MBA in Asia

pat

Hello, I'm from Spain and I want to do an MBA in an Asian country, and I was wondering if (good) Asian prog. attract an international crowd as students like the European ones, or if they are more regional. Anyone knows how is the composition of classes, if I might might even be the only European student?

Hello, I'm from Spain and I want to do an MBA in an Asian country, and I was wondering if (good) Asian prog. attract an international crowd as students like the European ones, or if they are more regional. Anyone knows how is the composition of classes, if I might might even be the only European student?
Kate_hk

There are some very good programs I can only advise. Take Insead in Singapore, and you can be sure the crowd is international. But depends as well where you intend to work afterwards.

There are some very good programs I can only advise. Take Insead in Singapore, and you can be sure the crowd is international. But depends as well where you intend to work afterwards.
pat

Do you know something about the programs in Hong Kong?

Do you know something about the programs in Hong Kong?
a_mukerjee

Hey there, in Hong Kong you have high density of good MBAs. In fact there are several very good programs, I think the following are even ranked, if I remember right:
The University of Hong Kong (HKU)
HK University of Science and Technology (HKUST)
Chinese University of HK (CUHK)
Hope that helps.

Hey there, in Hong Kong you have high density of good MBAs. In fact there are several very good programs, I think the following are even ranked, if I remember right:
Hope that helps.
pat

Hello, thanks for that info. Those sound like very good schools. Coming back to my question, do you know anything about composition of classes, is it international, students coming from all over the world?

Hello, thanks for that info. Those sound like very good schools. Coming back to my question, do you know anything about composition of classes, is it international, students coming from all over the world?
iuri

Hi,
I think you will have a lot more students from Asian countries and Australia, but it's definitely an international crowd. But no personal experience here.
There are quite a few very good programs represented in the international rankings, it's those programs I mean. As for the others, you might be the only Western student...
Iuri

Hi,
I think you will have a lot more students from Asian countries and Australia, but it's definitely an international crowd. But no personal experience here.
There are quite a few very good programs represented in the international rankings, it's those programs I mean. As for the others, you might be the only Western student...
Iuri
pat

Thanks a lot! Anyone has done one of those, or another MBA in Asia? I would appreciate some insights.

Thanks a lot! Anyone has done one of those, or another MBA in Asia? I would appreciate some insights.

Well here is list of top B schools in India..

List of top B Schools.
http://raikar.raviraj.googlepages.com/topmbacolleges
http://raikar.raviraj.googlepages.com/mbacollege2
http://raikar.raviraj.googlepages.com/mbacollege3

hope this info benefits you..

Well here is list of top B schools in India..

List of top B Schools.
http://raikar.raviraj.googlepages.com/topmbacolleges
http://raikar.raviraj.googlepages.com/mbacollege2
http://raikar.raviraj.googlepages.com/mbacollege3

hope this info benefits you..
Inactive User

Hope that helps.

Is this ranking in terms of reputation/quality?

1. hku
2. hkust
3. cuhk

How is HKU vs HKUST perceived in HK and Asia?

<blockquote>Hey there, in Hong Kong you have high density of good MBAs. In fact there are several very good programs, I think the following are even ranked, if I remember right:
Hope that helps.</blockquote>

1. hku
2. hkust
3. cuhk

copernicus

Hope that helps.

1. hku
2. hkust
3. cuhk

HK UST Business School is by far the best MBA from that list, and that is especially true for Finance

These threads talk about the best Asian B-Schools
http://www.find-mba.com/board/4345
http://www.find-mba.com/board/4159

<blockquote><blockquote>Hey there, in Hong Kong you have high density of good MBAs. In fact there are several very good programs, I think the following are even ranked, if I remember right:
Hope that helps.</blockquote>

1. hku
2. hkust
3. cuhk

</blockquote>

HK UST Business School is by far the best MBA from that list, and that is especially true for Finance

These threads talk about the best Asian B-Schools
http://www.find-mba.com/board/4345
http://www.find-mba.com/board/4159
jona

Hi, as I understand the three Hong Kong schools can be very attractive for non Asian students (I've read that other thread you mention), and each has certain advantages.

Besides, I have an idea about INSEAD in Singapore.

But I was wondering about other interesting Asian MBAs having comparable international appeal, and attract an international crowd of highly qualified young professionals. That would be a condition for to consider an MBA in Asia, it does not make sense if it is too local.

I am first of all interested by India and Philippines. Who can help?

Hi, as I understand the three Hong Kong schools can be very attractive for non Asian students (I've read that other thread you mention), and each has certain advantages.

But I was wondering about other interesting Asian MBAs having comparable international appeal, and attract an international crowd of highly qualified young professionals. That would be a condition for to consider an MBA in Asia, it does not make sense if it is too local.

Hong Kong UST has been ranked #1 by the Financial Times,
the last 6 years in International Experience Category. This particular school has an exchange component allowing you to study for a semester at other Asian schools, or top US/EU ones, Chicago, Columbia, Berkeley, LBS, HEC, etc
http://mba.ust.hk/ftmba/prog/exchange.html

CEIBS might be a better known school, but for someone with international outlook it is much better to study in Hong Kong.
So I would say CEIBS is very good for a Chinese expat coming back and wanting to work in mainland China - Shanghai or something like that.

If you look further at Insead-Singapore, you will notice that it is not nearly as good as INSEAD Europe, you will have the diploma but if you are looking for the Asian experience do not go there.

<blockquote>Hi, as I understand the three Hong Kong schools can be very attractive for non Asian students (I've read that other thread you mention), and each has certain advantages.

I am first of all interested by India and Philippines. Who can help?</blockquote>

Hong Kong UST has been ranked #1 by the Financial Times,
the last 6 years in International Experience Category. This particular school has an exchange component allowing you to study for a semester at other Asian schools, or top US/EU ones, Chicago, Columbia, Berkeley, LBS, HEC, etc
http://mba.ust.hk/ftmba/prog/exchange.html

CEIBS might be a better known school, but for someone with international outlook it is much better to study in Hong Kong.
So I would say CEIBS is very good for a Chinese expat coming back and wanting to work in mainland China - Shanghai or something like that.

If you look further at Insead-Singapore, you will notice that it is not nearly as good as INSEAD Europe, you will have the diploma but if you are looking for the Asian experience do not go there.
AnalystNYC

Hong Kong UST B-School is your best choice based on what you wrote.

<blockquote>Hi, as I understand the three Hong Kong schools can be very attractive for non Asian students (I've read that other thread you mention), and each has certain advantages.

I am first of all interested by India and Philippines. Who can help?</blockquote>

Hong Kong UST B-School is your best choice based on what you wrote.
jona

Thanks for your comments AnalystNYC and globetraveler. What you say about HK BSchools and INSEAD confirms what I've heard before, and read in the different threads on this board.

Still, I'd like to come back to my question above: Who can give me some information about top programs in India and Philippines?
I presume that in both countries BSchools, even the best ones, are not of equal high level as as HKUST. But I'd be keen to get a clearer picture!

Thhanks for your help.

Thanks for your comments AnalystNYC and globetraveler. What you say about HK BSchools and INSEAD confirms what I've heard before, and read in the different threads on this board.

Still, I'd like to come back to my question above: Who can give me some information about top programs in India and Philippines?
I presume that in both countries BSchools, even the best ones, are not of equal high level as as HKUST. But I'd be keen to get a clearer picture!

Thhanks for your help.

Thhanks for your help.

Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad (India)
Indian School of Business (India)

As far as I know they do not offer a regular MBA but a post graduate certificate in Management or something like that. As for the Phillipines I do not know , sorry.

Idea for you, HK UST has an exchange component to it, where you basically choose from top schools all over the world and exchange there for a semester, you could do that and go to India.

<blockquote>Thanks for your comments AnalystNYC and globetraveler. What you say about HK BSchools and INSEAD confirms what I've heard before, and read in the different threads on this board.

Thhanks for your help.</blockquote>

Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad (India)
Indian School of Business (India)

As far as I know they do not offer a regular MBA but a post graduate certificate in Management or something like that. As for the Phillipines I do not know , sorry.

Idea for you, HK UST has an exchange component to it, where you basically choose from top schools all over the world and exchange there for a semester, you could do that and go to India.
seppoo

one comment about Philippines and India: I did an MBA at HKUST and know students from CEIBS, NUS, Indian MBAs, etc.

Based on my insight Indian MBAs are for Indians only (for now). As a foreigner you are a real outsider. Additionally Indian MBa students tend not to have a lot of work experience.
HKUST in comparison is more international than Columbia in NYC where I did my exchange. In Columbia everything was American, whereas at HKUST you get a true global mindset. UST has an inofficial policy to admit 1/3 Chinese, 1/3 non-Chinese Asians and 1/3 foreigners. And you bet that if you are within the frist two categories you have to be either very intelligent or already have some time abroad from your undergrad or work experience.

one comment about Philippines and India: I did an MBA at HKUST and know students from CEIBS, NUS, Indian MBAs, etc.

Based on my insight Indian MBAs are for Indians only (for now). As a foreigner you are a real outsider. Additionally Indian MBa students tend not to have a lot of work experience.
HKUST in comparison is more international than Columbia in NYC where I did my exchange. In Columbia everything was American, whereas at HKUST you get a true global mindset. UST has an inofficial policy to admit 1/3 Chinese, 1/3 non-Chinese Asians and 1/3 foreigners. And you bet that if you are within the frist two categories you have to be either very intelligent or already have some time abroad from your undergrad or work experience.
kit

seppoo,
I'm curious -- how would you rate HKUST with CIEBS and NUS in 1) quality of program and 2) job prospects and recruiting? What have the placements been like in your class? Thanks!

seppoo,
I'm curious -- how would you rate HKUST with CIEBS and NUS in 1) quality of program and 2) job prospects and recruiting? What have the placements been like in your class? Thanks!

AnalystNYC

would you say that HK UST has a reputation of being "Columbia Univ" of Asia? I have heard that from many people..

<blockquote>one comment about Philippines and India: I did an MBA at HKUST and know students from CEIBS, NUS, Indian MBAs, etc.

HKUST in comparison is more international than Columbia in NYC where I did my exchange. In Columbia everything was American, whereas at HKUST you get a true global mindset. UST has an inofficial policy to admit 1/3 Chinese, 1/3 non-Chinese Asians and 1/3 foreigners. And you bet that if you are within the frist two categories you have to be either very intelligent or already have some time abroad from your undergrad or work experience. </blockquote>

would you say that HK UST has a reputation of being "Columbia Univ" of Asia? I have heard that from many people..
ArunS

Hi everyone!
What do you think about the City University of Hong Kong? Is it competitive compared to HKUST and Chinese University?
Thanks, Arun

Hi everyone!
What do you think about the City University of Hong Kong? Is it competitive compared to HKUST and Chinese University?
Thanks, Arun
seppoo

seppoo,

hey i have not too much time, but i would say as follows:

1) if wharton and GBS are a 10, then i rate as follows:
hkust:8
NUS: 5
CIEBS: 1 (ok generous a 2)

2) job prospects is very depending on where you want to work and what industry
CEIBS should only be considered at all if you speak mandarin. without, forget it. additionally it's only for jobs within China, preferably Shanghai. Salaries are not competitive to Europe/US (i.e. I heard from people working for 10,000 RMB a month after graduation, with 30,000 RMB/month you will do very well working in China and coming off the CEIBS program).
NUS: can be considered if you like Asset Management, Wealth Management or Hedge Funds, more and more of them move to Singapore. generally good prospects for graduates IN singapore. i have yet to hear from a NUS graduate finding a job in Hong Kong.
HKUST: good if you like true international banking/investment banking. has everything that Singapore has as well. most regional offices of big companies are in hong kong due to proximity to China but still being international.
of course you can find your dreamjob in every of these locations but it's all about chance and prospects.

<blockquote>seppoo,

</blockquote>

hey i have not too much time, but i would say as follows:

1) if wharton and GBS are a 10, then i rate as follows:
hkust:8
NUS: 5
CIEBS: 1 (ok generous a 2)

2) job prospects is very depending on where you want to work and what industry
CEIBS should only be considered at all if you speak mandarin. without, forget it. additionally it's only for jobs within China, preferably Shanghai. Salaries are not competitive to Europe/US (i.e. I heard from people working for 10,000 RMB a month after graduation, with 30,000 RMB/month you will do very well working in China and coming off the CEIBS program).
NUS: can be considered if you like Asset Management, Wealth Management or Hedge Funds, more and more of them move to Singapore. generally good prospects for graduates IN singapore. i have yet to hear from a NUS graduate finding a job in Hong Kong.
HKUST: good if you like true international banking/investment banking. has everything that Singapore has as well. most regional offices of big companies are in hong kong due to proximity to China but still being international.
of course you can find your dreamjob in every of these locations but it's all about chance and prospects.

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

Hong Kong, Hong Kong (PRC) 6 Followers 12 Discussions
Hong Kong, Hong Kong (PRC) 43 Followers 85 Discussions
Beijing, China 12 Followers 66 Discussions
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia 43 Followers 15 Discussions
Makati City, Philippines 11 Followers 19 Discussions
Bangkok, Thailand 7 Followers 4 Discussions
Beijing, China 8 Followers 52 Discussions
Beijing, China 6 Followers 12 Discussions
Hong Kong, Hong Kong (PRC) 4 Followers 2 Discussions
Beijing, China 11 Followers 35 Discussions
Singapore 35 Followers 54 Discussions
Tokyo, Japan 18 Followers 9 Discussions
Ahmedabad, India 11 Followers 78 Discussions
Niigata, Japan 12 Followers 8 Discussions
Singapore 82 Followers 168 Discussions
Singapore 9 Followers 5 Discussions
Shanghai, China 30 Followers 38 Discussions
Shanghai, China 38 Followers 78 Discussions
Beijing, China 6 Followers 102 Discussions
Hong Kong, Hong Kong (PRC) 31 Followers 162 Discussions
Vancouver, Canada 61 Followers 97 Discussions
Hong Kong, Hong Kong (PRC) 20 Followers 77 Discussions
Singapore 33 Followers 171 Discussions
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia 17 Followers 2 Discussions
Hyderabad, India 22 Followers 86 Discussions

Other Related Content

Sep 11, 2023

The GMAC MBA Tour Lands in Africa Sept. 13-19

News Sep 11, 2023

MBA Programs in Southeast Asia: Tapping Into the Tiger Cubs

Article Oct 30, 2013

A number of accredited MBA programs are meeting specific needs in this fast-growing region

Top 10 MBA Programs in Asia

Top List

Hong Kong, Singapore and more: see the Top 10 MBA Programs in Asia here