Too old?

Hi everybody,

I am aiming to do an MBA in 2016. My background is in publishing, but I worked crap jobs for a long time. It's only recently (the past two years) that I've gotten any managerial and leadership experience at all. I would like to build on this experience with an MBA, and then transition, most likely out of the publishing business into a marketing-oriented role where I'd have more upward mobility. At the same time, I'd like to transition, from the UK to Canada.

The main issue that I see with my profile is that at close to 40 I'm substantially older than a lot of the people who do MBAs.

I'm basically looking for candid advice on whether an MBA would suit my career goals now.

I'm ready to put a lot of time into studying for the GMAT (which I need a lot of help on, based on my practice test performance!)

If I did this I would like to do it right, and get into a top school like Schulich, Rotman, or McGill. If my chances, based on my age and background, were slim at this tier of business school, I'd probably not do an MBA.

Hi everybody,

I am aiming to do an MBA in 2016. My background is in publishing, but I worked crap jobs for a long time. It's only recently (the past two years) that I've gotten any managerial and leadership experience at all. I would like to build on this experience with an MBA, and then transition, most likely out of the publishing business into a marketing-oriented role where I'd have more upward mobility. At the same time, I'd like to transition, from the UK to Canada.

The main issue that I see with my profile is that at close to 40 I'm substantially older than a lot of the people who do MBAs.

I'm basically looking for candid advice on whether an MBA would suit my career goals now.

I'm ready to put a lot of time into studying for the GMAT (which I need a lot of help on, based on my practice test performance!)

If I did this I would like to do it right, and get into a top school like Schulich, Rotman, or McGill. If my chances, based on my age and background, were slim at this tier of business school, I'd probably not do an MBA.
Duncan

I think you'll be fine. Your UK work experience will be highly valued in Canada.

I think you'll be fine. Your UK work experience will be highly valued in Canada.
Razors Edg...

I doubt that your age will handicap you. It's true that MBA programs usually recruit younger people, but that's because the people who generally apply to these programs are in their late-20s and early-30s. However, business schools like to have a range of students in their cohorts, and some will even recruit people who are older than you.

I'd advise you to think about your career goals, and get ready to clearly articulate them in your application letters and interviews. Think about how each program would help you get to the next stage of your career.

I doubt that your age will handicap you. It's true that MBA programs usually recruit younger people, but that's because the people who generally apply to these programs are in their late-20s and early-30s. However, business schools like to have a range of students in their cohorts, and some will even recruit people who are older than you.

I'd advise you to think about your career goals, and get ready to clearly articulate them in your application letters and interviews. Think about how each program would help you get to the next stage of your career.

Thank you so much for your advice. It's a bit reassuring to be sure! Now, to invest some time in studying for the GMAT...

Thank you so much for your advice. It's a bit reassuring to be sure! Now, to invest some time in studying for the GMAT...

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

Montréal, Canada 55 Followers 85 Discussions
Toronto, Canada 86 Followers 112 Discussions
Toronto, Canada 77 Followers 115 Discussions

Other Related Content

Sep 11, 2023

The GMAC MBA Tour Lands in Africa Sept. 13-19

News Sep 11, 2023

Am I Too Old for an MBA?

Article Sep 19, 2016

Admissions directors say you're never too old to pursue an MBA-- but older students will have some convincing to do to prove they belong in a full-time program.