Distance learning or no learning

Hi,
I am contemplating a Distance learning MBA from Strathclyde or Warwick in UK. Already have an offer from Strathclyde and waiting for a response from Warwick.
In terms of the value of a Distance Learning MBA, it is obviously not as much as a full time - but I guess in my situation it would either need to be a distance learning MBA or nothing at all.

Q. Is distance learning valuable at all? Any views?

My Situation: I have been into Technology consulting for about 9 years now, plan to move into strategy consulting and hoping that an MBA will help. Will a distance learning MBA add any value here?

I do understand that the certificate says nothing about the mode of study but it would not be difficult for an employer to figure out that it wasn't full time with the fact that there hasn't been a career break.

Any views would be much appreciated

Hi,
I am contemplating a Distance learning MBA from Strathclyde or Warwick in UK. Already have an offer from Strathclyde and waiting for a response from Warwick.
In terms of the value of a Distance Learning MBA, it is obviously not as much as a full time - but I guess in my situation it would either need to be a distance learning MBA or nothing at all.

Q. Is distance learning valuable at all? Any views?

My Situation: I have been into Technology consulting for about 9 years now, plan to move into strategy consulting and hoping that an MBA will help. Will a distance learning MBA add any value here?

I do understand that the certificate says nothing about the mode of study but it would not be difficult for an employer to figure out that it wasn't full time with the fact that there hasn't been a career break.

Any views would be much appreciated
donho199

I am saying from my experience as a person already on an distance learning MSc Information Systems.

First, ask yourself whether when you sign-up for a distance course, will you put in the same effort as a real course. It would require discipline, dedication that not everyone can do. I know you are very professional but we all know consulting is not 9-5 job, then you have family and your kids etc.

Second, one of the most important part of MBA is networking, will you think that the social dimension is as strong as a real learning community.

Third is how employers see you, now i know that employers dont value elearning as an equal subtitute to a traditional course which you attend class. But if you can do 1 + 2 well then there is reason to overcome 3.

What i suggest you do is try to tast it first, is there a school where you can do individual module? Or postgraduate certifiacate and then top it up? try b4 you buy

I am saying from my experience as a person already on an distance learning MSc Information Systems.

First, ask yourself whether when you sign-up for a distance course, will you put in the same effort as a real course. It would require discipline, dedication that not everyone can do. I know you are very professional but we all know consulting is not 9-5 job, then you have family and your kids etc.

Second, one of the most important part of MBA is networking, will you think that the social dimension is as strong as a real learning community.

Third is how employers see you, now i know that employers dont value elearning as an equal subtitute to a traditional course which you attend class. But if you can do 1 + 2 well then there is reason to overcome 3.

What i suggest you do is try to tast it first, is there a school where you can do individual module? Or postgraduate certifiacate and then top it up? try b4 you buy

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

Glasgow, United Kingdom (UK) 43 Followers 23 Discussions
Coventry, United Kingdom (UK) 82 Followers 95 Discussions