am looking.

The essential fact is that I am on a budget. The tuition fees at Maastricht School of Management are quite reasonable. This is very good for me.

However, I understand that Tias and Rotterdam School of Management are good choices as well, although more expensive. What are the benefits of these schools over MSM?

I am living and working in the Netherlands currently and am aiming to do an MBA (in English) here starting in 2015. I would like some input on which is the best business school to attend, since there are so many options. There are three in particular at which I am looking.

The essential fact is that I am on a budget. The tuition fees at Maastricht School of Management are quite reasonable. This is very good for me.

However, I understand that Tias and Rotterdam School of Management are good choices as well, although more expensive. What are the benefits of these schools over MSM?
Duncan

I think it would be a great idea to search the discussion board and come back with any questions remaining. MSM is an export brand, not well suited to those looking to progress in Europe.

I think it would be a great idea to search the discussion board and come back with any questions remaining. MSM is an export brand, not well suited to those looking to progress in Europe.

Hello Andreas, a valid question. Many MBA candidates in The Netherlands are condisering between these three Business Schools. In fact it will be a very personal choice. Each MBA programme is offering an MBA that will be catering to different needs. Also you might want to check the schedules and how these are fitting in your personal life.

Also the brand factor and how much it will aid your objectives will be something to consider. As you are living in The Netherlands my advise would be to visit each University and where possible join their EMBA students for a class and experience it yourself.

I myself work for RSM and am an Executive MBA student at the moment myself. The higher tuition fees are usually there for a reason:) On the 6th of September we have an Open Day, should your schedule allow, do drop by! We will be happy to meet with you and show RSM, a follow up could be a class visit on the 19th of September or 3rd of October

Kind regards, Bart Scheenaard (RSM MBA)

Hello Andreas, a valid question. Many MBA candidates in The Netherlands are condisering between these three Business Schools. In fact it will be a very personal choice. Each MBA programme is offering an MBA that will be catering to different needs. Also you might want to check the schedules and how these are fitting in your personal life.

Also the brand factor and how much it will aid your objectives will be something to consider. As you are living in The Netherlands my advise would be to visit each University and where possible join their EMBA students for a class and experience it yourself.

I myself work for RSM and am an Executive MBA student at the moment myself. The higher tuition fees are usually there for a reason:) On the 6th of September we have an Open Day, should your schedule allow, do drop by! We will be happy to meet with you and show RSM, a follow up could be a class visit on the 19th of September or 3rd of October

Kind regards, Bart Scheenaard (RSM MBA)
Razors Edg...

Hey Bart, a bit off topic but can you give some insight into whether for international students it's necessary to speak Dutch if you want to get a job in the country after graduation?

From what I understand, there aren't many jobs in the country that only require English.

Hey Bart, a bit off topic but can you give some insight into whether for international students it's necessary to speak Dutch if you want to get a job in the country after graduation?

From what I understand, there aren't many jobs in the country that only require English.
Benson001

Great discussion about MBA admission, Helps me a lot, Thanks

Great discussion about MBA admission, Helps me a lot, Thanks
gpretzel

Hi all, after a long while of focusing on American B-schools, I am brand new to the idea of international ones.

To hijack this post, when we say things like "MSM is an export brand" does that truly mean that these schools are in higher regard internationally, or simply that they do not focus on preparing students to stay and work within the country?

Due to my Dutch I doubt I could stay in the Netherlands, so my primary concern is finding a one-year program whose name is known well enough internationally that it could open doors for me. Personal interests and contacts have led me to be most interested in Dutch schools - would anyone say one is better than the other in this regard?

Hi all, after a long while of focusing on American B-schools, I am brand new to the idea of international ones.

To hijack this post, when we say things like "MSM is an export brand" does that truly mean that these schools are in higher regard internationally, or simply that they do not focus on preparing students to stay and work within the country?

Due to my Dutch I doubt I could stay in the Netherlands, so my primary concern is finding a one-year program whose name is known well enough internationally that it could open doors for me. Personal interests and contacts have led me to be most interested in Dutch schools - would anyone say one is better than the other in this regard?
Duncan

I think the rankings are a good guide. Indeed, MSM's core business is running part-time programmes in the developing world for students who are working in growing economies and want to remain there. The full-time MBA there is a small programme not very likely to lead to work in the Netherlands, especially for student who don't speak Dutch before starting the programme. MSM is a school that ticks all the accreditation boxes, but it's tiny: 20 full and associate professors, and little profile with traditional MBA recruiters. The MSA is delivered in partnership with the university of Maastricht, but the degree comes from MSM rather than the university, and it is not clear to me that MSM alumni can access the university's alumni network or careers services.

I think the question for you is: where do you want your degree to be recognised. There is only one globally-known MBA in The Netherlands: Rotterdam. Nyenrode and TIAS are well respected in Europe, especially for research, and both Amsterdam and the university of Maastricht perform well in research. If I was in your position, I would certainly consider RSM above all others, then TIAS and perhaps Nyenrode (which is a very strong domestic brand), but not MSM.

I think the rankings are a good guide. Indeed, MSM's core business is running part-time programmes in the developing world for students who are working in growing economies and want to remain there. The full-time MBA there is a small programme not very likely to lead to work in the Netherlands, especially for student who don't speak Dutch before starting the programme. MSM is a school that ticks all the accreditation boxes, but it's tiny: 20 full and associate professors, and little profile with traditional MBA recruiters. The MSA is delivered in partnership with the university of Maastricht, but the degree comes from MSM rather than the university, and it is not clear to me that MSM alumni can access the university's alumni network or careers services.

I think the question for you is: where do you want your degree to be recognised. There is only one globally-known MBA in The Netherlands: Rotterdam. Nyenrode and TIAS are well respected in Europe, especially for research, and both Amsterdam and the university of Maastricht perform well in research. If I was in your position, I would certainly consider RSM above all others, then TIAS and perhaps Nyenrode (which is a very strong domestic brand), but not MSM.

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

Rotterdam, Netherlands 80 Followers 224 Discussions
Maastricht, Netherlands 33 Followers 33 Discussions
Tilburg, Netherlands 22 Followers 79 Discussions

Hot Discussions