Dual Degree: CUHK + HEC

Hi there,

CUHK provides a Dual Degree MBA program which they claim the graduate will get certificate from both CUHK and HEC. They claim that this is not an exchange program for 1 seminar only, but half of the course will be taken place in HEC Paris (9 months in CUHK, 8 months in HEC).

I would like to know how employer and HEC Paris student think towards those students for above dual degree program. I afraid this program comes up like the exchange program in HKU, Although HKU student official get into the Alumni network of Columbia/LBS, never a Columbia/LBS student will really treat those people who spent only 1 seminar there as part of their Alumni network.

Is there any Alumni who attended CUHK + HEC dual degree program could share their experience. Many thanks!

Hi there,

CUHK provides a Dual Degree MBA program which they claim the graduate will get certificate from both CUHK and HEC. They claim that this is not an exchange program for 1 seminar only, but half of the course will be taken place in HEC Paris (9 months in CUHK, 8 months in HEC).

I would like to know how employer and HEC Paris student think towards those students for above dual degree program. I afraid this program comes up like the exchange program in HKU, Although HKU student official get into the Alumni network of Columbia/LBS, never a Columbia/LBS student will really treat those people who spent only 1 seminar there as part of their Alumni network.

Is there any Alumni who attended CUHK + HEC dual degree program could share their experience. Many thanks!

Hi there,

you can join alumni network simply by exchanging into another school for a semester, it means absolutely nothing. dual degree is another story, it is a legitimate award certification of attending both institutions.

<blockquote>Hi there,

Is there any Alumni who attended CUHK + HEC dual degree program could share their experience. Many thanks!</blockquote>

you can join alumni network simply by exchanging into another school for a semester, it means absolutely nothing. dual degree is another story, it is a legitimate award certification of attending both institutions.

Dear nilankaviil,

Thanks for your reply. Dual Degree is quite a new concept in Asia. I asked some CUHK alumni during info session and it seems that they are also not really familiarize with it. And bad luck that I don't see any Dual Degree Alumni during the info session.

I believe there will be no difference if we only see the certificate, for both normal or dual degree programme. However, I believe a big part for MBA is alumni network and personal branding. Would you please share, how employeer and alumni see people with a dual degree?

1. Will Alumni, who spent all 16 months in HEC, really treat those who only spent 8 months in HEC as part of their network? Or they only treat them as a "stay-longer" exchange student?

2. Will employeer (esp. HR managers) treat a dual degree's value is not any less than a MBA obtained striaghtly from HEC? (Esp. for International Fashion Brand which Headquarters in France)

I think a dual degree, CUHK (China focus) + HEC (Marketing focus) will be a smart move for me, if I could really get into the Alumni network and have same reputation. (lower investment, same value)

Dear nilankaviil,

Thanks for your reply. Dual Degree is quite a new concept in Asia. I asked some CUHK alumni during info session and it seems that they are also not really familiarize with it. And bad luck that I don't see any Dual Degree Alumni during the info session.

I believe there will be no difference if we only see the certificate, for both normal or dual degree programme. However, I believe a big part for MBA is alumni network and personal branding. Would you please share, how employeer and alumni see people with a dual degree?

1. Will Alumni, who spent all 16 months in HEC, really treat those who only spent 8 months in HEC as part of their network? Or they only treat them as a "stay-longer" exchange student?

2. Will employeer (esp. HR managers) treat a dual degree's value is not any less than a MBA obtained striaghtly from HEC? (Esp. for International Fashion Brand which Headquarters in France)

I think a dual degree, CUHK (China focus) + HEC (Marketing focus) will be a smart move for me, if I could really get into the Alumni network and have same reputation. (lower investment, same value)
bianca

Dear nevermind,

I'm currently a student at HEC and I'm enrolled for a double degree next year so I'm familiar with the process.

My personal student impression on how to treat incoming double degree students really depends on them. It's true that when a double degree participant arrives, he'll come only at elective time, when most groups are already formed from the Core phase.

To be honest, the student's belonging to HEC really depends on how the student behaves. There are some double degree students I have never seen (except at their incoming school presentation). In this case it's hard to consider them as more than long term exchange people.

In other cases, I've seen double degree students actively participate in the life of the school and club activities.

Regarding employment, most double degree students coming from Asia don't plan to work in France, primarily because of their French language level.
However, in terms of career, they are treated in exactly the same respect by the career services as other HEC students.

Dear nevermind,

I'm currently a student at HEC and I'm enrolled for a double degree next year so I'm familiar with the process.

My personal student impression on how to treat incoming double degree students really depends on them. It's true that when a double degree participant arrives, he'll come only at elective time, when most groups are already formed from the Core phase.

To be honest, the student's belonging to HEC really depends on how the student behaves. There are some double degree students I have never seen (except at their incoming school presentation). In this case it's hard to consider them as more than long term exchange people.

In other cases, I've seen double degree students actively participate in the life of the school and club activities.

Regarding employment, most double degree students coming from Asia don't plan to work in France, primarily because of their French language level.
However, in terms of career, they are treated in exactly the same respect by the career services as other HEC students.
donho199

bianca argument in itself contains a flaw. Yes, it depends on the individual to take advantage of what they have but what would be the outcome on one person in either of these 2 scenario 1. study at HEC 2. study at CUHK + HEC given that his behaviours will remain quite stable

In order to work in France or China/HK, fluency of local language is a must

bianca argument in itself contains a flaw. Yes, it depends on the individual to take advantage of what they have but what would be the outcome on one person in either of these 2 scenario 1. study at HEC 2. study at CUHK + HEC given that his behaviours will remain quite stable

In order to work in France or China/HK, fluency of local language is a must

Dear Bianca & Donho199,

Thanks very much for your reply.

Bianca -
1st hand information is very important for candidates like me. Thanks very much!

I really want to work in Europe as a brand manager for at least 5-7 years after my MBA studies, and before I go back to Asia.

European brands are always the leader in brand management. Studying in HEC is only a starting point. Having chance to work in France is more important. I believe I should really put some effort on French!

Donho199 -
I have sent an e-mail to a HEC admission officer. According to him, the dual degree certificate will be 100% the same with the single degree certificate.

However, will the employer (esp. European employer) sees they are the same is remaining unsure. The only think I could control is to spend more time on French language before I apply for Dual Degree with HEC. So luck that CUHK students could decide whether to apply or not of the HEC dual degree after 1st year of study.

Dear Bianca & Donho199,

Thanks very much for your reply.

Bianca -
1st hand information is very important for candidates like me. Thanks very much!

I really want to work in Europe as a brand manager for at least 5-7 years after my MBA studies, and before I go back to Asia.

European brands are always the leader in brand management. Studying in HEC is only a starting point. Having chance to work in France is more important. I believe I should really put some effort on French!

Donho199 -
I have sent an e-mail to a HEC admission officer. According to him, the dual degree certificate will be 100% the same with the single degree certificate.

However, will the employer (esp. European employer) sees they are the same is remaining unsure. The only think I could control is to spend more time on French language before I apply for Dual Degree with HEC. So luck that CUHK students could decide whether to apply or not of the HEC dual degree after 1st year of study.
bianca

You need to beef up your French only if you're looking to work in France. Obviously HEC has better connections in France, but also in other European countries. In fact, most of the MBA students don't really speak French.
Donho199 -
Yes, you become a full alumn of the school.
Please note that, unlike exchange, the school takes care of its own admissions. It's very important to note as HEC has to agree independently that you're of the caliber they expect from every school participants. So double degree applicants were effectively admitted independently to both institutions.
If you'd like to work in Europe, I'd advise you to do your 2nd year at HEC. This way you can take advantage of the HEC career services, or simply of your position of being in Europe to get in contact with regional recruiters.
Finding a job in Europe is going to be much easier if you're in Paris than if you're in HK.

<blockquote>I really want to work in Europe as a brand manager for at least 5-7 years after my MBA studies, and before I go back to Asia.

</blockquote>You need to beef up your French only if you're looking to work in France. Obviously HEC has better connections in France, but also in other European countries. In fact, most of the MBA students don't really speak French.
<blockquote>Donho199 -
I have sent an e-mail to a HEC admission officer. According to him, the dual degree certificate will be 100% the same with the single degree certificate. </blockquote>Yes, you become a full alumn of the school.
Please note that, unlike exchange, the school takes care of its own admissions. It's very important to note as HEC has to agree independently that you're of the caliber they expect from every school participants. So double degree applicants were effectively admitted independently to both institutions.
<blockquote>However, will the employer (esp. European employer) sees they are the same is remaining unsure. The only think I could control is to spend more time on French language before I apply for Dual Degree with HEC. So luck that CUHK students could decide whether to apply or not of the HEC dual degree after 1st year of study.
</blockquote>If you'd like to work in Europe, I'd advise you to do your 2nd year at HEC. This way you can take advantage of the HEC career services, or simply of your position of being in Europe to get in contact with regional recruiters.
Finding a job in Europe is going to be much easier if you're in Paris than if you're in HK.

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

Full Profile
Jouy-en-Josas, France 100 Followers 387 Discussions
Hong Kong, Hong Kong (PRC) 20 Followers 77 Discussions

Other Related Content

Sep 11, 2023

The GMAC MBA Tour Lands in Africa Sept. 13-19

News Sep 11, 2023

Hot Discussions