Asian "Ivy League" schools

madhu

The Economist's rankings for Asian schools:

http://mba.eiu.com/index.asp?layout=2002rankings&rank_category_id=20000002&region_id=290000429&x=28&y=1

IVY's of Asia?

CEIBS
Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
Hong Kong, University of
Monash University
Indian Institute of Management - Ahmedabad
Indian School of Business

http://mba.eiu.com/index.asp?layout=2002rankings&rank_category_id=20000002&region_id=290000429&x=28&y=1

IVY's of Asia?

CEIBS
Hong Kong, University of
Monash University

http://mba.eiu.com/index.asp?
layout=2002rankings&rank_category_id
=20000002®ion_id=290000429&x=28&y=1

IVY's of Asia?

CEIBS
Hong Kong, University of
Monash University

This list certainly highlights some of the better Asian B-schools, however just like in the US there is a big difference between them, take Columbia/Wharton vs Cornell for example.

The best of the best in Asia, I think these 3 should be considered the "Ivys" if there could be such a thing.

CEIBS
INSEAD - Singapore
Hong Kong UST

<blockquote>The Economist's rankings for Asian schools:

http://mba.eiu.com/index.asp?
layout=2002rankings&rank_category_id
=20000002®ion_id=290000429&x=28&y=1

IVY's of Asia?

CEIBS
Hong Kong, University of
Monash University
Indian School of Business</blockquote>

This list certainly highlights some of the better Asian B-schools, however just like in the US there is a big difference between them, take Columbia/Wharton vs Cornell for example.

The best of the best in Asia, I think these 3 should be considered the "Ivys" if there could be such a thing.

CEIBS
INSEAD - Singapore
Hong Kong UST
Post MBA

I would certainly agree with having INSEAD on the short list.

Its a great school, but there is a big difference in terms of quality between French and Singapore campuses, you still get the Insead diploma though so for show purposes it might be good, if you are truly looking for Asian MBA i would go to Hong Kong or CEIBS.

<blockquote>I would certainly agree with having INSEAD on the short list. </blockquote>

Its a great school, but there is a big difference in terms of quality between French and Singapore campuses, you still get the Insead diploma though so for show purposes it might be good, if you are truly looking for Asian MBA i would go to Hong Kong or CEIBS.
copernicus

Hong Kong UST #1 in Finance thats for sure.

<blockquote>I would certainly agree with having INSEAD on the short list. </blockquote>

Hong Kong UST #1 in Finance thats for sure.
AnalystNYC

CEIBS
Hong Kong UST
INSEAD - Singapore

These are certainly the top 3 in Asia, depending on what you are looking for the order 1-3 will differ.

CEIBS
Hong Kong UST
INSEAD - Singapore

These are certainly the top 3 in Asia, depending on what you are looking for the order 1-3 will differ.

mbacouger

Its a great school, but there is a big difference in terms of quality between French and Singapore campuses, you still get the Insead diploma though so for show purposes it might be good

I'm not sure where you got this impression. The program is exactly the same between the two INSEAD campuses, and the quality of students and faculty are high in both places. In fact, many students actually spend part of their studies at both campuses, and faculty frequently teach at both campuses.

<blockquote>Its a great school, but there is a big difference in terms of quality between French and Singapore campuses, you still get the Insead diploma though so for show purposes it might be good</blockquote>

I'm not sure where you got this impression. The program is exactly the same between the two INSEAD campuses, and the quality of students and faculty are high in both places. In fact, many students actually spend part of their studies at both campuses, and faculty frequently teach at both campuses.

Its a great school, but there is a big difference in terms of quality between French and Singapore campuses, you still get the Insead diploma though so for show purposes it might be good

Its not even remotely the same. Huge difference in electives/professors at both campuses, not to mention that top profs only teach in France, and make it to Singapore very rarely. Have you seen INSEAD's campus in Singapore,the facilities? When you do it should be clear that INSEAD only keeps this facility "for show" purposes. It certainly gives them a boost in overall international component in rankings.....
You still get the INSEAD diploma so if thats what you are after, then by all means go for it. If you want the true Asian experience with top notch faculty committed to local research, this is not the university to attend.

<blockquote><blockquote>Its a great school, but there is a big difference in terms of quality between French and Singapore campuses, you still get the Insead diploma though so for show purposes it might be good</blockquote>

I'm not sure where you got this impression. The program is exactly the same between the two INSEAD campuses, and the quality of students and faculty are high in both places. In fact, many students actually spend part of their studies at both campuses, and faculty frequently teach at both campuses.</blockquote>

Its not even remotely the same. Huge difference in electives/professors at both campuses, not to mention that top profs only teach in France, and make it to Singapore very rarely. Have you seen INSEAD's campus in Singapore,the facilities? When you do it should be clear that INSEAD only keeps this facility "for show" purposes. It certainly gives them a boost in overall international component in rankings.....
You still get the INSEAD diploma so if thats what you are after, then by all means go for it. If you want the true Asian experience with top notch faculty committed to local research, this is not the university to attend.
kit

Hi all,
Does anyone know how Asia Ivy's compare to U.S. schools when it comes to recruiting in Asia? I ask because I'm weighing MBA program at HKUST vs. international affairs MA with finance concentration at Columbia. I'm interested in working in Asia post grad and wondering how the prospects might compare with each degree. Love to get anyone's thoughts on this.

Hi all,
Does anyone know how Asia Ivy's compare to U.S. schools when it comes to recruiting in Asia? I ask because I'm weighing MBA program at HKUST vs. international affairs MA with finance concentration at Columbia. I'm interested in working in Asia post grad and wondering how the prospects might compare with each degree. Love to get anyone's thoughts on this.

Hi all,

Recruiting works the same everywhere, school submits a book with CVs to employers and whoever they choose gets the interview. Every single reputable Investment Bank looks at them, and if they were not going to speak to you at Columbia they probably will not at HK UST or another school, simply because you do no fit their criteria.

However there is one single huge positive for foreign students going and studying at top Asian schools, and that is the fact that you have arleady made the decison to travel and study over there, it shows them some kind of commitment to Asia. You are not someone with an American or European MBA WHO THINKS they want to go to Asia, and then they change their mind because they dont like the continent. Also while you are studying in Asia you make connections unavailable to you in Europe or US. You are on the ground already speaking to employers, networking and making the best decisions for your future from up close and not thousands of miles away.

<blockquote>Hi all,

</blockquote>

Recruiting works the same everywhere, school submits a book with CVs to employers and whoever they choose gets the interview. Every single reputable Investment Bank looks at them, and if they were not going to speak to you at Columbia they probably will not at HK UST or another school, simply because you do no fit their criteria.

However there is one single huge positive for foreign students going and studying at top Asian schools, and that is the fact that you have arleady made the decison to travel and study over there, it shows them some kind of commitment to Asia. You are not someone with an American or European MBA WHO THINKS they want to go to Asia, and then they change their mind because they dont like the continent. Also while you are studying in Asia you make connections unavailable to you in Europe or US. You are on the ground already speaking to employers, networking and making the best decisions for your future from up close and not thousands of miles away.
AnalystNYC

Hi all,

If this is what it comes down to, HK UST is better for the simple reason that MIA, even though with concentration in Finance is not considered to be a business degree. It would suit you well for the UN or something like that, but even there you will bump into people with PHDs speaking 5 languages. So if you ask me MIA even from Columbia is not the best choice in the business world. To be perfectly honest even an MBA from Columbia gives you the best prospects only if you can graduate in the top 15% of your class! There are thousands of IVY graduates out there looking for the same top jobs, only the best get them!

If you plan on working in Asia, you should be going to school in Asia. It will even help you with interviewing, you will get interviews which normally you would not if you were applying from the US, for the simply fact that you are available to seet them asap, and they dont have to pay for travel expenses.

<blockquote>Hi all,
</blockquote>

If this is what it comes down to, HK UST is better for the simple reason that MIA, even though with concentration in Finance is not considered to be a business degree. It would suit you well for the UN or something like that, but even there you will bump into people with PHDs speaking 5 languages. So if you ask me MIA even from Columbia is not the best choice in the business world. To be perfectly honest even an MBA from Columbia gives you the best prospects only if you can graduate in the top 15% of your class! There are thousands of IVY graduates out there looking for the same top jobs, only the best get them!

If you plan on working in Asia, you should be going to school in Asia. It will even help you with interviewing, you will get interviews which normally you would not if you were applying from the US, for the simply fact that you are available to seet them asap, and they dont have to pay for travel expenses.

kit

Thanks all for the helpful advice. Really appreciate it. One concern was that the Columbia name might carry more weight as an Ivy even though HKUST offers, based on everything I've read and heard, a world-class program. On the flipside, it really is hard to beat actually being in the region to start with.

Thanks all for the helpful advice. Really appreciate it. One concern was that the Columbia name might carry more weight as an Ivy even though HKUST offers, based on everything I've read and heard, a world-class program. On the flipside, it really is hard to beat actually being in the region to start with.
copernicus

Hi all,

this is exactly why I will be pursuing MBA in Asia and not in the US. Allow me to paint a short scenario.. Hr at Goldman, Morgan, etc gets 1000 resumes, 700 of them from IVYs, how many of them do you think will get to interview? Now as someone with a top Asian MBA I will be "different" in that pile of CVs and I am much more likely to get that interview over many IVY league graduates. So in this regard I strongly think that a top notch MBA from Asia works well if someone wants to work on Wall Street or in Asia, and that theory should hold even better in the future as Asian schools close the quality gap.

<blockquote><blockquote>Hi all,
</blockquote>

</blockquote>

this is exactly why I will be pursuing MBA in Asia and not in the US. Allow me to paint a short scenario.. Hr at Goldman, Morgan, etc gets 1000 resumes, 700 of them from IVYs, how many of them do you think will get to interview? Now as someone with a top Asian MBA I will be "different" in that pile of CVs and I am much more likely to get that interview over many IVY league graduates. So in this regard I strongly think that a top notch MBA from Asia works well if someone wants to work on Wall Street or in Asia, and that theory should hold even better in the future as Asian schools close the quality gap.
F1Sing

CEIBS
Hong Kong UST
INSEAD - Singapore

INSEAD-Singapore is not a good university. As someone living in Singapore I tell you they are not well respected around here.

<blockquote>
CEIBS
Hong Kong UST
INSEAD - Singapore

</blockquote>

INSEAD-Singapore is not a good university. As someone living in Singapore I tell you they are not well respected around here.
F1Sing

this link provides informaton on INSEAD-Singapore.
http://www.find-mba.com/board/4345

<blockquote><blockquote>Its a great school, but there is a big difference in terms of quality between French and Singapore campuses, you still get the Insead diploma though so for show purposes it might be good</blockquote>

I'm not sure where you got this impression. The program is exactly the same between the two INSEAD campuses, and the quality of students and faculty are high in both places. In fact, many students actually spend part of their studies at both campuses, and faculty frequently teach at both campuses.</blockquote>

this link provides informaton on INSEAD-Singapore.
http://www.find-mba.com/board/4345
MBA_HK

interesting title for this discussion but not much substance following it.. Asian schools are known for their specialties, CEIBS and INSEAD management, HOng Kong UST finance...

NUS has recently upped its MBA marketing but it lags very much behind the two prior mentioned schools. ISB and IIM are too India specific in my opinion.

i think the only two right now, deserving the "ivy league" status would be CEIBS and Hong Kong UST, as Insead is not an Asian school despite its presence in Singapore.

interesting title for this discussion but not much substance following it.. Asian schools are known for their specialties, CEIBS and INSEAD management, HOng Kong UST finance...

NUS has recently upped its MBA marketing but it lags very much behind the two prior mentioned schools. ISB and IIM are too India specific in my opinion.

i think the only two right now, deserving the "ivy league" status would be CEIBS and Hong Kong UST, as Insead is not an Asian school despite its presence in Singapore.

INSEAD is a lousy school. Fising and Globe trotter are all correct. Don't go to INSEAD and waste your money.

One one school in Asia is better than HKUS and that is Sri Lanka Sirinayakathunge school of management. Better facilities than HKUS.

Actually INSEAD rejected these guys because they're too good for the school. Listen to them.

INSEAD is a lousy school. Fising and Globe trotter are all correct. Don't go to INSEAD and waste your money.

One one school in Asia is better than HKUS and that is Sri Lanka Sirinayakathunge school of management. Better facilities than HKUS.

Actually INSEAD rejected these guys because they're too good for the school. Listen to them.
Malia

What are you talking about. That place in Sri Lanka does not even exist: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Sirinayakathunge&btnG=Google+Search

And who cares about facilities...

<blockquote>One one school in Asia is better than HKUS and that is Sri Lanka Sirinayakathunge school of management. Better facilities than HKUS.</blockquote>

What are you talking about. That place in Sri Lanka does not even exist: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Sirinayakathunge&btnG=Google+Search

And who cares about facilities...
valentino

is hong kong university competitive with hong kong ust? also how does it compare with CEIBS?

is hong kong university competitive with hong kong ust? also how does it compare with CEIBS?
copernicus

Hong Kong University is old and prestigious in everything but business. Their b-school is relatively new. On a side note I read this...

excerpt from study done by Whitfield consulting group in \'06.
Quoting:

\"The event, which has made the largest impact on business education in Hong Kong was the sudden announcement the both HKU and HKST are in the process of discussing a merger. They are currently engaged on studying the feasibility of establishing a world-class business school to be called Hong Kong Business School.
Recently in their joint-announcements, both deans only had praise for each other\'s academic institutions. K.C. Chan, dean of HKUST remarked that HKU Business School has a long cherished tradition, a strong alumni-base and high-quality faculty.

It has a wonderful reputation in economics, finance and business strategy, and its IMBA programme in Shanghai has received great acclaim.\"

Reciprocating the complement, Yue-Chim Richard Wong dean of Business and Economics at HKU returned the compliment by saying:

\'HKUST Business School is renowned for its excellence in research and management education. It has achieved global recognition particularly through MBA, Executive MBA and executive education programmes and is distinguished in many areas, including international experience and diversity.\'

The market is waiting how the local business schools can show the way. This year, HKU obtained EQUIS accreditation.\"

<blockquote>is hong kong university competitive with hong kong ust? also how does it compare with CEIBS? </blockquote>

Hong Kong University is old and prestigious in everything but business. Their b-school is relatively new. On a side note I read this...

excerpt from study done by Whitfield consulting group in \'06.
Quoting:

\"The event, which has made the largest impact on business education in Hong Kong was the sudden announcement the both HKU and HKST are in the process of discussing a merger. They are currently engaged on studying the feasibility of establishing a world-class business school to be called Hong Kong Business School.
Recently in their joint-announcements, both deans only had praise for each other\'s academic institutions. K.C. Chan, dean of HKUST remarked that HKU Business School has a long cherished tradition, a strong alumni-base and high-quality faculty.

It has a wonderful reputation in economics, finance and business strategy, and its IMBA programme in Shanghai has received great acclaim.\"

Reciprocating the complement, Yue-Chim Richard Wong dean of Business and Economics at HKU returned the compliment by saying:

\'HKUST Business School is renowned for its excellence in research and management education. It has achieved global recognition particularly through MBA, Executive MBA and executive education programmes and is distinguished in many areas, including international experience and diversity.\'

The market is waiting how the local business schools can show the way. This year, HKU obtained EQUIS accreditation.\"

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

Victoria, Australia 11 Followers 28 Discussions
Makati City, Philippines 11 Followers 19 Discussions
Hong Kong, Hong Kong (PRC) 43 Followers 85 Discussions
Ahmedabad, India 11 Followers 78 Discussions
Hyderabad, India 22 Followers 86 Discussions
Singapore 33 Followers 171 Discussions
Carlton, Australia 54 Followers 96 Discussions
Hong Kong, Hong Kong (PRC) 20 Followers 77 Discussions
Hong Kong, Hong Kong (PRC) 31 Followers 162 Discussions
Beijing, China 6 Followers 102 Discussions