Accreditation

gsmba

Temple University MBA in Japan

Temple University MBA in Japan
gsmba

Why some people attend MBA program at non accredited school in Japan?

Why some people attend MBA program at non accredited school in Japan?
Duncan

Well, Temple is a US university and it has accreditation in the US from an American organisation. Japanese universities have some really impressive graduate business schools, including Keio, Waseda and Hitotsubashi. No-one in Japan doubts the quality of those schools and they are not especially interested in recruiting foreign students, since managers in Japan really need to speak Japanese. Why should they get accredited in the US?

Oh, and how come all your posts are about how great Temple is?

Well, Temple is a US university and it has accreditation in the US from an American organisation. Japanese universities have some really impressive graduate business schools, including Keio, Waseda and Hitotsubashi. No-one in Japan doubts the quality of those schools and they are not especially interested in recruiting foreign students, since managers in Japan really need to speak Japanese. Why should they get accredited in the US?

Oh, and how come all your posts are about how great Temple is?
gsmba

Dear Duncan, thank you for your reply. I hear good things about Temple from people I know and that's why it may have sounded like I'm speaking great about the school.

I Know that less and less number of Japanese study in US (both at undergrad and grad program including MBA) and I wondered if the trend coincide with Japanese government allowed Japanese universities setup MBA program. So, maybe some Japanese stop going to US business schools...

Dear Duncan, thank you for your reply. I hear good things about Temple from people I know and that's why it may have sounded like I'm speaking great about the school.

I Know that less and less number of Japanese study in US (both at undergrad and grad program including MBA) and I wondered if the trend coincide with Japanese government allowed Japanese universities setup MBA program. So, maybe some Japanese stop going to US business schools...
Duncan

I think the key issue is recession: studying in the USA is much more expensive than studying in Japan. Most Japanese people want to live and work in Japan, and the cost of study in the USA is rising very fast. That makes is much less attractive, especially when the US economy is not going so well. Of course the other factor is language: Japanese people don't tend to be fluent in English, so there's much more demand for MBA teaching in Japanese. Finally, I think Japan is a place where people tend to do their MBAs full-time, so a part-time MBA like Temple will appeal to a niche in the market.

I think the key issue is recession: studying in the USA is much more expensive than studying in Japan. Most Japanese people want to live and work in Japan, and the cost of study in the USA is rising very fast. That makes is much less attractive, especially when the US economy is not going so well. Of course the other factor is language: Japanese people don't tend to be fluent in English, so there's much more demand for MBA teaching in Japanese. Finally, I think Japan is a place where people tend to do their MBAs full-time, so a part-time MBA like Temple will appeal to a niche in the market.

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

Yokohama Kanagawa, Japan 14 Followers 9 Discussions
Tokyo, Japan 18 Followers 9 Discussions
Tokyo, Japan 10 Followers 6 Discussions

Other Related Content

MBA Programs in Japan: A Shifting Attitude

Article Oct 24, 2016

Historically, the Japanese business world has scorned MBAs. But that may be changing.