Which Univ in NZ for PGDip?

priyac

Hey,

I'm seeking some clarity regarding the universities in NZ for a PG Dip in Business. I have read that the Auckland Univ is the best in NZ in almost all forums across the net, but it seems that their program stretches for about 2 or 3 years. In that case, it may not be suitable for me, as I am looking at a 1 year program. Apart from that, the Otago Business School seems to be a much regarded place as well. My question here is:

1. The Otago school is in Dunedin. How is the place when it comes to job opportunities (which includes part time as well).
P.S - I do not want responses saying the job market is bad overall in NZ and all that. I have seen that enough already and I am just seeking clarity in terms of the University here. Even assuming the job market is bad, if I were to still get a job, would the employers give me more weightage based on which University I qualified from In NZ?

2. The quality of students - Most MBA programs ask for experience in NZ, but for PGDip they dont. In that case, if I were to apply to any of these Universities for PGDip, I need to make sure that the quality of students are on par with me (as I have 4 years of experience as well)

3. I am open to other suggestions such as Waikato, AUT, Canterbury, Victoria etc. I can check their accreditation on their websites, but I will not know their practical standards in terms of their placement services.

4. Waikato seems to offer an internship of sorts in their 1 year or 15 month MBM program. I know its a very good option to go for a course which offers an internship as it is going to make your CV look good apart from making you industry-ready. I need to do more research on that to find out about the duration and nature of their internship.

5. Auckland seems to be the abode of job opportunities as it is the biggest city in NZ. Am i right in saying that? Somebody told me so. Hence if I were to consider only Auckland as the place of study (as it will be helpful for part time job seeking as well as for attending interviews in the final term), I am left with just University of Auckland and AUT and I guess Massey too. Also, how good is Massey Univ comparing it with others in terms of curriculum or placement services. I have been told by someone from NZ that in an interview a Massey PG grad gets more preference over an AUT PG grad, provided they both have the same calibre. Is it so?

6. I am looking at the next immediate intake (sep/oct/nov) 2014 (july 2014 seems less possible as I am still to give my IELTS and arrange for the finance). Most Universities have a July/Feb intake. Based on suggestions and advise regarding the University, I have to see if I can get in this year of wait for next Feb (which I am not so keen on, but will do so, in case joining in Sep/Oct 2014 means compromising on the best path for me)

I'm sorry for making you read this heavy post, but then these are the questions I have not been able to find answers to. The consultants I am in talk with, say all Universities are the same, and I should go for the Sep intake. The job market is same for all University grads. A friend in NZ thinks otherwise. So I wanted responses from a broader forum. Even suggestion relating to 1 of the above questions will be of much help. Thanks in advance!

Note: I'm from India :)

Hey,

I'm seeking some clarity regarding the universities in NZ for a PG Dip in Business. I have read that the Auckland Univ is the best in NZ in almost all forums across the net, but it seems that their program stretches for about 2 or 3 years. In that case, it may not be suitable for me, as I am looking at a 1 year program. Apart from that, the Otago Business School seems to be a much regarded place as well. My question here is:

1. The Otago school is in Dunedin. How is the place when it comes to job opportunities (which includes part time as well).
P.S - I do not want responses saying the job market is bad overall in NZ and all that. I have seen that enough already and I am just seeking clarity in terms of the University here. Even assuming the job market is bad, if I were to still get a job, would the employers give me more weightage based on which University I qualified from In NZ?

2. The quality of students - Most MBA programs ask for experience in NZ, but for PGDip they dont. In that case, if I were to apply to any of these Universities for PGDip, I need to make sure that the quality of students are on par with me (as I have 4 years of experience as well)

3. I am open to other suggestions such as Waikato, AUT, Canterbury, Victoria etc. I can check their accreditation on their websites, but I will not know their practical standards in terms of their placement services.

4. Waikato seems to offer an internship of sorts in their 1 year or 15 month MBM program. I know its a very good option to go for a course which offers an internship as it is going to make your CV look good apart from making you industry-ready. I need to do more research on that to find out about the duration and nature of their internship.

5. Auckland seems to be the abode of job opportunities as it is the biggest city in NZ. Am i right in saying that? Somebody told me so. Hence if I were to consider only Auckland as the place of study (as it will be helpful for part time job seeking as well as for attending interviews in the final term), I am left with just University of Auckland and AUT and I guess Massey too. Also, how good is Massey Univ comparing it with others in terms of curriculum or placement services. I have been told by someone from NZ that in an interview a Massey PG grad gets more preference over an AUT PG grad, provided they both have the same calibre. Is it so?

6. I am looking at the next immediate intake (sep/oct/nov) 2014 (july 2014 seems less possible as I am still to give my IELTS and arrange for the finance). Most Universities have a July/Feb intake. Based on suggestions and advise regarding the University, I have to see if I can get in this year of wait for next Feb (which I am not so keen on, but will do so, in case joining in Sep/Oct 2014 means compromising on the best path for me)

I'm sorry for making you read this heavy post, but then these are the questions I have not been able to find answers to. The consultants I am in talk with, say all Universities are the same, and I should go for the Sep intake. The job market is same for all University grads. A friend in NZ thinks otherwise. So I wanted responses from a broader forum. Even suggestion relating to 1 of the above questions will be of much help. Thanks in advance!

Note: I'm from India :)
Duncan

I don't know the NZ PGDM market well but... here are some very generic answers to your questions.
1. Of course, employers will prefer students from the local schools they respect the most.
2. It will not be the case that a pre-experience programme will have a cohort similar to your profile.
3. Ask schools about their careers services and placement records. You might need to make appointments to speak wit them on the phone or on Skype, because they are jittery about publishing data.
4. That's not a question.
5. Yes, Auckand seems to be best: http://www.eduniversal-ranking.com/business-school-university-ranking-in-new-zealand.html Massey seems to be a much more highly regarded university, but AUT seems to have a better business school. Look for more data.
6. You will have seen that the academic year starts in February. You'll have a better experience is you follow that cycle. At Auckland, for example, the course is designed to end with strategy in the fourth quarter: http://www.gsm.auckland.ac.nz/mba-pathways/postgraduate-diploma-in-business/administration
It's obviously not the case that the job market is the same for all graduates. Your consultants perhaps get the same commission from any university, so they are neutral? Get into the best school you can,

I don't know the NZ PGDM market well but... here are some very generic answers to your questions.
1. Of course, employers will prefer students from the local schools they respect the most.
2. It will not be the case that a pre-experience programme will have a cohort similar to your profile.
3. Ask schools about their careers services and placement records. You might need to make appointments to speak wit them on the phone or on Skype, because they are jittery about publishing data.
4. That's not a question.
5. Yes, Auckand seems to be best: http://www.eduniversal-ranking.com/business-school-university-ranking-in-new-zealand.html Massey seems to be a much more highly regarded university, but AUT seems to have a better business school. Look for more data.
6. You will have seen that the academic year starts in February. You'll have a better experience is you follow that cycle. At Auckland, for example, the course is designed to end with strategy in the fourth quarter: http://www.gsm.auckland.ac.nz/mba-pathways/postgraduate-diploma-in-business/administration
It's obviously not the case that the job market is the same for all graduates. Your consultants perhaps get the same commission from any university, so they are neutral? Get into the best school you can,
priyac

@Duncan - Thanks for those answers even though you could not give specific details.

NZ Schools announce more than 1 intake every year. In Auckland, it seems to be Feb/July mostly. Are you saying that getting in during July means you will be starting from the middle of the course?? If that is the case, its pointless to have more than 1 intake.

About Waikato, it may not have been a question, but I was certainly looking for some comments on it, quite obviously!

@Duncan - Thanks for those answers even though you could not give specific details.

NZ Schools announce more than 1 intake every year. In Auckland, it seems to be Feb/July mostly. Are you saying that getting in during July means you will be starting from the middle of the course?? If that is the case, its pointless to have more than 1 intake.

About Waikato, it may not have been a question, but I was certainly looking for some comments on it, quite obviously!
Duncan

No, in Auckland you'd just start with the second semester; then do the first; then the fourth; then the third. So, not in the perfect order.

No, in Auckland you'd just start with the second semester; then do the first; then the fourth; then the third. So, not in the perfect order.
mba-alum

Hi Priyac, you might be spot-on mentioning Otago. Contact them for more information. Their PGDipBusAdmin is a subset of their MBA program. Many of those other universities you mentioned run part-time or evening class MBA program, targeting local students. If the PG is part of it, then the lecture hours might be very odd for you as an international student. Then, there is the student visa to think about - there is a minimum hours of lecture to qualify for application.

Hi Priyac, you might be spot-on mentioning Otago. Contact them for more information. Their PGDipBusAdmin is a subset of their MBA program. Many of those other universities you mentioned run part-time or evening class MBA program, targeting local students. If the PG is part of it, then the lecture hours might be very odd for you as an international student. Then, there is the student visa to think about - there is a minimum hours of lecture to qualify for application.
priyac

I disagree! Massey and AUT offer a full time PGDip course as well!

<blockquote>Hi Priyac, you might be spot-on mentioning Otago. Contact them for more information. Their PGDipBusAdmin is a subset of their MBA program. Many of those other universities you mentioned run part-time or evening class MBA program, targeting local students. If the PG is part of it, then the lecture hours might be very odd for you as an international student. Then, there is the student visa to think about - there is a minimum hours of lecture to qualify for application.</blockquote>

I disagree! Massey and AUT offer a full time PGDip course as well!
mba-alum

Oh, good for you then. You have more choices.

Oh, good for you then. You have more choices.
mba-alum

Massey's MBA is conducted over the weekend - see http://www.massey.ac.nz/massey/learning/programme-course-paper/programme.cfm?prog_id=92731

Remember to check their PGDipBA timetable for the schedule of their lectures - sometime, it is in the evening even if it is stated as full-time. Often find this rather misleading and confusing.

Massey's MBA is conducted over the weekend - see http://www.massey.ac.nz/massey/learning/programme-course-paper/programme.cfm?prog_id=92731

Remember to check their PGDipBA timetable for the schedule of their lectures - sometime, it is in the evening even if it is stated as full-time. Often find this rather misleading and confusing.
siva99x

Hi Priyac,

I am in the same position as you were then.... Please let me know which university you had joined for PGDip? I am planning for the the intake of sept 2015

Sivaprasad

Hi Priyac,

I am in the same position as you were then.... Please let me know which university you had joined for PGDip? I am planning for the the intake of sept 2015

Sivaprasad
mba-alum

I know of many Otago MBA graduates who have found jobs in Auckland. So I don't believe you have to study an MBA in Auckland to get jobs there. And the PGDip in Bus Admin is part of their MBA course. You have the option to proceed on to an MBA degree if you meet their minimum average grades of a B+. Would be interesting to know both of Priyac's and Sivaprasad's eventual choices, if you care to share.

[Edited by mba-alum on Mar 10, 2015]

I know of many Otago MBA graduates who have found jobs in Auckland. So I don't believe you have to study an MBA in Auckland to get jobs there. And the PGDip in Bus Admin is part of their MBA course. You have the option to proceed on to an MBA degree if you meet their minimum average grades of a B+. Would be interesting to know both of Priyac's and Sivaprasad's eventual choices, if you care to share.

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

Auckland, New Zealand 25 Followers 22 Discussions
Christchurch, New Zealand 13 Followers 10 Discussions
Dunedin, New Zealand 42 Followers 34 Discussions
Wellington, New Zealand 17 Followers 6 Discussions
Auckland, New Zealand 21 Followers 18 Discussions
Hamilton, New Zealand 3 Followers 5 Discussions

Other Related Content

MBAs in New Zealand: Native English, Internationally Recognized Education & Jobs Aplenty

Article Apr 19, 2017

New Zealand offers MBA students a world-class education combined with exciting extra-curricular activities and cultural diversity to boot.

Hot Discussions