MBA Ranking for Asia

JohnnyL

Hi there,

I have a short question: Do you know a ranking of Asian or Chinese B-Schools that can be found in the Internet?

Thanks in advance for your short answer.

Best,
JL

Hi there,

I have a short question: Do you know a ranking of Asian or Chinese B-Schools that can be found in the Internet?

Best,
JL
Evan2007

Hi again, Johnny. If you're after something pan-Asian and reliable, I think the short answer is no. You can sort the Economist ranking for Asian programs in the Top 10. You get ten or so, but oddly not ISB, INSEAD or ANY school on mainland China. Maybe that's why Economist isn't such a relied-upon international ranking.

Hi again, Johnny. If you're after something pan-Asian and reliable, I think the short answer is no. You can sort the Economist ranking for Asian programs in the Top 10. You get ten or so, but oddly not ISB, INSEAD or ANY school on mainland China. Maybe that's why Economist isn't such a relied-upon international ranking.

Financial Times doesn't have a good list of Asian colleges either. Among the lists that I have seen - EIU still seems to list the most asian colleges

Financial Times doesn't have a good list of Asian colleges either. Among the lists that I have seen - EIU still seems to list the most asian colleges

in china, there are TOP FOUR universities ,

TSINGHUA, PERKING, SHANGHAI TRANSPORTATION AND
FUDAN university.

above mentioned are the first tier ,
besides CEIBS and CHANGJIANG who need GMAT rather than NATIONAL EXAM , which was hold annually for other universities in whole china.

FUDAN university.

besides CEIBS and CHANGJIANG who need GMAT rather than NATIONAL EXAM , which was hold annually for other universities in whole china.
duhang

FUDAN university.

dude, there is no Shanghai Transportation University, it should be Shanghai Jiao Tong University(SJTU). Its Antai College of Economics and Management actually ranked top 50 in FT. Tsinghua, Peking, Fudan and SJTU are IB target school domestically. There pre-experience master programs graduates are highly-sought due to their tough entrance exam, similar to the case of IIMs and IITs in India.

Local employers don't value MBAs as much as their Western counterparts. Locally-renown mba programs are CKGSB(Cheung Kong) and CEIBS, they tend to be very influential in mainland and has biggest alum network.

For those MBA programs associated with universities, MBA students are usually regarded as inferior to undergrads and grads in the same campus. The reason is those guys only take a GMAT-like entrance exam in Chinese, not the ordinary Graduate Entrance Exam which include much more difficult maths and related subject exams.

<blockquote>in china, there are TOP FOUR universities ,

FUDAN university.

besides CEIBS and CHANGJIANG who need GMAT rather than NATIONAL EXAM , which was hold annually for other universities in whole china.</blockquote>
dude, there is no Shanghai Transportation University, it should be Shanghai Jiao Tong University(SJTU). Its Antai College of Economics and Management actually ranked top 50 in FT. Tsinghua, Peking, Fudan and SJTU are IB target school domestically. There pre-experience master programs graduates are highly-sought due to their tough entrance exam, similar to the case of IIMs and IITs in India.

Local employers don't value MBAs as much as their Western counterparts. Locally-renown mba programs are CKGSB(Cheung Kong) and CEIBS, they tend to be very influential in mainland and has biggest alum network.

For those MBA programs associated with universities, MBA students are usually regarded as inferior to undergrads and grads in the same campus. The reason is those guys only take a GMAT-like entrance exam in Chinese, not the ordinary Graduate Entrance Exam which include much more difficult maths and related subject exams.
nikifori

Hi there,

Best,
JL

tokyo unversity is an excellent れ choice but for珍 overall hkust is the best and most reputed program in asia

<blockquote>Hi there,

Best,
JL</blockquote>

tokyo unversity is an excellent &#12428; choice&#12288;but&#12288;for&#29645; overall hkust is the best and most reputed program in asia
andy.j.

So, Johnny - 2nd thoughts about studying in Germany ?

So, Johnny - 2nd thoughts about studying in Germany ?
Malia

tokyo unversity is an excellent れ choice but for珍 overall hkust is the best and most reputed program in asia

I did not know that there's an MBA at Tokyo University.

<blockquote>tokyo unversity is an excellent &#12428; choice&#12288;but&#12288;for&#29645; overall hkust is the best and most reputed program in asia</blockquote>

duhang

me neither.
I do know there is a mba program within Kyoto University.
But while there MBAs are not valued in their university's home country, how can anybody expect Japan-made MBAs can be respected anywhere in other places.

<blockquote><blockquote>tokyo unversity is an excellent &#12428; choice&#12288;but&#12288;for&#29645; overall hkust is the best and most reputed program in asia</blockquote>

I did not know that there's an MBA at Tokyo University.</blockquote>
me neither.
I do know there is a mba program within Kyoto University.
But while there MBAs are not valued in their university's home country, how can anybody expect Japan-made MBAs can be respected anywhere in other places.
Inactive User

I'd say that any ranks are debatable, but Montauk's book will give you some good idea. Generally, HKUST is regarded as the best B-school in Asia.

I'd say that any ranks are debatable, but Montauk's book will give you some good idea. Generally, HKUST is regarded as the best B-school in Asia.
pintos

right on...
hkust recently signed a co-operation agreement with Saudi Aramco. these guys are big time.
http://www.bm.ust.hk/bm/Web/PressReleasePage.aspx?PressReleaseId=139&Version=English

<blockquote>I'd say that any ranks are debatable, but Montauk's book will give you some good idea. Generally, HKUST is regarded as the best B-school in Asia.</blockquote>

right on...
hkust recently signed a co-operation agreement with Saudi Aramco. these guys are big time.
http://www.bm.ust.hk/bm/Web/PressReleasePage.aspx?PressReleaseId=139&Version=English

I really seek pardon to disagree with that.......According to me there are 4 broad categories of MBA schools in Asia....

Cat 1 :- Truly World Class - INSEAD / CEIBS

Cat2 :- Regional but good institutes - NUS/HKUST/ISB

Cat3 :- Colleges with good standings - IIM's / CUHK/ NTU

Cat4 :- The one which need improvements..

Regards,

I really seek pardon to disagree with that.......According to me there are 4 broad categories of MBA schools in Asia....

Regards,

<blockquote>I'd say that any ranks are debatable, but Montauk's book will give you some good idea. Generally, HKUST is regarded as the best B-school in Asia.</blockquote>

Regards,

what is your definition of world class?

placing Insead and CEIBS in the same line begs for a lawsuit.

<blockquote>I really seek pardon to disagree with that.......According to me there are 4 broad categories of MBA schools in Asia....

Regards,

<blockquote>I'd say that any ranks are debatable, but Montauk's book will give you some good idea. Generally, HKUST is regarded as the best B-school in Asia.</blockquote></blockquote>

what is your definition of world class?

placing Insead and CEIBS in the same line begs for a lawsuit.

Lowayk

Hi everybody,

I wonder how reputed is GuanghuaSM outside China ? If I want to work in Hong Kong for example, will this diploma be a real asset ? More generally, I consider working in Asia in the future but not necessarily in China. Compared to a dual degree program with Nanyang university (Singapore), what's the best?

My school (ESSEC, France) has a dual degree program with Guanghua, but it means going 1 year in Peking and that's why I need more information before making my decision...

Thanks

Hi everybody,

I wonder how reputed is GuanghuaSM outside China ? If I want to work in Hong Kong for example, will this diploma be a real asset ? More generally, I consider working in Asia in the future but not necessarily in China. Compared to a dual degree program with Nanyang university (Singapore), what's the best?

My school (ESSEC, France) has a dual degree program with Guanghua, but it means going 1 year in Peking and that's why I need more information before making my decision...

Thanks
lolipop

Regards,

Insead is the sole "truly world class" school in this list.

Hong Kong UST and CEIBS are the only other two where top applicants will apply as back ups, however for CEIBS you absolutely need to speak Mandarin with any hopes of decent job in Shanghai or Beijing.

<blockquote>I really seek pardon to disagree with that.......According to me there are 4 broad categories of MBA schools in Asia....

Regards,

<blockquote>I'd say that any ranks are debatable, but Montauk's book will give you some good idea. Generally, HKUST is regarded as the best B-school in Asia.</blockquote></blockquote>

Insead is the sole "truly world class" school in this list.

Hong Kong UST and CEIBS are the only other two where top applicants will apply as back ups, however for CEIBS you absolutely need to speak Mandarin with any hopes of decent job in Shanghai or Beijing.

Go check the ranking in Sino Manager, which is most reputable MBA ranking in China.

http://www.sino-manager.com/NewsShow.aspx?PostID=742

Tsinghua SEM-MIT Sloan IMBA program has been consecutively ranked 1# for 4 years ever since this ranking started!

Go check the ranking in Sino Manager, which is most reputable MBA ranking in China.

http://www.sino-manager.com/NewsShow.aspx?PostID=742

Tsinghua SEM-MIT Sloan IMBA program has been consecutively ranked 1# for 4 years ever since this ranking started!
JohnnyL

Thank you very much for that. Unfortunately, I do not understand Chinese. Can the ranking be found anywhere in an English version?

Thank you very much for that. Unfortunately, I do not understand Chinese. Can the ranking be found anywhere in an English version?

Johnny,
At this time, there are no comprehensive rankings that include all the top Chinese Schools and international schools. You can either look at the FT or EIU for international school rankings with a smattering of Chinese schools or you can look at Sino Manager for rankings of Chinese programs but not international programs.

The FT currently requires that schools be accredited with AACSB or EQUIS, and as of right now, I think that CEIBS, Tsinghua, Shanghai Jiaotong, and Fudan are the only schools currently accredit by either accreditation organization (someone correct me if I've left off school). The EIU rankings are by invitation by the EIU so conceivably they'll invite Chinese schools in the future.

In reality, there are two competing factors in the rankings that make comparisons very hard. First, all Chinese programs will do well relative to international programs for the simple reason that salaries in China are going up faster then in other parts of the world. Offsetting this is the reality that Chinese universities have student to teacher ratios that are 3 to 5 times higher than in international schools and their research productivity, as measured by either the FT or the EIU, is likely to be 1/10th that of a top international school. As a result, you can have schools rank well internationally even though the actual learning environment is not on par with the ranking.

Johnny,
At this time, there are no comprehensive rankings that include all the top Chinese Schools and international schools. You can either look at the FT or EIU for international school rankings with a smattering of Chinese schools or you can look at Sino Manager for rankings of Chinese programs but not international programs.

The FT currently requires that schools be accredited with AACSB or EQUIS, and as of right now, I think that CEIBS, Tsinghua, Shanghai Jiaotong, and Fudan are the only schools currently accredit by either accreditation organization (someone correct me if I've left off school). The EIU rankings are by invitation by the EIU so conceivably they'll invite Chinese schools in the future.

In reality, there are two competing factors in the rankings that make comparisons very hard. First, all Chinese programs will do well relative to international programs for the simple reason that salaries in China are going up faster then in other parts of the world. Offsetting this is the reality that Chinese universities have student to teacher ratios that are 3 to 5 times higher than in international schools and their research productivity, as measured by either the FT or the EIU, is likely to be 1/10th that of a top international school. As a result, you can have schools rank well internationally even though the actual learning environment is not on par with the ranking.
duhang

Let me add one school.
BIMBA, one outreach program taught by Peking & Vlerick faculties with one triple-accredited vlerick degree. Offered in beautiful Langrun Garden in PKU, sounds like ads huh?
Also, SJTU run several joint-programs with UBC, Euromed, but to my knowledge, these programs mainly target domestic students and/or expats in respective regions.
Tsinghua, Fudan and Lingnan international MBA programs are supported by MIT Sloan through faculty exchange and curriculum design, it states everyone will awarded one certificare from MIT Sloan in addition to their home degrees. Although a certificate doesn't enable you stand out before prospective employer, anyway through these supports, you can expect a minimal quality of teaching, at least those textbooks are offered by MIT Sloan for free and are on par with international schools.
You come to bschool, want to build your networks and receive basic business trainings. Well-designed curriculum and textbooks, combined with not that bad faculty and local networks, there is no reason to look down upon local Chinese schools.

Let me add one school.
BIMBA, one outreach program taught by Peking & Vlerick faculties with one triple-accredited vlerick degree. Offered in beautiful Langrun Garden in PKU, sounds like ads huh?
Also, SJTU run several joint-programs with UBC, Euromed, but to my knowledge, these programs mainly target domestic students and/or expats in respective regions.
Tsinghua, Fudan and Lingnan international MBA programs are supported by MIT Sloan through faculty exchange and curriculum design, it states everyone will awarded one certificare from MIT Sloan in addition to their home degrees. Although a certificate doesn't enable you stand out before prospective employer, anyway through these supports, you can expect a minimal quality of teaching, at least those textbooks are offered by MIT Sloan for free and are on par with international schools.
You come to bschool, want to build your networks and receive basic business trainings. Well-designed curriculum and textbooks, combined with not that bad faculty and local networks, there is no reason to look down upon local Chinese schools.

Just to be clear, I'm not looking down at Chinese schools, but I'm also not looking up at them. Looking eye to eye, I see strengths and weaknesses. The best schools in China have prestigous brands that attract great peers in the classroom (strength). Their faculty, however, simply don't compare with the faculty in the top tier international schools, either as teachers or researchers (weaknesses). When you apply for a program, make sure you know want, and go for programs that can deliver what you want. Overall rankings mean very little.

Just to be clear, I'm not looking down at Chinese schools, but I'm also not looking up at them. Looking eye to eye, I see strengths and weaknesses. The best schools in China have prestigous brands that attract great peers in the classroom (strength). Their faculty, however, simply don't compare with the faculty in the top tier international schools, either as teachers or researchers (weaknesses). When you apply for a program, make sure you know want, and go for programs that can deliver what you want. Overall rankings mean very little.

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

Shanghai, China 30 Followers 38 Discussions
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia 43 Followers 15 Discussions
Beijing, China 8 Followers 52 Discussions
Beijing, China 6 Followers 12 Discussions
Pune, India 6 Followers 1 Discussion
Indore, India 2 Followers 12 Discussions
Kerala, India 3 Followers 13 Discussions
Beijing, China 11 Followers 35 Discussions
Kyoto, Japan 11 Followers 2 Discussions
Guangzhou, China 7 Followers 8 Discussions
Beijing, China 12 Followers 66 Discussions
West Bengal, India 8 Followers 30 Discussions
Shanghai, China 38 Followers 78 Discussions
Beijing, China 6 Followers 102 Discussions
Hong Kong, Hong Kong (PRC) 31 Followers 162 Discussions
Shenzhen, China 5 Followers 40 Discussions
Fontainebleau, France 73 Followers 309 Discussions
Singapore 33 Followers 171 Discussions
Lucknow, India 1 Follower 17 Discussions
Hyderabad, India 22 Followers 86 Discussions
Ahmedabad, India 11 Followers 78 Discussions
Bangalore, India 7 Followers 50 Discussions
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates 5 Followers 53 Discussions

Other Related Content

Sep 11, 2023

The GMAC MBA Tour Lands in Africa Sept. 13-19

News Sep 11, 2023

The Eye of the Tiger: A Look at EMBA Programs in East Asia

Article Jan 27, 2010

Despite the global economic downturn, a focus on Asia remains an attractive option for executives

Top 10 MBA Programs in Asia

Top List

Hong Kong, Singapore and more: see the Top 10 MBA Programs in Asia here

Hot Discussions