Distance Learning MBA vs MBA

anthony82

Hello,

Does anybody know the difference between MBA and Distance Learning MBA concerning the diploma? What I mean is: in the diploma you get from the University at the end is it written that the MBA was Distance Learning or is it the same Diploma you get as if you had enrolled in the campus based MBA? I would appreciate any answer from people who have already completed their DL MBA and received their diploma or from any staff of Find MBA who knows about this. Specifically, I?m considering of Warwick and Durham Universities but I guess all the universities must have the same policy.

Thank you in Advance for your time and answers

Hello,

Does anybody know the difference between MBA and Distance Learning MBA concerning the diploma? What I mean is: in the diploma you get from the University at the end is it written that the MBA was Distance Learning or is it the same Diploma you get as if you had enrolled in the campus based MBA? I would appreciate any answer from people who have already completed their DL MBA and received their diploma or from any staff of Find MBA who knows about this. Specifically, I?m considering of Warwick and Durham Universities but I guess all the universities must have the same policy.

Thank you in Advance for your time and answers
Duncan

It's almost always the same.

It's almost always the same.
realist

Imperial writes on the diploma as "MBA (Distance)"

BigD

Do they really? From the time I first discovered that Imperial offered a distance MBA my feelings towards it have plummented. Ever new piece of information seems to be negative - which is a shame as it is a great brand.

BigD

Do they really? From the time I first discovered that Imperial offered a distance MBA my feelings towards it have plummented. Ever new piece of information seems to be negative - which is a shame as it is a great brand.

BigD

<blockquote>Imperial writes on the diploma as "MBA (Distance)"</blockquote>
realist

below

below
realist

Here is my questions to admission office ..
1. What are the accreditions of DL MBA programme such as AMBA, EQUIS, AACSB etc?
2. Would the degree certificate be explicitly marked as Distance Learning or DL MBA?
3. Are there any scholarships for DL MBA students?

And the official answers ..

Thank you for your enquiry regarding the Distance Learning MBA at Imperial College London.

To answer your questions:
1) The programme is accredited by AMBA and is recognised worldwide
2) The certificate states "MBA (by distance)" although this is irrelevant as employers would be able to tell this by looking at an applicant's C.V.
3) The programme is for advanced professionals who are either self or employer-funded. As a result there are no scholarships available.

Here is my questions to admission office ..
1. What are the accreditions of DL MBA programme such as AMBA, EQUIS, AACSB etc?
2. Would the degree certificate be explicitly marked as Distance Learning or DL MBA?
3. Are there any scholarships for DL MBA students?

And the official answers ..
<blockquote>
Thank you for your enquiry regarding the Distance Learning MBA at Imperial College London.

To answer your questions:
1) The programme is accredited by AMBA and is recognised worldwide
2) The certificate states "MBA (by distance)" although this is irrelevant as employers would be able to tell this by looking at an applicant's C.V.
3) The programme is for advanced professionals who are either self or employer-funded. As a result there are no scholarships available.

</blockquote>
Duncan

If it's so irrelevant, then why be the only top university that does that?

If it's so irrelevant, then why be the only top university that does that?
realist

I think Imperial is just cashing in on the brand name in a worst way by outsourcing the whole thing to Study Group company who does Leicester, Walles etc as well.

http://www.studygroup.com/higher-education/united-kingdom/imperial-college-london

Hence to differentiate the "real" Imperial MBA, they had to mark it.
Whereas Warwick, Durham, Strath, Henley, Aston runs " real" MBA in distance mode and they don't differentiate the diploma.

It is a shame on Imperial :-(

Lesson:
DL MBA aspirants.. Even though you are not planing to cheat your MBA as full time, ensure that the DL MBA is the "real" MBA delivered/run by the business school and the school is proud of running it and consider it as on par with other modes.

I think Imperial is just cashing in on the brand name in a worst way by outsourcing the whole thing to Study Group company who does Leicester, Walles etc as well.

http://www.studygroup.com/higher-education/united-kingdom/imperial-college-london

Whereas Warwick, Durham, Strath, Henley, Aston runs " real" MBA in distance mode and they don't differentiate the diploma.

Lesson:
DL MBA aspirants.. Even though you are not planing to cheat your MBA as full time, ensure that the DL MBA is the "real" MBA delivered/run by the business school and the school is proud of running it and consider it as on par with other modes.
realist

Warwick says...
"Your final certificate will simply state that you have achieved the Warwick MBA. It doesn't specify the study mode you choose."
http://www.wbs.ac.uk/students/mba/dl/

Durham says..
".. Durham MBA programme is the same regardless of the route chosen: all our MBA graduates achieve the same learning outcomes and the same qualification, whether studied full-time, part-time or via off-site blended learning - a Master of Business Administration degree from Durham University."
http://www.dur.ac.uk/dbs/glc/mba-dl/

I think this is the "acid test" question to ask a DL MBA provider if they consider their own DL MBA on par with their other modes?

Warwick says...
"Your final certificate will simply state that you have achieved the Warwick MBA. It doesn't specify the study mode you choose."
http://www.wbs.ac.uk/students/mba/dl/

Durham says..
".. Durham MBA programme is the same regardless of the route chosen: all our MBA graduates achieve the same learning outcomes and the same qualification, whether studied full-time, part-time or via off-site blended learning - a Master of Business Administration degree from Durham University."
http://www.dur.ac.uk/dbs/glc/mba-dl/

I think this is the "acid test" question to ask a DL MBA provider if they consider their own DL MBA on par with their other modes?
BigD

I agree with this, but I don't think asking them gives a true answer. I have been poring over these MBA providers websites for weeks now, and the real information is pretty thin.

I have learnt more about the comparitive merits of Durham vs MBS by reading the comments on this site than from any of the puff the universities produce.

Distance or Exec MBAs are bought by those with considerable experience and a more grounded view of what it costs and what they get (even though some seem deluded by expectations the impact it will have on their career)

Shame about Imperial.
BigD

Lesson:

I agree with this, but I don't think asking them gives a true answer. I have been poring over these MBA providers websites for weeks now, and the real information is pretty thin.

I have learnt more about the comparitive merits of Durham vs MBS by reading the comments on this site than from any of the puff the universities produce.

Distance or Exec MBAs are bought by those with considerable experience and a more grounded view of what it costs and what they get (even though some seem deluded by expectations the impact it will have on their career)

Shame about Imperial.
BigD

<blockquote>I think Imperial is just cashing in on the brand name in a worst way by outsourcing the whole thing to Study Group company who does Leicester, Walles etc as well.

Lesson:
DL MBA aspirants.. Even though you are not planing to cheat your MBA as full time, ensure that the DL MBA is the "real" MBA delivered/run by the business school and the school is proud of running it and consider it as on par with other modes.</blockquote>

It is almost the same, except that Imperial writes on the diploma as 'MBA (Distance)' .

It is almost the same, except that Imperial writes on the diploma as 'MBA (Distance)' .
anthony82

Thanks for all the comments... I'm glad that I'm not the only one who is concerned about what the degree states and i'm sure many will find this topic and the opinions very useful.

Indeed, it's truly a shame on Imperial to distinguish its MBA programmes. They don't respect either their DL students or their hard-earned money. If it's not important why is it written or the degree certificate? Even if i could afford the money, I wouldn't even apply...

Antonis

Thanks for all the comments... I'm glad that I'm not the only one who is concerned about what the degree states and i'm sure many will find this topic and the opinions very useful.

Indeed, it's truly a shame on Imperial to distinguish its MBA programmes. They don't respect either their DL students or their hard-earned money. If it's not important why is it written or the degree certificate? Even if i could afford the money, I wouldn't even apply...

Antonis
ezra

Warwick says...

Durham says..
".. Durham MBA programme is the same regardless of the route chosen

Thanks for finding this information. Indeed, like BigD says, it's sort of strange these facts prove so hard to come by. Truth be told, I'm a bit skeptical of the schools awarding the same degree for what are in reality two different types of programs. I'm not saying that online programs are innately poor, it's just that they provide an entirely different learning experience. It's sort of sketchy for the schools to lump them into the same bucket as in-class programs, and I'd wonder if once employers start asking questions to grads that the value of the degrees will decrease accordingly.

<blockquote>Warwick says...

Durham says..
".. Durham MBA programme is the same regardless of the route chosen</blockquote>
Thanks for finding this information. Indeed, like BigD says, it's sort of strange these facts prove so hard to come by. Truth be told, I'm a bit skeptical of the schools awarding the same degree for what are in reality two different types of programs. I'm not saying that online programs are innately poor, it's just that they provide an entirely different learning experience. It's sort of sketchy for the schools to lump them into the same bucket as in-class programs, and I'd wonder if once employers start asking questions to grads that the value of the degrees will decrease accordingly.
realist

Durham and Warwick seem to allow the students to switch modes and mix-n-match DL and on-site modules. Allowing DL students to take on-site moudles with FT/Exec classes. Allowing DL students to take part/ join International trips/assignments with other mode students. These are clear indication that DL programme is treated on par.

But the DL money makers keep the DL student clear of the FT/Exec classes and corner them in a Imperial week kinda camp fire and send them off.

Durham and Warwick seem to allow the students to switch modes and mix-n-match DL and on-site modules. Allowing DL students to take on-site moudles with FT/Exec classes. Allowing DL students to take part/ join International trips/assignments with other mode students. These are clear indication that DL programme is treated on par.

But the DL money makers keep the DL student clear of the FT/Exec classes and corner them in a Imperial week kinda camp fire and send them off.
Duncan

I wonder if the Manchester and Durham diplomas say MBA or Global MBA?

I wonder if the Manchester and Durham diplomas say MBA or Global MBA?
BigD

This is a key requirement for me. I've noted that many people considering MBAs - especially those with experience and later in their career - are unable to commit to large periods of attendance. The optional nature of these seminars/modules means that it is possible to enjoy a pseudo-cohort and enjoy some networking opportunities without getting stressed out.

I have just been talking to someone on a top tier EMBA that was told missing a module is not acceptable for work reasons and would result in you having to delay graduation for a year while you took the module the following year.

For me the key advantage of a "flexible-EMBA" or a "Distance-Learning MBA with optional attendance" is that flexibility.

As one gets older and more experienced: the responsibilities, domestic commitments and lost salary increase and so attendance on modules must be selective for maximum ROI.

My ideal would be a flexible EMBA, clearly aimed at managers aged 35+ where maybe 50% of the modules must be attended. The cost of such a course (as long as it represents good value re the university) is not the most significant factor, so I am not proposing a cut-price option. If it is planned well then benefits from being part of a cohort may accrue.

BigD

This is a key requirement for me. I've noted that many people considering MBAs - especially those with experience and later in their career - are unable to commit to large periods of attendance. The optional nature of these seminars/modules means that it is possible to enjoy a pseudo-cohort and enjoy some networking opportunities without getting stressed out.

I have just been talking to someone on a top tier EMBA that was told missing a module is not acceptable for work reasons and would result in you having to delay graduation for a year while you took the module the following year.

For me the key advantage of a "flexible-EMBA" or a "Distance-Learning MBA with optional attendance" is that flexibility.

As one gets older and more experienced: the responsibilities, domestic commitments and lost salary increase and so attendance on modules must be selective for maximum ROI.

My ideal would be a flexible EMBA, clearly aimed at managers aged 35+ where maybe 50% of the modules must be attended. The cost of such a course (as long as it represents good value re the university) is not the most significant factor, so I am not proposing a cut-price option. If it is planned well then benefits from being part of a cohort may accrue.

BigD

<blockquote>Durham and Warwick seem to allow the students to switch modes and mix-n-match DL and on-site modules. Allowing DL students to take on-site moudles with FT/Exec classes. Allowing DL students to take part/ join International trips/assignments with other mode students. These are clear indication that DL programme is treated on par.
</blockquote>
Sparks

I think Ashridge has just started offering something like BigD's ideal EMBA ...

My ideal would be a flexible EMBA, clearly aimed at managers aged 35+ where maybe 50% of the modules must be attended.

See: www.find-mba.com/board/25152

I think Ashridge has just started offering something like BigD's ideal EMBA ...

<blockquote>
My ideal would be a flexible EMBA, clearly aimed at managers aged 35+ where maybe 50% of the modules must be attended.</blockquote>

See: www.find-mba.com/board/25152
Duncan

Well, the new Ashridge EMBA does blend online and offline modules, and students can take none, one or two modules a semester. But all the residential modules have to be done eventually.

Well, the new Ashridge EMBA does blend online and offline modules, and students can take none, one or two modules a semester. But all the residential modules have to be done eventually.

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

Coventry, United Kingdom (UK) 82 Followers 95 Discussions
London, United Kingdom (UK) 92 Followers 23 Discussions
Durham (United Kingdom), United Kingdom (UK) 58 Followers 86 Discussions