MSGM vs UQ? Which MBA would be better?

GoldenEye

Hi guys,

I am from Australia and am weighing my options between an MSGM (sydney) & UQBS (brisbane) for a full time one year MBA. I am not interested in taking the GMAT so AGSM & MBS are out of consideration. So out of MSGM and UQ which one do you guys think is better as an MBA program? I know that both of them have good rankings in the economist. MGSM has also managed to get ranked in FT in 2010.

Apart from the rankings I know that MGSM has a long standing reputation of being one of the best MBA schools in Australia, plus it is also located in the commercial capital ? sydney. But what has caught my eye about UQ is that in their accelerated program (with only one intake per year) they have a Wharton Consulting Practicum opportunity. It sounds to be a promising program.

I am also assuming that in brisbane the best of MBA students would be trying first for UQ, however in sydney they most likely would be keeping MGSM as a second preference after AGSM (ofcourse, for the GMAT takers). Saying this I would like to be amongst high calibre peers.

I read in another forum that a lot of MGSM grads end up in tech and bio/pharma firms, while UQ career placements focus more in management consulting.

Generally whenever I have tried to get suggestions from people about these 2 MBA programs, MGSM seems to be the more popular and reputed option.

Can someone please help me by advising which of the two would be more worthwhile? Also any suggestions, insights or even small inputs would be really welcome. Thanks for your time in advance.

Hi guys,

I am from Australia and am weighing my options between an MSGM (sydney) & UQBS (brisbane) for a full time one year MBA. I am not interested in taking the GMAT so AGSM & MBS are out of consideration. So out of MSGM and UQ which one do you guys think is better as an MBA program? I know that both of them have good rankings in the economist. MGSM has also managed to get ranked in FT in 2010.

Apart from the rankings I know that MGSM has a long standing reputation of being one of the best MBA schools in Australia, plus it is also located in the commercial capital ? sydney. But what has caught my eye about UQ is that in their accelerated program (with only one intake per year) they have a Wharton Consulting Practicum opportunity. It sounds to be a promising program.

I am also assuming that in brisbane the best of MBA students would be trying first for UQ, however in sydney they most likely would be keeping MGSM as a second preference after AGSM (ofcourse, for the GMAT takers). Saying this I would like to be amongst high calibre peers.

I read in another forum that a lot of MGSM grads end up in tech and bio/pharma firms, while UQ career placements focus more in management consulting.

Generally whenever I have tried to get suggestions from people about these 2 MBA programs, MGSM seems to be the more popular and reputed option.

Can someone please help me by advising which of the two would be more worthwhile? Also any suggestions, insights or even small inputs would be really welcome. Thanks for your time in advance.
Duncan

You sound like you have made up your mind for UQ, and perhaps for some reason other than the consulting project since MGSM also includes a major project in the internship.

What are your career goals? Why not take the GMAT to have the better options?

You sound like you have made up your mind for UQ, and perhaps for some reason other than the consulting project since MGSM also includes a major project in the internship.

What are your career goals? Why not take the GMAT to have the better options?
Inactive User

I know that both of them have good rankings in the economist. MGSM has also managed to get ranked in FT in 2010.

I guess it was ranked *literally*, but honestly, I really wouldn't use this as a selection criteria - it slipped in at the very bottom of the list and then fell back off.

That said, it's still the better school, unless, perhaps, you were specifically looking for work in Queensland.

However, for a wider network and more lasting value, neither school holds up to AGSM and Melbourne.

<blockquote>I know that both of them have good rankings in the economist. MGSM has also managed to get ranked in FT in 2010.</blockquote>
I guess it was ranked *literally*, but honestly, I really wouldn't use this as a selection criteria - it slipped in at the very bottom of the list and then fell back off.

That said, it's still the better school, unless, perhaps, you were specifically looking for work in Queensland.

However, for a wider network and more lasting value, neither school holds up to AGSM and Melbourne.
GoldenEye

Thanks for your inputs guys.

@ JK Duncan & @ Mba hipster

I have not really made up my mind about UQ. Actually I am weighing them sort of equally since I am from adelaide and not from sydney or brisbane, so will be looking to move to and work where my MBA program/network is. So, more than the cities my concern is the overall quality of the MBA program, and the opportunity of networking. I also would like for it to have an international recognition as I do plan to work overseas later on in my career. In terms of career goals, I have a few years marketing experience and am looking to change my industry and seek opportunities in consulting or mining.

GMAT sounds like a bit too much for me at this stage of my career. So in the case that AGSM and MBS are not my options, then which would be the next best biz school? I am also considering quite a few other factors like excellent career services support, and possibly exchange opportunities/ intl study tours.

Thanks for your inputs guys.

@ JK Duncan & @ Mba hipster

I have not really made up my mind about UQ. Actually I am weighing them sort of equally since I am from adelaide and not from sydney or brisbane, so will be looking to move to and work where my MBA program/network is. So, more than the cities my concern is the overall quality of the MBA program, and the opportunity of networking. I also would like for it to have an international recognition as I do plan to work overseas later on in my career. In terms of career goals, I have a few years marketing experience and am looking to change my industry and seek opportunities in consulting or mining.

GMAT sounds like a bit too much for me at this stage of my career. So in the case that AGSM and MBS are not my options, then which would be the next best biz school? I am also considering quite a few other factors like excellent career services support, and possibly exchange opportunities/ intl study tours.
Duncan

I'm confused. How can you have two years for an MBA but not have the time to take a single exam which can get you into an MBA that is twice as good?

I'm confused. How can you have two years for an MBA but not have the time to take a single exam which can get you into an MBA that is twice as good?

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

Sydney, Australia 28 Followers 36 Discussions
Brisbane, Australia 9 Followers 21 Discussions

Hot Discussions