MBA in Canada - Worth It?

Mengyao

I was wondering if anybody had any advice for me...

I am a Chinese national currently living in Canada on a temporary work assignment. My visa is over, and I am starting to think about doing an MBA here, because I like the country and would like to stay here long-term.

My question is, if I can't afford to do an MBA at Ryerson/Schulich/McGill/Sauder - would it still be worth it? I've had my eye on Ryerson, for instance.

I was wondering if anybody had any advice for me...

I am a Chinese national currently living in Canada on a temporary work assignment. My visa is over, and I am starting to think about doing an MBA here, because I like the country and would like to stay here long-term.

My question is, if I can't afford to do an MBA at Ryerson/Schulich/McGill/Sauder - would it still be worth it? I've had my eye on Ryerson, for instance.
Duncan

I think that depends on your goals and your options back home. Most students in your position would find it a great investment to get into the best school possible.

I think that depends on your goals and your options back home. Most students in your position would find it a great investment to get into the best school possible.
ralph

I would ask the career services departments at these schools about what kinds of jobs students in your position tend to get after graduation.

My guess is that the graduates from the ranked schools: Schulich, McGill, Rotman, etc. will have much better outcomes than those from the unranked schools. It's great that it's so easy to get a visa post-MBA in Canada, but how valuable will that be if you end up with a low-paying job?

I would ask the career services departments at these schools about what kinds of jobs students in your position tend to get after graduation.

My guess is that the graduates from the ranked schools: Schulich, McGill, Rotman, etc. will have much better outcomes than those from the unranked schools. It's great that it's so easy to get a visa post-MBA in Canada, but how valuable will that be if you end up with a low-paying job?
Mengyao

Thank you. I guess you are right. I was simply looking for a cost effective way to be able to stay here on a more permanent basis, and advance in my career at the same time. So do you think that Ryerson graduates who are from other countries have a hard time finding good jobs after they are done with the MBA?

Thank you. I guess you are right. I was simply looking for a cost effective way to be able to stay here on a more permanent basis, and advance in my career at the same time. So do you think that Ryerson graduates who are from other countries have a hard time finding good jobs after they are done with the MBA?

So what you are saying is that if you're from outside of the country it's not worth doing an MBA from a business school that's not ranked? It's hard to believe that there's no value in an MBA from a school like Ryerson or McMaster.

<blockquote>
My guess is that the graduates from the ranked schools: Schulich, McGill, Rotman, etc. will have much better outcomes than those from the unranked schools. It's great that it's so easy to get a visa post-MBA in Canada, but how valuable will that be if you end up with a low-paying job?</blockquote>
So what you are saying is that if you're from outside of the country it's not worth doing an MBA from a business school that's not ranked? It's hard to believe that there's no value in an MBA from a school like Ryerson or McMaster.
ralph

No, these are internationally-accredited MBA programs, so the ultimate value lies in the world-class business education that they provide.

But if you are looking to leverage your MBA program to land a job in Canada after you graduate, it is possible, but it will be much harder than if you do an MBA from a ranked school.

Keep in mind that different people have different goals. An international student who wanted to go back to her home country after graduation could definitely have a great experience at a school like Ryerson, no doubt about that.

No, these are internationally-accredited MBA programs, so the ultimate value lies in the world-class business education that they provide.

But if you are looking to leverage your MBA program to land a job in Canada after you graduate, it is possible, but it will be much harder than if you do an MBA from a ranked school.

Keep in mind that different people have different goals. An international student who wanted to go back to her home country after graduation could definitely have a great experience at a school like Ryerson, no doubt about that.

Oh ok, I see. Yes, I am interested in an MBA program that could help me with a job in the country. I will try to aim higher then.

Oh ok, I see. Yes, I am interested in an MBA program that could help me with a job in the country. I will try to aim higher then.
ralph

Go with the best school that you can get into. And it never hurts to touch base with the business schools themselves, to see if they can offer you general insight on potential post-MBA careers for international students. Good luck.

Go with the best school that you can get into. And it never hurts to touch base with the business schools themselves, to see if they can offer you general insight on potential post-MBA careers for international students. Good luck.

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

Montréal, Canada 55 Followers 85 Discussions
Toronto, Canada 87 Followers 112 Discussions
Vancouver, Canada 61 Followers 97 Discussions
Toronto, Canada 53 Followers 66 Discussions

Other Related Content

Sep 11, 2023

The GMAC MBA Tour Lands in Africa Sept. 13-19

News Sep 11, 2023

5 Questions for an MBA student in Canada—Anand Inbasekaran

Article May 26, 2015

Anand Inbasekaran, an Indian-born MBA student in Canada, discusses his experiences at Toronto - Rotman and his transition from software development to consulting

Hot Discussions