Online MBA course delivery and technology

georgep

A few months back I was wondering what technology and course delivery involved in these online/distance MBAs. Do I have to sit all alone with a bunch of books and handouts and scratch my head for months and write 3 hrs exams once a year?
I have done such things 15 years before. Horrible!

Aren't we in a different world with twitters, facebooks, iPads, iPhones and Androids now?

After joining Durham Business School (DBS) Global MBA, I found that it is a lot more advanced. Just thought I should share this..

Here are some of the features of DBS course delivery and technology

1. Online seminars/lectures via Elluminate Live (Live Video/Audio/Text Chat/media share etc)

2. Guest speakers/lecture broadcast via audio/video.

3. Assignments submissions via Turnitin (leading academic plagiarism detector). Corrections and feedbacks are all paperless.

4. Student Portal using Blackboard (accessible even from your Android phone).

5. Every module as a mini-site which has items such as

+ Learning Materials (digital versions - very nice to read using iPad/Amazon Kindle/Android pad etc)
+ Text Book resources
+ Video clips - Lectures
+ Library catalogue search
+ Assessment details
+ Tutor lead collaboration site which has
x Group Home page showing all students for this module for this term
x Group Discussion Board
x Chat mails/ Micro blog

( I did a bit of research at the tutors profiles, they are genuinely lecturers/professors/PhD researchers from Durham as well as from other partner business schools such as Cass, EBS, MBS, etc.)

6. Cafe Mamba - Online cafe for MBA, MA and MSc students

7. Alumni Association via Durham Agora Site

8. Employability & Skills blog - Career counselling

9. Online file storage

10. Web outlook email

11. Citrix remote desktop to the university network

12. Online library catalogue with dedicated ?home delivery? of the books that you would like to loan for distance students. (It is like online DVD rentals with proper both way posting with neat covers).

13. Fully searchable online electronic journals for all major journals.

14. Video tutorials on how to write assignments, paper submission, etc

15. Video tutorials on how to use each online technology tool for your study.

Other goodies:

1. SCONUL Access scheme
SCONUL card allows free membership and borrowing rights in top unis, national libraries. I barrowed a book from Cass.

2. Campus Card
For both DBS library and Durham Main library access etc ( I haven?t used it yet ? never been to Durham so far).

3. NSU card:
Lots of discounts in shopping, food, travel, etc. ( I guess in the next 3 years I could save good amount.)

I think DBS is pretty good in technology and delivery of their Global MBA programme given the competitive fee.

They should promote their course properly like IE, Warwick, Manchester etc to get better visibility.

I come to know that other schools such as LBS, Aston also using Turnitin, Blackboard, Elluminate etc.

Anyone from other schools would like to share their experience?

If you are planning to do an Online MBA, budget for the following must haves as well ..

1. iPad (Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 is much better)
2. iPhone (or Android smart phone such as Samsung Galaxy)
3. A windows 7 laptop (or Mac book) with webcam
4. Good Broadband internet ( a 3G wireless internet - if you are travelling a lot)
5. MS office (if you are on a tight budget Open office will do)
6. A headset with microphone (something like the one used by call center people). It allows you to listen and talk while typing in the chat window.
7. (optional) Amazon Kindle - if you like to read outdoors like me - don't have to worry about battery for weeks.
8. Couple of USB memory sticks
9. A carry bag/backpack for these portable devices.

A few months back I was wondering what technology and course delivery involved in these online/distance MBAs. Do I have to sit all alone with a bunch of books and handouts and scratch my head for months and write 3 hrs exams once a year?
I have done such things 15 years before. Horrible!

Aren't we in a different world with twitters, facebooks, iPads, iPhones and Androids now?

After joining Durham Business School (DBS) Global MBA, I found that it is a lot more advanced. Just thought I should share this..

Here are some of the features of DBS course delivery and technology

1. Online seminars/lectures via Elluminate Live (Live Video/Audio/Text Chat/media share etc)

2. Guest speakers/lecture broadcast via audio/video.

3. Assignments submissions via Turnitin (leading academic plagiarism detector). Corrections and feedbacks are all paperless.

4. Student Portal using Blackboard (accessible even from your Android phone).

5. Every module as a mini-site which has items such as

+ Learning Materials (digital versions - very nice to read using iPad/Amazon Kindle/Android pad etc)
+ Text Book resources
+ Video clips - Lectures
+ Library catalogue search
+ Assessment details
+ Tutor lead collaboration site which has
x Group Home page showing all students for this module for this term
x Group Discussion Board
x Chat mails/ Micro blog

( I did a bit of research at the tutors profiles, they are genuinely lecturers/professors/PhD researchers from Durham as well as from other partner business schools such as Cass, EBS, MBS, etc.)

6. Cafe Mamba - Online cafe for MBA, MA and MSc students

7. Alumni Association via Durham Agora Site

8. Employability & Skills blog - Career counselling

9. Online file storage

10. Web outlook email

11. Citrix remote desktop to the university network

12. Online library catalogue with dedicated ?home delivery? of the books that you would like to loan for distance students. (It is like online DVD rentals with proper both way posting with neat covers).

13. Fully searchable online electronic journals for all major journals.

14. Video tutorials on how to write assignments, paper submission, etc

15. Video tutorials on how to use each online technology tool for your study.

Other goodies:

1. SCONUL Access scheme
SCONUL card allows free membership and borrowing rights in top unis, national libraries. I barrowed a book from Cass.

2. Campus Card
For both DBS library and Durham Main library access etc ( I haven?t used it yet ? never been to Durham so far).

3. NSU card:
Lots of discounts in shopping, food, travel, etc. ( I guess in the next 3 years I could save good amount.)

I think DBS is pretty good in technology and delivery of their Global MBA programme given the competitive fee.

They should promote their course properly like IE, Warwick, Manchester etc to get better visibility.

I come to know that other schools such as LBS, Aston also using Turnitin, Blackboard, Elluminate etc.

Anyone from other schools would like to share their experience?

If you are planning to do an Online MBA, budget for the following must haves as well ..

1. iPad (Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 is much better)
2. iPhone (or Android smart phone such as Samsung Galaxy)
3. A windows 7 laptop (or Mac book) with webcam
4. Good Broadband internet ( a 3G wireless internet - if you are travelling a lot)
5. MS office (if you are on a tight budget Open office will do)
6. A headset with microphone (something like the one used by call center people). It allows you to listen and talk while typing in the chat window.
7. (optional) Amazon Kindle - if you like to read outdoors like me - don't have to worry about battery for weeks.
8. Couple of USB memory sticks
9. A carry bag/backpack for these portable devices.

georgep

Anyone would like to share your Online MBA programme delivery?

Anyone would like to share your Online MBA programme delivery?

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

Durham (United Kingdom), United Kingdom (UK) 58 Followers 86 Discussions