MBA Programs in New Zealand 2013

Hi all,

I've been reading this board with great interest.

There is not much recent discussion on MBAs in New Zealand. What's the current thinking on how these programs stack up for their full-time MBA programs?

Otago
Auckland University of Technology (AUT)
University of Canterbury

Otago seems to be the go-to school, since there aren't really that many accredited full-time MBA programs in New Zealand. But are their any benefits to the other two programs - and have they gotten better in the past few years? Lastly - are there other MBA programs that I should look at?

About me: My family is from New Zealand but I've been working in the US, in an operations position for a solar panel manufacturer. I'd like to return to New Zealand, hence why I'm looking for an MBA program there.

Hi all,

I've been reading this board with great interest.

There is not much recent discussion on MBAs in New Zealand. What's the current thinking on how these programs stack up for their full-time MBA programs?

Otago
Auckland University of Technology (AUT)
University of Canterbury

Otago seems to be the go-to school, since there aren't really that many accredited full-time MBA programs in New Zealand. But are their any benefits to the other two programs - and have they gotten better in the past few years? Lastly - are there other MBA programs that I should look at?

About me: My family is from New Zealand but I've been working in the US, in an operations position for a solar panel manufacturer. I'd like to return to New Zealand, hence why I'm looking for an MBA program there.
Duncan

If you want to build your network, then also consider the part-time MBAs at the University of Auckland. You could start your job hunt straight away, and do consulting projects and interim management roles while looking. The cohort there will be much more powerful.

If you want to build your network, then also consider the part-time MBAs at the University of Auckland. You could start your job hunt straight away, and do consulting projects and interim management roles while looking. The cohort there will be much more powerful.
Inactive User

I think the choice is really between Otago and AUT (unless you have connections or a reason to be in Canterbury/Christchurch.)

If you want to stay in the solar industry, you might want to look closely at AUT - it has a sustainability concentration, and there's a lot of research on related subjects coming out of the school.

I think the choice is really between Otago and AUT (unless you have connections or a reason to be in Canterbury/Christchurch.)

If you want to stay in the solar industry, you might want to look closely at AUT - it has a sustainability concentration, and there's a lot of research on related subjects coming out of the school.

I hadn't considered a part-time program - and I looked at the University of Auckland and it looks interesting. I also saw that Otago offers a part-time MBA. Which one is better?

But I was also reading elsewhere that part-time programs are usually for people who already have jobs they want to stay in, and don't demand a lot of career support after graduation.

I hadn't considered a part-time program - and I looked at the University of Auckland and it looks interesting. I also saw that Otago offers a part-time MBA. Which one is better?

But I was also reading elsewhere that part-time programs are usually for people who already have jobs they want to stay in, and don't demand a lot of career support after graduation.
otago-mba

Maybe I can step in and provide some additional information on the Otago MBA.

The full time Otago MBA is a two phase intensive program. Phase One comprises 9 months of on-campus study. This is followed by a highly flexible Phase Two of on-campus electives, international exchange or distance learning through online media. Phase Two can range between 6 to 12 months depending on how hard and fast you can or want to work. Otago runs the only truly full time MBA program in New Zealand. GMAT score is required. You can find out more about us at www.otago.ac.nz/mbaotago.

The part-time MBA admission is slightly different. Students may be awarded a diploma if they wish to stop after 8 papers. If they wish to go on to an MBA degree, then they must achieve an average grade of B+ or better on designated papers, or sit for the GMAT. Time it takes to complete a part-time MBA is expected to be longer.

The Otago MBA set out to prepare our students to be career ready professisonals. In addition to a rigorous academic syllabus, it also include career development guidance, practical experience and networking activities. We claim to be the leading MBA program in NZ for good reasons - the longest established, the truly full time MBA option, a very comprehensive program, and favourably ranked many times.

Hope this information helps. Why not register your interest to start your discussion with us at: www.otago.ac.nz/mbaotago/otago_mba_apply_now.php

Cheers, Hester

Maybe I can step in and provide some additional information on the Otago MBA.

The full time Otago MBA is a two phase intensive program. Phase One comprises 9 months of on-campus study. This is followed by a highly flexible Phase Two of on-campus electives, international exchange or distance learning through online media. Phase Two can range between 6 to 12 months depending on how hard and fast you can or want to work. Otago runs the only truly full time MBA program in New Zealand. GMAT score is required. You can find out more about us at www.otago.ac.nz/mbaotago.

The part-time MBA admission is slightly different. Students may be awarded a diploma if they wish to stop after 8 papers. If they wish to go on to an MBA degree, then they must achieve an average grade of B+ or better on designated papers, or sit for the GMAT. Time it takes to complete a part-time MBA is expected to be longer.

The Otago MBA set out to prepare our students to be career ready professisonals. In addition to a rigorous academic syllabus, it also include career development guidance, practical experience and networking activities. We claim to be the leading MBA program in NZ for good reasons - the longest established, the truly full time MBA option, a very comprehensive program, and favourably ranked many times.

Hope this information helps. Why not register your interest to start your discussion with us at: www.otago.ac.nz/mbaotago/otago_mba_apply_now.php

Cheers, Hester

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

Christchurch, New Zealand 13 Followers 10 Discussions
Dunedin, New Zealand 42 Followers 34 Discussions
Auckland, New Zealand 21 Followers 18 Discussions

Other Related Content

MBAs in New Zealand: Native English, Internationally Recognized Education & Jobs Aplenty

Article Apr 19, 2017

New Zealand offers MBA students a world-class education combined with exciting extra-curricular activities and cultural diversity to boot.

Hot Discussions