New online MBA ranking from the FT

Inactive User

Looks like the FT has finally published an online MBA ranking:

http://www.find-mba.com/article/877/the-ft-releases-online-mba-program-ranking

I find a couple of things strange about it:

1. They only surveyed 17 schools? There must be 100s of online MBA programs from accredited business schools. Why only 17?
2. Of the 17 schools, only 15 were listed - what are the other two schools and why weren't they ranked?
3. Notable exceptions from the list: where is UNC? Aston? Washington State?

In all, this feels like an unfinished ranking. I don't know how valuable it actually is, other than that it provides some salary statistics for a handful of schools.

Looks like the FT has finally published an online MBA ranking:

http://www.find-mba.com/article/877/the-ft-releases-online-mba-program-ranking

I find a couple of things strange about it:

1. They only surveyed 17 schools? There must be 100s of online MBA programs from accredited business schools. Why only 17?
2. Of the 17 schools, only 15 were listed - what are the other two schools and why weren't they ranked?
3. Notable exceptions from the list: where is UNC? Aston? Washington State?

In all, this feels like an unfinished ranking. I don't know how valuable it actually is, other than that it provides some salary statistics for a handful of schools.
Optidorf

I assume that's because not all schools are willing to reveal their data. Most schools are quite secretive about criteria such as salary increase, otherwise they would have used it for their marketing efforts.

I assume that's because not all schools are willing to reveal their data. Most schools are quite secretive about criteria such as salary increase, otherwise they would have used it for their marketing efforts.
Duncan

UNC doesn't have a graduating class three years out, so that's a good reason to not have that in. I imagine that the FT will have relied on schools to take help circulate the questionnaire. Given the risk of taking part in the first ranking, it's easy to see why people would would their programmes stay out.

That said, I think the ranking is an excellent tool. Even the weaker programmes will do better, because clear visibility of a modest outcome is worth more to most students than unclear visibility of a better one.

UNC doesn't have a graduating class three years out, so that's a good reason to not have that in. I imagine that the FT will have relied on schools to take help circulate the questionnaire. Given the risk of taking part in the first ranking, it's easy to see why people would would their programmes stay out.

That said, I think the ranking is an excellent tool. Even the weaker programmes will do better, because clear visibility of a modest outcome is worth more to most students than unclear visibility of a better one.
Duncan

I think one very interesting side effect of the online ranking would be: what would happen to the European Business Schools ranking if the online ranking was included? IE, Warwick, Durham and Durham would get a huge boost. IE's placement is especially interesting because it's a small programme, and IE must have worked hard to ensure there was a high response rate.

I'm very interested to see how Henley and Manchester will react to this: I wonder if there programmes have too much time on campus to count as online MBAs?

I think one very interesting side effect of the online ranking would be: what would happen to the European Business Schools ranking if the online ranking was included? IE, Warwick, Durham and Durham would get a huge boost. IE's placement is especially interesting because it's a small programme, and IE must have worked hard to ensure there was a high response rate.

I'm very interested to see how Henley and Manchester will react to this: I wonder if there programmes have too much time on campus to count as online MBAs?
Inactive User

Agreed about it being an excellent tool, hopefully more schools are included in the future.

What's interesting to me, seeing these all laid out in a table, is how the UK programs look to be such a good value, when looking at tuition and salary increase. I wonder if this ranking will eventually have a moderating effect on the tuitions of the more expensive US programs, particularly those that don't seem to pay off as well - Babson Olin and Thunderbird, for instance.

Agreed about it being an excellent tool, hopefully more schools are included in the future.

What's interesting to me, seeing these all laid out in a table, is how the UK programs look to be such a good value, when looking at tuition and salary increase. I wonder if this ranking will eventually have a moderating effect on the tuitions of the more expensive US programs, particularly those that don't seem to pay off as well - Babson Olin and Thunderbird, for instance.
Duncan

No, those US schools don't really compete with the UK schools.

No, those US schools don't really compete with the UK schools.
saroo

is anybody know why Manchester is not ranked by ft

is anybody know why Manchester is not ranked by ft
Duncan

Manchester does not have an online MBA. Students need to attend campus every semester if they are in the Global MBA. Perhaps that's why?

Manchester does not have an online MBA. Students need to attend campus every semester if they are in the Global MBA. Perhaps that's why?

Hult Part-Time MBA Application Deadline
24 Hours Left to Change Your Future

Start Your Application

Dear David,

Our Global Part-Time MBA Application Deadline is Sunday, March 16th, 2014 - Only 24 hours left to secure your seat and your scholarship/financial aid eligibility for the September 2014 intake.

Hult Part-Time MBA Application Deadline
24 Hours Left to Change Your Future

Start Your Application

Dear David,

Our Global Part-Time MBA Application Deadline is Sunday, March 16th, 2014 - Only 24 hours left to secure your seat and your scholarship/financial aid eligibility for the September 2014 intake.

Duncan

This is a discussion board. Please use it to answer questions.

This is a discussion board. Please use it to answer questions.

David, this is a discussion board. Please use it to answer questions. If you want to advertise Hult (I guess you still work for its London campus) then there's a link below for contacting the advertising team.

PS I recommend you identify yourself as a Hult/EF employee on your profile page.

Dear Mr. Duncan,

I am sorry for causing misunderstanding to you. I dont work for Hult or EF and indeed the purpose of that email was to show that the way the Hult is doing marketing. I am getting that kind of emails since long from Hult continuously despite i have told them over phone that i am not interested in their program.

I am surprised how a business school can do that kind of marketing. Getting into MBA is far different than buying grocery and they need to understand their audience and should not send that kind of emails that will only further tarnish their image as a business school.

<blockquote>David, this is a discussion board. Please use it to answer questions. If you want to advertise Hult (I guess you still work for its London campus) then there's a link below for contacting the advertising team.

PS I recommend you identify yourself as a Hult/EF employee on your profile page.</blockquote>

Dear Mr. Duncan,

I am sorry for causing misunderstanding to you. I dont work for Hult or EF and indeed the purpose of that email was to show that the way the Hult is doing marketing. I am getting that kind of emails since long from Hult continuously despite i have told them over phone that i am not interested in their program.

I am surprised how a business school can do that kind of marketing. Getting into MBA is far different than buying grocery and they need to understand their audience and should not send that kind of emails that will only further tarnish their image as a business school.
Duncan

Ah! Sorry. I will remove my post. I know a couple of people at Hult's campus who are called Smart.

Ah! Sorry. I will remove my post. I know a couple of people at Hult's campus who are called Smart.

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

Pullman, Washington 7 Followers 6 Discussions
Chapel Hill, North Carolina 36 Followers 21 Discussions
Birmingham (United Kingdom), United Kingdom (UK) 28 Followers 32 Discussions

Other Related Content

Are Online MBA Programs Closing the Quality Gap?

Article Nov 05, 2019

More distance learning programs are upgrading technology and using residencies to match up with on-campus programs