EMBA Program Advice? Any grads?

Any grads here from any of the following programs?

MBA@UNC
Penn State World Campus Online MBA
West Virginia University Online EMBA
University of Pittsburgh Katz EMBA
Carnegie Mellon Tepper EMBA

Any thoughts on these programs? The good, the bad?

I have almost 10 years of experience in a technical field and I have a Master's Degree. Employer will partially sponsor me for this EMBA. I'm looking for a rigorous program, not just a diploma.

Any grads here from any of the following programs?

MBA@UNC
Penn State World Campus Online MBA
West Virginia University Online EMBA
University of Pittsburgh Katz EMBA
Carnegie Mellon Tepper EMBA

Any thoughts on these programs? The good, the bad?

I have almost 10 years of experience in a technical field and I have a Master's Degree. Employer will partially sponsor me for this EMBA. I'm looking for a rigorous program, not just a diploma.
Duncan

There's a huge difference between an online programme and one that is taught face to face. That is generally reflected in the pricing, where most schools charge online students around 3/5ths of the on-campus price. "Rigor" is an interesting concept, and I wonder if you might be looking at the MBA only in terms of hard skills. The personally transformative elements and soft skills are equally important in the transition from manager to leader.

There's a huge difference between an online programme and one that is taught face to face. That is generally reflected in the pricing, where most schools charge online students around 3/5ths of the on-campus price. "Rigor" is an interesting concept, and I wonder if you might be looking at the MBA only in terms of hard skills. The personally transformative elements and soft skills are equally important in the transition from manager to leader.

I'm looking at hard and soft skills, hence why the face to face programs are listed (the schools in Pittsburgh). I'm having a difficult time deciding between the online programs (which would allow me to move if required by my job and still finish my MBA) and the local face to face ones. This is why I was asking opinions here from people to see if they had any experience with these programs. I am not interested in an online MBA that is just a diploma (and I believe there are programs out there that are just that). I have tried to research schools and apply to ones that teach a full curriculum and promote interaction amongst students through their immersions.

I'm looking at hard and soft skills, hence why the face to face programs are listed (the schools in Pittsburgh). I'm having a difficult time deciding between the online programs (which would allow me to move if required by my job and still finish my MBA) and the local face to face ones. This is why I was asking opinions here from people to see if they had any experience with these programs. I am not interested in an online MBA that is just a diploma (and I believe there are programs out there that are just that). I have tried to research schools and apply to ones that teach a full curriculum and promote interaction amongst students through their immersions.
ralph

The Katz and Tepper programs are really good - but I believe that the Tepper program is geared mainly at finance and wealth management executives. Interesting program but not for everybody.

Most of the EMBA programs are modular, in that you go to class for a couple of days one to two times a month. I think that the Katz program meets every other weekend - so depending on how far you moved you could still fly in for it.

Although the MBA@UNC has immersion weeks that will help with your soft skills. This is generally aimed at people with less experience - students have 7 years of work experience on average, compared to around 12-14 for the Katz program.

The Katz and Tepper programs are really good - but I believe that the Tepper program is geared mainly at finance and wealth management executives. Interesting program but not for everybody.

Most of the EMBA programs are modular, in that you go to class for a couple of days one to two times a month. I think that the Katz program meets every other weekend - so depending on how far you moved you could still fly in for it.

Although the MBA@UNC has immersion weeks that will help with your soft skills. This is generally aimed at people with less experience - students have 7 years of work experience on average, compared to around 12-14 for the Katz program.

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 32 Followers 9 Discussions
Chapel Hill, North Carolina 36 Followers 21 Discussions
Morgantown, West Virginia 5 Followers 2 Discussions

Other Related Content

Are Online MBA Programs Closing the Quality Gap?

Article Nov 05, 2019

More distance learning programs are upgrading technology and using residencies to match up with on-campus programs