Is Australia a Good Place for an MBA?

Malik_IB

Hello forum. My name is Malik and I am from Pakistan.

I have been reading this forum with great interest, because I am thinking of doing an MBA in Australia. The schools I would like to apply to include AGSM and Melbourne Business School.

But I am wondering about the current job prospects after graduation. Would I be able to find work here? If so, which would be better, Melbourne or Sydney?

Hello forum. My name is Malik and I am from Pakistan.

I have been reading this forum with great interest, because I am thinking of doing an MBA in Australia. The schools I would like to apply to include AGSM and Melbourne Business School.

But I am wondering about the current job prospects after graduation. Would I be able to find work here? If so, which would be better, Melbourne or Sydney?
Duncan

That depends on the sort of work you want to do. Visit http://www.find-mba.com/board/33571

That depends on the sort of work you want to do. Visit http://www.find-mba.com/board/33571
ralph

Yes, what industry are you in?

The two schools you mentioned are generally considered to have the best MBA programs in the country, at least according to the FT rankings.

They're both reasonably good at providing an entry into jobs in the country for international students. Something like 80% of AGSM grads stay in the country after graduation - which is fairly good for a school whose cohorts usually have a majority of international students.

Yes, what industry are you in?

The two schools you mentioned are generally considered to have the best MBA programs in the country, at least according to the FT rankings.

They're both reasonably good at providing an entry into jobs in the country for international students. Something like 80% of AGSM grads stay in the country after graduation - which is fairly good for a school whose cohorts usually have a majority of international students.
Malik_IB

Thanks for the input. I've been working in supply chain but want to focus on investment banking in business school.

I tried the LinkedIn research method. It seems like there were more people from AGSM in investment banking than from Melbourne. I think I'll focus on AGSM primarily.

Thanks again!

Thanks for the input. I've been working in supply chain but want to focus on investment banking in business school.

I tried the LinkedIn research method. It seems like there were more people from AGSM in investment banking than from Melbourne. I think I'll focus on AGSM primarily.

Thanks again!
BigD

If you require a student visa, be aware that you are required to undertake a full-time course to be eligible.

Undertaking a taught Masters in this way now qualifies you for up to two years post graduate residency under the "Knight Review" of Higher Education.

However many overseas students are finding it very difficult to find work after graduation. If your intention is to continue working in Australia post this course, then consider very carefully your prospects. If you are not, then I would question the value of an Australian MBA over others.

The Australian courses are expensive, and this is not helped by the strong AUD.

BigD

If you require a student visa, be aware that you are required to undertake a full-time course to be eligible.

Undertaking a taught Masters in this way now qualifies you for up to two years post graduate residency under the "Knight Review" of Higher Education.

However many overseas students are finding it very difficult to find work after graduation. If your intention is to continue working in Australia post this course, then consider very carefully your prospects. If you are not, then I would question the value of an Australian MBA over others.

The Australian courses are expensive, and this is not helped by the strong AUD.

BigD
ezra

Sydney is the safer bet. The Australian headquarters for the main international investment firms (HSBC, Deutsche Bank, JP Morgan, etc.) are in Sydney; and domestic firms like Macquarie and CommSec are based there as well.

However, AGSM isn't particularly known for its investment banking placements - rather, many students go into consulting or IT roles after graduation.

Sydney is the safer bet. The Australian headquarters for the main international investment firms (HSBC, Deutsche Bank, JP Morgan, etc.) are in Sydney; and domestic firms like Macquarie and CommSec are based there as well.

However, AGSM isn't particularly known for its investment banking placements - rather, many students go into consulting or IT roles after graduation.

Hey Malik did you end up applying to these Australian MBAs? I am in the same position as you, I'm from Pakistan but want to go to Australia for my MBA and then work. I've heard that it's a good place to find jobs.

Hey Malik did you end up applying to these Australian MBAs? I am in the same position as you, I'm from Pakistan but want to go to Australia for my MBA and then work. I've heard that it's a good place to find jobs.
Malik_IB

Hi Akram. I am waiting until next year to apply. I only have 5 years of work experience and would like to get another year before applying. Good luck!

Hi Akram. I am waiting until next year to apply. I only have 5 years of work experience and would like to get another year before applying. Good luck!
Inactive User

Hi, An Australian MBA taken full-time, part-time or online could be the most significant step you will take in the development of your career along with making a major contribution to your personal growth. Try it and gives a shape to your career.

Hi, An Australian MBA taken full-time, part-time or online could be the most significant step you will take in the development of your career along with making a major contribution to your personal growth. Try it and gives a shape to your career.

Watsonjm, you literally just copied and pasted that from another website. How does that add anything to the discussion? I don't even think there are any accredited online business schools in Australia that offer online MBA programs.

Watsonjm, you literally just copied and pasted that from another website. How does that add anything to the discussion? I don't even think there are any accredited online business schools in Australia that offer online MBA programs.

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

Carlton, Australia 54 Followers 96 Discussions

Other Related Content

MBA School Choice: AGSM Vs. Melbourne Business School

Article Sep 17, 2018

Australia has become an enticing option for MBAs in recent years. So which of the country’s best business schools should you go for?

Top 10 MBA Programs in Australia

Top List

Thinking about an MBA in Australia? See the Top 10 MBA programs in Australia here.

Hot Discussions