South Korea SKK GSB// MBA Dual Degree Programs: Kelley and MIT

Truenorth

http://gsb.skku.edu/2008_home/main/main.htm

I am a student at SKK GSB, enrolled in their DDP with Kelley School of Business.
After 8 months and an internship this summer of Standard Chartered Korea setup by our career development people, I'm off to Indiana for the second leg of the program.

We also have a collaboration with MIT Sloan, whereby you can obtain a Msc. Management Studies (concentration specific; i.e. IT Management). The MIT Sloan DDP is new this year and a pilot program, but it is intended to stay.

Some facts:

The curriculum is 100 % English
- Brand new modern building built by Samsung that opened this year
- Case study method used for most classes
- Founding and current Head Dean is from the US, First foreign Director of Korean stock exchange
- Large contingent of FT foreign faculty and visiting faculty who graduated from and have taught at good schools: Kelley(Indiana), Kellogg(Northwestern), Sloan(MIT), Schulich(York), Ross(Michigan), etc.
- Korean professors: Full command of English, no lectern-leaning lectures.
- Classmates:
About 35 % foreign ? Egypt, Latvia, Iran, Canada, Russia, Vietnam, China, Nigeria, Kenya, Romania
 Korean students ? generally older than int?l; many Samsung (various divisions), a few Posco, Woori, KDB, Google Korea, etc.

- Received AACSB Accreditation
- Scholarships @25-50%; Free ride is company sponsored only
- Lots of competition to get into the school
- Good field trips: Samsung Electronics, Diamond Ogilvy, Cheil WorldWide, CJ Group, Hite Beer, Kyobo Life, Temple Stay, Int'l trip, and others

Cost:- SKK GSB tuition = 12,000,000 x 2 ? scholarship;
I had 50 %, so it was 12,000,000원
- Kelley 2nd year tuition = 39,000 USD plus living expenses
Attending school in the US for 1 year vs. 2, you can determine the savings at various F/X rates.

Here is a video from an information session ? I only have video for a Korean one.
http://www2.pullbbang.com/video.pull?vcode=l2003618

I am a student at SKK GSB, enrolled in their DDP with Kelley School of Business.
After 8 months and an internship this summer of Standard Chartered Korea setup by our career development people, I'm off to Indiana for the second leg of the program.

We also have a collaboration with MIT Sloan, whereby you can obtain a Msc. Management Studies (concentration specific; i.e. IT Management). The MIT Sloan DDP is new this year and a pilot program, but it is intended to stay.

Some facts:

- Founding and current Head Dean is from the US, First foreign Director of Korean stock exchange
- Large contingent of FT foreign faculty and visiting faculty who graduated from and have taught at good schools: Kelley(Indiana), Kellogg(Northwestern), Sloan(MIT), Schulich(York), Ross(Michigan), etc.
- Classmates:
About 35 % foreign ? Egypt, Latvia, Iran, Canada, Russia, Vietnam, China, Nigeria, Kenya, Romania
 Korean students ? generally older than int?l; many Samsung (various divisions), a few Posco, Woori, KDB, Google Korea, etc.

- Good field trips: Samsung Electronics, Diamond Ogilvy, Cheil WorldWide, CJ Group, Hite Beer, Kyobo Life, Temple Stay, Int'l trip, and others

Attending school in the US for 1 year vs. 2, you can determine the savings at various F/X rates.

Here is a video from an information session ? I only have video for a Korean one.

Good to read so many great things about this school, but as far as I know, it is very easy to get addmission here, perticularly for international students. SKK is not considered a good university in Korea. KAIST Business, SNU business school, younsei and Korea university business school are far more better than this business school in terms of competitiveness.

Good to read so many great things about this school, but as far as I know, it is very easy to get addmission here, perticularly for international students. SKK is not considered a good university in Korea. KAIST Business, SNU business school, younsei and Korea university business school are far more better than this business school in terms of competitiveness.
Truenorth

Thanks for reading my post.

Other Korean schools can not get nearly as many full-time international students as SKK GSB does. The only foreign students that attend your aforementioned schools are exchange students which are only present for 1 semester. SKK GSB is considered a great school; Korean's newspapers including the Economic Daily (equiv of WSJ in Korea) rated the global MBA as no.1.
In the area of competitiveness, many applicants are rejected from our school because of the synergy and sensibility of SKK GSB's Dual Degree Programs with Kelley (BW 15th) and Sloan MIT (BW 7th). People want these options for furthering their careers. As a result, all of our grads have higher starting salaries.
KAIST is good for finance; no qualms there. As far as the Global MBA goes though SNU and Yonsei have fallen significantly. Yonsei, in particular, has diluted their brand with their plethora of Evening, Weekend, and Part-time programs.

Other Korean schools can not get nearly as many full-time international students as SKK GSB does. The only foreign students that attend your aforementioned schools are exchange students which are only present for 1 semester. SKK GSB is considered a great school; Korean's newspapers including the Economic Daily (equiv of WSJ in Korea) rated the global MBA as no.1.
In the area of competitiveness, many applicants are rejected from our school because of the synergy and sensibility of SKK GSB's Dual Degree Programs with Kelley (BW 15th) and Sloan MIT (BW 7th). People want these options for furthering their careers. As a result, all of our grads have higher starting salaries.
KAIST is good for finance; no qualms there. As far as the Global MBA goes though SNU and Yonsei have fallen significantly. Yonsei, in particular, has diluted their brand with their plethora of Evening, Weekend, and Part-time programs.
donho199

hey i am interested in the the finance mba as well. One question, what is the financial adis situation if you do the second year in kelly?

Because if you can get into a well-ranked american MBA, normally you will get about 20-50% ( most likely 20-30% for 60-70% of the class). So it works out quite cheap going to let say kelly from the beginning.

hey i am interested in the the finance mba as well. One question, what is the financial adis situation if you do the second year in kelly?

Because if you can get into a well-ranked american MBA, normally you will get about 20-50% ( most likely 20-30% for 60-70% of the class). So it works out quite cheap going to let say kelly from the beginning.

some international students go to SKK but that is because of Samsung Global programme( which offers 100% scholarship and living expenses for Samsung employees) and not because of SKK brand.

Please check this ranking

mbaprograms.org/mbaprograms/asiamba.asp

atleast KAIST is at number 17th in Asia.

one more ranking
careerdynamo.com/asia_mba.html

KAIST, SNU, Chungnam National University is there but no SKK!!

<blockquote>Thanks for reading my post.

KAIST is good for finance; no qualms there. As far as the Global MBA goes though SNU and Yonsei have fallen significantly. Yonsei, in particular, has diluted their brand with their plethora of Evening, Weekend, and Part-time programs.</blockquote>

some international students go to SKK but that is because of Samsung Global programme( which offers 100% scholarship and living expenses for Samsung employees) and not because of SKK brand.

Please check this ranking

mbaprograms.org/mbaprograms/asiamba.asp

atleast KAIST is at number 17th in Asia.

one more ranking
careerdynamo.com/asia_mba.html

KAIST, SNU, Chungnam National University is there but no SKK!!
Truenorth

Yes thats right. But who cares... they are young foreign people who are not from Korea. And SKK GSB has foreign students that are not a part of that program, I'm one of them.
Those ranking websites are ambigious. KAIST is not known internationally. If you go to SKK GSB you can have Indiana Kelley or MIT Degrees. At least they are known.

For rankings... hate to enlighten you but Businessweek and FT times are the only rankings that really matter. Those are just 3rd party websites. BW and FT do rigourous analysis using indepth statistics and interviews to create their lists. Needless to say, no Korean schools are on them. Even then rankings aren't everything. Just look at the value of having two degrees. Can't shop KAIST and SNU around outside Korea, that sucks.

Yes thats right. But who cares... they are young foreign people who are not from Korea. And SKK GSB has foreign students that are not a part of that program, I'm one of them.
Those ranking websites are ambigious. KAIST is not known internationally. If you go to SKK GSB you can have Indiana Kelley or MIT Degrees. At least they are known.

For rankings... hate to enlighten you but Businessweek and FT times are the only rankings that really matter. Those are just 3rd party websites. BW and FT do rigourous analysis using indepth statistics and interviews to create their lists. Needless to say, no Korean schools are on them. Even then rankings aren't everything. Just look at the value of having two degrees. Can't shop KAIST and SNU around outside Korea, that sucks.
Truenorth

Good Question,,,
1) Are you in the states are in Korea?
The 2nd Year Kelly tuition is out-of-state (not a resident of Indiana) @ about 40,000 USD.
If you did two years there, its 80,000 USD. That is just for courses. Add at least 10-12k per year for living expenses and accomodation.
If your coming from out of Korea to do two years in the states, scholarship won't help too much. For example, with 20 % off its 32,000 USD... That is still a lot more than a year at SKK GSB.

One year at SKK GSB is about 20k USD after converting from KRW

Domestic students will always get more schoalrships than int'l students. (Nothing to do with personal achievements, its just that US/State gov't bursaries and the school's scholarships are set up that way).

Hope that helped

<blockquote>hey i am interested in the the finance mba as well. One question, what is the financial adis situation if you do the second year in kelly?

</blockquote>

Good Question,,,
1) Are you in the states are in Korea?
The 2nd Year Kelly tuition is out-of-state (not a resident of Indiana) @ about 40,000 USD.
If you did two years there, its 80,000 USD. That is just for courses. Add at least 10-12k per year for living expenses and accomodation.
If your coming from out of Korea to do two years in the states, scholarship won't help too much. For example, with 20 % off its 32,000 USD... That is still a lot more than a year at SKK GSB.

One year at SKK GSB is about 20k USD after converting from KRW

Domestic students will always get more schoalrships than int'l students. (Nothing to do with personal achievements, its just that US/State gov't bursaries and the school's scholarships are set up that way).

Hope that helped

Dude, I respect your impression about SKK but try to find answer to this question- "Why some internatinal students left SKK GSB in the middle of the programme, is it because SKK MBA is too good as explained by you?
Anyways, best of luck to you for 'second door Indiana MBA degree.!!!'.

<blockquote>Yes thats right. But who cares... they are young foreign people who are not from Korea. And SKK GSB has foreign students that are not a part of that program, I'm one of them.

For rankings... hate to enlighten you but Businessweek and FT times are the only rankings that really matter. Those are just 3rd party websites. BW and FT do rigourous analysis using indepth statistics and interviews to create their lists. Needless to say, no Korean schools are on them. Even then rankings aren't everything. Just look at the value of having two degrees. Can't shop KAIST and SNU around outside Korea, that sucks.</blockquote>
Dude, I respect your impression about SKK but try to find answer to this question- "Why some internatinal students left SKK GSB in the middle of the programme, is it because SKK MBA is too good as explained by you?
Anyways, best of luck to you for 'second door Indiana MBA degree.!!!'.
Joykim

Some facts:

- Classmates:

About 35 % foreign students!!! come on man ...... and most of those international students are overseas Korean.. ha ha ha

<blockquote>http://gsb.skku.edu/2008_home/main/main.htm

Some facts:

- Classmates:
&#61550;About 35 % foreign ? Egypt, Latvia, Iran, Canada, Russia, Vietnam, China, Nigeria, Kenya, Romania
&#61550; Korean students ? generally older than int?l; many Samsung (various divisions), a few Posco, Woori, KDB, Google Korea, etc.

I had 50 %, so it was 12,000,000&#50896;

</blockquote>

About 35 % foreign students!!! come on man ...... and most of those international students are overseas Korean.. ha ha ha
Joykim

Hi Buddy,
How can you compare SNU and Yonsei with 2nd tier school like SKK. I think you are new in Korea and SKK GSB marketing team did not tell you the truth. Just ask any Korean student and they will tell you the real story. To be frank, SKK business school is not a respected school in Korea. I wonder how are you going to sell your degree within and outside Korea. If you have already got a job then that is a different story altogether.

KAIST is good for finance; no qualms there. As far as the Global MBA goes though SNU and Yonsei have fallen significantly. Yonsei, in particular, has diluted their brand with their plethora of Evening, Weekend, and Part-time programs.</blockquote>

Hi Buddy,
How can you compare SNU and Yonsei with 2nd tier school like SKK. I think you are new in Korea and SKK GSB marketing team did not tell you the truth. Just ask any Korean student and they will tell you the real story. To be frank, SKK business school is not a respected school in Korea. I wonder how are you going to sell your degree within and outside Korea. If you have already got a job then that is a different story altogether.
Joykim

I do agree with the ranking posted by saloni1982..Infact I also got one ranking( from a new but reputed wesite) for Korean MBA programme..

here is the link..

http://www.eduniversal.com/business-school-ranking/country/south-korea/116

summary of the korean MBA ranking
UNIVERSAL Business Schools
with major international influence Recommendation
Rate (per 1000)
01. KAIST Graduate School of Management (KGSM) 309 ?
02. Korea University Business School 288 ?
03. Seoul National University - SNU Business School 287 ?
04. Yonsei University - School of Business 158 ?
EXCELLENT Business Schools
nationally strong and/or with continental links Recommendation
Rate (per 1000)
01. Ewha Woman's University - School of Business 99 ?
02. Kyung Hee University - Department of Business Administration 78 ?
03. Pusan National University - Graduate School of Management

No wonder KAIST,SNU, Korea univ at the top of the list. SKK is not even in top three 2nd tier schools in Korea.

I do agree with the ranking posted by saloni1982..Infact I also got one ranking( from a new but reputed wesite) for Korean MBA programme..

here is the link..

http://www.eduniversal.com/business-school-ranking/country/south-korea/116

summary of the korean MBA ranking
UNIVERSAL Business Schools
with major international influence Recommendation
Rate (per 1000)
01. KAIST Graduate School of Management (KGSM) 309 ?
02. Korea University Business School 288 ?
03. Seoul National University - SNU Business School 287 ?
04. Yonsei University - School of Business 158 ?
EXCELLENT Business Schools
nationally strong and/or with continental links Recommendation
Rate (per 1000)
01. Ewha Woman's University - School of Business 99 ?
02. Kyung Hee University - Department of Business Administration 78 ?
03. Pusan National University - Graduate School of Management

No wonder KAIST,SNU, Korea univ at the top of the list. SKK is not even in top three 2nd tier schools in Korea.
donho199

things take time to make the difference. give it 5 years mate and we will check the list again. a lot of the schools broke through with very dubious start

things take time to make the difference. give it 5 years mate and we will check the list again. a lot of the schools broke through with very dubious start
Joykim

Yes, I agree with you. It will take some time. Infact all Korean schools ( not only MBA but other science and technology too) have great potential to beacome world class. Only thing we are missing is the use of English among korean students. Once we start discussing the academic matters in English no body is going to compete with us.

<blockquote>things take time to make the difference. give it 5 years mate and we will check the list again. a lot of the schools broke through with very dubious start</blockquote>
Yes, I agree with you. It will take some time. Infact all Korean schools ( not only MBA but other science and technology too) have great potential to beacome world class. Only thing we are missing is the use of English among korean students. Once we start discussing the academic matters in English no body is going to compete with us.
Truenorth

Hi Buddy,

Hi Buddy,
Not new to Korea,,,spent a good amount of time here... Did the due diligence on the schools... If it weren't for DDP I wouldn't have gone in the first place - to any of the schools. So yeah that is a key advantage. I've already completed my school year at SKK GSB. There is buzz and people know about it. As for the 35 % lol actually there was only 2 gyopo's in the class this year - the rest were of non Korean ethnicity. It is going up in next year's wave, but that is to be expected.
: Canada, US, Kenya, Nigera, Romania, Kazhakstan, Iran, Egypt, Lativa, Russia, Vietnam, China, and India

The SKY paradigm is for undergrad but MBA is a different game. I'm able to "sell" the degree because I'll have Kelley Degree and an SKK GSB degree. ROI is much higher than just attending SNU or Yonsei.

On a personal level - hey it was interesting being a student in an Asian[foreign] country, if thats my thing, well good for me. I hope more foreign students come to Korea - thats the only way for Korean B-schools to gain prestige internationally.

Anyways I wish goodluck to those schools. I am sure all schools in Korea will increase in global competitiveness as time moves forward like our other friend here said. Internationally, at least for now, only China and Singapore have B-schools that are taken seriously.

<blockquote>
Hi Buddy,
How can you compare SNU and Yonsei with 2nd tier school like SKK. I think you are new in Korea and SKK GSB marketing team did not tell you the truth. Just ask any Korean student and they will tell you the real story. To be frank, SKK business school is not a respected school in Korea. I wonder how are you going to sell your degree within and outside Korea. If you have already got a job then that is a different story altogether.</blockquote>

Hi Buddy,
Not new to Korea,,,spent a good amount of time here... Did the due diligence on the schools... If it weren't for DDP I wouldn't have gone in the first place - to any of the schools. So yeah that is a key advantage. I've already completed my school year at SKK GSB. There is buzz and people know about it. As for the 35 % lol actually there was only 2 gyopo's in the class this year - the rest were of non Korean ethnicity. It is going up in next year's wave, but that is to be expected.
: Canada, US, Kenya, Nigera, Romania, Kazhakstan, Iran, Egypt, Lativa, Russia, Vietnam, China, and India

The SKY paradigm is for undergrad but MBA is a different game. I'm able to "sell" the degree because I'll have Kelley Degree and an SKK GSB degree. ROI is much higher than just attending SNU or Yonsei.

On a personal level - hey it was interesting being a student in an Asian[foreign] country, if thats my thing, well good for me. I hope more foreign students come to Korea - thats the only way for Korean B-schools to gain prestige internationally.

Anyways I wish goodluck to those schools. I am sure all schools in Korea will increase in global competitiveness as time moves forward like our other friend here said. Internationally, at least for now, only China and Singapore have B-schools that are taken seriously.
donho199

I fully agree with truenorth. There is unseasy feeling towards co-operation programme with the fear of selling degree from unfancy western colleges or degree mill or back door access to top ranked uni.

It is not easy to secure full term exchange with top schools in the US. I dont think it is a back door to Kelly simply because you will sit in the same class as second year MBA students doing the same work teaching by the same faculty and get the same credits and certificates.

The gap between asian schools and European/North America is still there but it is thanks to these programmes you see the gap is closing down.

In less than 5 years, if they are able to continue their good work, SKK will be respected in Asia and can hope to take on well-ranked schools else where.

Unless you go to the top 20 of US, top 5 of UK, i doubt the quality of the rest is far better than SKK

I fully agree with truenorth. There is unseasy feeling towards co-operation programme with the fear of selling degree from unfancy western colleges or degree mill or back door access to top ranked uni.

It is not easy to secure full term exchange with top schools in the US. I dont think it is a back door to Kelly simply because you will sit in the same class as second year MBA students doing the same work teaching by the same faculty and get the same credits and certificates.

The gap between asian schools and European/North America is still there but it is thanks to these programmes you see the gap is closing down.

In less than 5 years, if they are able to continue their good work, SKK will be respected in Asia and can hope to take on well-ranked schools else where.

Unless you go to the top 20 of US, top 5 of UK, i doubt the quality of the rest is far better than SKK
ysbheejin

A response to True North:

Don't know how long its been since you were updated with Yonsei's program. But, I thought I'd fill you in with a few details about the school.

While the program you are speaking of in terms of "evening courses" still exist, I don't think its been diluted to the extent you've implicated.

Not sure if you are aware, also, the global MBA program and the MBA program are different. And, applicable courses are different as well.

In terms of the Global MBA program, the quality of it can be considered top-notch. The international atmosphere it has formulated is highlighted in the classes itself. I think there's probably about 20-30 different nationalities in one class setting, so if international networking is what would be considered to be "limited" at the school, I don't think that is a problem now.

Aside from that, the overall YSB programs have changed tremendously in the past year or so. Therefore, I think its time to put this "SKY" imagery into play and apply to the international system, and take it out of the "Korea" system.

A response to True North:

Don't know how long its been since you were updated with Yonsei's program. But, I thought I'd fill you in with a few details about the school.

While the program you are speaking of in terms of "evening courses" still exist, I don't think its been diluted to the extent you've implicated.

Not sure if you are aware, also, the global MBA program and the MBA program are different. And, applicable courses are different as well.

In terms of the Global MBA program, the quality of it can be considered top-notch. The international atmosphere it has formulated is highlighted in the classes itself. I think there's probably about 20-30 different nationalities in one class setting, so if international networking is what would be considered to be "limited" at the school, I don't think that is a problem now.

Aside from that, the overall YSB programs have changed tremendously in the past year or so. Therefore, I think its time to put this "SKY" imagery into play and apply to the international system, and take it out of the "Korea" system.
Truenorth

It will never be time for "SKY" imagery to apply to the international system. In fact, I don't differentiate between national and international systems and either do my colleagues.

That mentality is one of the many reasons why SKK GSB is successful.

Here is the proof:
http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolrankings/sunkyunkwan-university-gsb

Image comes from quality and innovation. You can't ride the laurels of past successes forever. SKK GSB's success speaks directly to this.

It will never be time for "SKY" imagery to apply to the international system. In fact, I don't differentiate between national and international systems and either do my colleagues.

That mentality is one of the many reasons why SKK GSB is successful.

Here is the proof:
http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolrankings/sunkyunkwan-university-gsb

Image comes from quality and innovation. You can't ride the laurels of past successes forever. SKK GSB's success speaks directly to this.

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

Bloomington, Indiana 41 Followers 82 Discussions
Cambridge, Massachusetts 53 Followers 175 Discussions
Seoul, South Korea 11 Followers 7 Discussions
Seoul, South Korea 30 Followers 11 Discussions
Seoul, South Korea 10 Followers 10 Discussions
Seoul, South Korea 57 Followers 9 Discussions

Other Related Content

Jan 11, 2024

LinkedIn Launches MBA Rankings of US Business Schools

News Jan 11, 2024