FT's 2012 Online MBA Listings

ralph

Just thought I'd create a topic where we could discuss the FT's 2012 Online MBA program listings. One of the main things that strikes me is how different US-based programs are from those in Europe and the UK. Think about the following factors:

Dispersion of international students. Only 5% of students enrolled in US-based online programs are international - compared to 71% of European schools.

Cost. AACSB-accredited online programs in the US cost, on average, about $60,000. In the UK, this number is about $30k.

Location. Almost half of the listed programs are in the States.

So, does all this mean that the American schools creating expensive, boutique programs that are walled off from the rest of the world?

Thoughts?

Just thought I'd create a topic where we could discuss the FT's 2012 Online MBA program listings. One of the main things that strikes me is how different US-based programs are from those in Europe and the UK. Think about the following factors:

Dispersion of international students. Only 5% of students enrolled in US-based online programs are international - compared to 71% of European schools.

Cost. AACSB-accredited online programs in the US cost, on average, about $60,000. In the UK, this number is about $30k.

Location. Almost half of the listed programs are in the States.

So, does all this mean that the American schools creating expensive, boutique programs that are walled off from the rest of the world?

Thoughts?
shamylk

I sort of agree with you that is why I didn't apply to any US online program....very high cost!!

I sort of agree with you that is why I didn't apply to any US online program....very high cost!!
ralph

Especially at the new UNC program, where tuition is $90k! I guess in some ways it can be more affordable than a class-based program, because you don't have to find housing in a new city, and in UNC's case, the fees also cover your weekend immersion sessions as well.

Especially at the new UNC program, where tuition is $90k! I guess in some ways it can be more affordable than a class-based program, because you don't have to find housing in a new city, and in UNC's case, the fees also cover your weekend immersion sessions as well.
Darren-KD

This is a good discussion. I wanted to provide some perspective on a couple of points. For full transparency, I do work for Kelley Direct Programs at Indiana University.

It is important to look at the full picture of value - not just cost. One of the things that we have found at KD is that our students are seeing an immediate return on their investment. In a recent study we found that it took just over 2 years for the average Kelley Direct graduate to achieve a full return on his/her investment.

I would also be careful in reading too much into the international student percentage, given the size of the United States and the close proximity of European countries to each other. Well over half of Kelley Direct students are located 500+ miles away from Indiana. If we were located in Europe practically all of those students would be considered "international". As it is, while 7% of our students are located outside of the US, over 20% of our students are citizens of other countries. The diversity of thought and exposure to the global business environment is very strong at Kelley.

Thanks for the opportunity to contribute to the discussion and good luck to everyone on your MBA search!

This is a good discussion. I wanted to provide some perspective on a couple of points. For full transparency, I do work for Kelley Direct Programs at Indiana University.

It is important to look at the full picture of value - not just cost. One of the things that we have found at KD is that our students are seeing an immediate return on their investment. In a recent study we found that it took just over 2 years for the average Kelley Direct graduate to achieve a full return on his/her investment.

I would also be careful in reading too much into the international student percentage, given the size of the United States and the close proximity of European countries to each other. Well over half of Kelley Direct students are located 500+ miles away from Indiana. If we were located in Europe practically all of those students would be considered "international". As it is, while 7% of our students are located outside of the US, over 20% of our students are citizens of other countries. The diversity of thought and exposure to the global business environment is very strong at Kelley.

Thanks for the opportunity to contribute to the discussion and good luck to everyone on your MBA search!
ralph

Thanks, Darren, for your insight.

In a recent study we found that it took just over 2 years for the average Kelley Direct graduate to achieve a full return on his/her investment.

This is really interesting, as it seems like a lot of schools running online MBA programs are hesitant to publish this kind of data, for one reason or another.

I would also be careful in reading too much into the international student percentage, given the size of the United States and the close proximity of European countries to each other. Well over half of Kelley Direct students are located 500+ miles away from Indiana. If we were located in Europe practically all of those students would be considered "international".

Point taken.

If you don't mind Darren, just a quick question about the KD program specifically. What kind of career services are provided? And how do career services and other support systems add to the value of the KD program?

Thanks, Darren, for your insight.

<blockquote>In a recent study we found that it took just over 2 years for the average Kelley Direct graduate to achieve a full return on his/her investment.</blockquote>
This is really interesting, as it seems like a lot of schools running online MBA programs are hesitant to publish this kind of data, for one reason or another.

<blockquote>I would also be careful in reading too much into the international student percentage, given the size of the United States and the close proximity of European countries to each other. Well over half of Kelley Direct students are located 500+ miles away from Indiana. If we were located in Europe practically all of those students would be considered "international". </blockquote>
Point taken.

If you don't mind Darren, just a quick question about the KD program specifically. What kind of career services are provided? And how do career services and other support systems add to the value of the KD program?
Darren-KD

Thanks for your question, Ralph. I'm happy to answer it.

KD students have full access to the resources of Kelley's Graduate Career Services (GCS). This includes individual consulting appointments, resume reviews, assistance with job search strategies, and overall career planning. Upon graduation our alums have access to these same services from the Kelley Alumni Office.

KD students may also participate in on-campus interviews. To do so they must first meet with GCS to ensure that their career goals align with the types of companies that recruit at Kelley. They must also be able to appear at the interviews in person (that is the companies' requirement). We will help the student find housing for the recruiting season if they do not live within driving distance of Bloomington.

We have also added a 1.5 credit hour elective course for KD students taught by a GCS career coach. The class is based on the unique approach GCS has developed to help students identify, develop, and promote their personal "brand", whether they are looking to advance within their current career (which is the goal of 80% of KD students) or make a switch.

Personally, I think the really cool thing about what our Graduate Career Services does is that the skills they help our students develop are useful whether they want to look for a new job or stay on their current career path. While the skills learned in their courses are vital, I think that the career skills our students are learning are also an important factor in our students' high promotion rates (50% are getting promoted before they even graduate).

I hope this answers your question. If you (or anyone else) have any other questions, feel free to post them here.

Thanks for your question, Ralph. I'm happy to answer it.

KD students have full access to the resources of Kelley's Graduate Career Services (GCS). This includes individual consulting appointments, resume reviews, assistance with job search strategies, and overall career planning. Upon graduation our alums have access to these same services from the Kelley Alumni Office.

KD students may also participate in on-campus interviews. To do so they must first meet with GCS to ensure that their career goals align with the types of companies that recruit at Kelley. They must also be able to appear at the interviews in person (that is the companies' requirement). We will help the student find housing for the recruiting season if they do not live within driving distance of Bloomington.

We have also added a 1.5 credit hour elective course for KD students taught by a GCS career coach. The class is based on the unique approach GCS has developed to help students identify, develop, and promote their personal "brand", whether they are looking to advance within their current career (which is the goal of 80% of KD students) or make a switch.

Personally, I think the really cool thing about what our Graduate Career Services does is that the skills they help our students develop are useful whether they want to look for a new job or stay on their current career path. While the skills learned in their courses are vital, I think that the career skills our students are learning are also an important factor in our students' high promotion rates (50% are getting promoted before they even graduate).

I hope this answers your question. If you (or anyone else) have any other questions, feel free to post them here.
Sparks

In some European countries, 500 miles might only take you from one city to another. It's a good job you're teaching business, not geography :-)

Well over half of Kelley Direct students are located 500+ miles away from Indiana. If we were located in Europe practically all of those students would be considered "international".

However, I take the point. If you're teaching someone in Alaska, he or she might as well be in another country. Though the same might be said of someone in the Highlands of Scotland doing a distance learning MBA at Imperial College London.

In some European countries, 500 miles might only take you from one city to another. It's a good job you're teaching business, not geography :-)

<blockquote>Well over half of Kelley Direct students are located 500+ miles away from Indiana. If we were located in Europe practically all of those students would be considered "international".</blockquote>

However, I take the point. If you're teaching someone in Alaska, he or she might as well be in another country. Though the same might be said of someone in the Highlands of Scotland doing a distance learning MBA at Imperial College London.

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

Bloomington, Indiana 40 Followers 32 Discussions
Chapel Hill, North Carolina 36 Followers 21 Discussions

Other Related Content

Are Online MBA Programs Closing the Quality Gap?

Article Nov 05, 2019

More distance learning programs are upgrading technology and using residencies to match up with on-campus programs