MBA Canada, low GMAT but older candidate

I got a very bad score on the GMAT... 580. I would like to my MBA at a business school in Canada but I think the score is too low? Would there be any leeway for an older candidate (40), where they would look at my work experience instead of the GMAT score?

I got a very bad score on the GMAT... 580. I would like to my MBA at a business school in Canada but I think the score is too low? Would there be any leeway for an older candidate (40), where they would look at my work experience instead of the GMAT score?
Inactive User

I would talk to the schools and ask them directly, but I doubt it. The GMAT is one of the key performance indicators for how well you'll succeed in an MBA program, and a low score would probably raise some red flags in terms of your capacity for analytical work.

Just to give you a sense of the competitiveness, schools like Concordia and Ryerson have average GMATs of around 620, while at ranked schools like Schulich, Rotman, and McGill it tends to be 660+.

You might be competitive at unranked but accredited programs offered by regionally-oriented schools like Memorial University of Newfoundland or St. Mary's.

I would talk to the schools and ask them directly, but I doubt it. The GMAT is one of the key performance indicators for how well you'll succeed in an MBA program, and a low score would probably raise some red flags in terms of your capacity for analytical work.

Just to give you a sense of the competitiveness, schools like Concordia and Ryerson have average GMATs of around 620, while at ranked schools like Schulich, Rotman, and McGill it tends to be 660+.

You might be competitive at unranked but accredited programs offered by regionally-oriented schools like Memorial University of Newfoundland or St. Mary's.

Thank you for your advice. I have not heard about Memorial University of Newfoundland or St. Mary's... Are these good schools?

Thank you for your advice. I have not heard about Memorial University of Newfoundland or St. Mary's... Are these good schools?
Inactive User

Depends on what your definition of "good" is. They're both AACSB-accredited, so you can be assured that they'll provide a solid education. But my sense is that if they'll leave a lot to be desired in terms of career placement services, especially if you are an international student who's hoping to work in the country after graduation. For more robust career services and better relationships with employers who hire MBAs, you'd be better off with a ranked program.

Depends on what your definition of "good" is. They're both AACSB-accredited, so you can be assured that they'll provide a solid education. But my sense is that if they'll leave a lot to be desired in terms of career placement services, especially if you are an international student who's hoping to work in the country after graduation. For more robust career services and better relationships with employers who hire MBAs, you'd be better off with a ranked program.

I will be an international student and I do have the goal of working in Canada after the MBA. I guess that I should take the GMAT again. It's not something I want to do but it sounds like it is necessary.

I will be an international student and I do have the goal of working in Canada after the MBA. I guess that I should take the GMAT again. It's not something I want to do but it sounds like it is necessary.
dody

Dear Sir
First, I would like to illustrate to you my situation to be able to best suggest me
I Have university commerce Bachelor degree from Egypt, with 78% grade Good, 1999 with almost 10 Y. banking experience and 5 Years Accounting exp. , and recently obtained American CMA
I will move to Canada this year “immigration to Quebec or Toronto” and would like to pursue my career there by taking MBA from accredited university with 1 to 1.5 year full-time in ENGLISH language, as it is sounds like necessary for living in Canada
1. Which university/business school do you suggest ? Do you suggest to make it in specialized field (like aerospace, health care) or it is better to take it in finance or management in general
2. I also have a problem with getting overall band of 7 or above in IELTS, and GMAT with over 600 …. And do you suggest me taking GRE or GMAT (in “Difficulty level ” and “mostly required” aspect)
3. And Is there any available and suitable scholarships to such my case ? even with half fund
So, what do you advise me ??
Appreciate your utmost efforts to tailor something suitable to my case
Thanks in advance
Andew

Dear Sir
First, I would like to illustrate to you my situation to be able to best suggest me
I Have university commerce Bachelor degree from Egypt, with 78% grade Good, 1999 with almost 10 Y. banking experience and 5 Years Accounting exp. , and recently obtained American CMA
I will move to Canada this year “immigration to Quebec or Toronto” and would like to pursue my career there by taking MBA from accredited university with 1 to 1.5 year full-time in ENGLISH language, as it is sounds like necessary for living in Canada
1. Which university/business school do you suggest ? Do you suggest to make it in specialized field (like aerospace, health care) or it is better to take it in finance or management in general
2. I also have a problem with getting overall band of 7 or above in IELTS, and GMAT with over 600 …. And do you suggest me taking GRE or GMAT (in “Difficulty level ” and “mostly required” aspect)
3. And Is there any available and suitable scholarships to such my case ? even with half fund
So, what do you advise me ??
Appreciate your utmost efforts to tailor something suitable to my case
Thanks in advance
Andew
Inactive User

Hi Andew,

There's a lot of good info on some other discussion threads, so I suggest you do a bit of research. In general, though:

- the best full-time MBA programs in Québec or in Toronto -- McGill, Schulich, Rotman -- are two-year programs.
- there are a few unranked MBA programs, like HEC Montréal and Ryerson, that are one or 1.5 years long. These will not have, for the most part, the same kind of career growth that the ranked programs will provide.
- yes, you should take the GMAT. Score as high as you can.
- if you want to work in Montréal or especially Québec more broadly, you're most likely going to need French language skills.
- for scholarship info you'll have to check with the schools.

Hi Andew,

There's a lot of good info on some other discussion threads, so I suggest you do a bit of research. In general, though:

- the best full-time MBA programs in Québec or in Toronto -- McGill, Schulich, Rotman -- are two-year programs.
- there are a few unranked MBA programs, like HEC Montréal and Ryerson, that are one or 1.5 years long. These will not have, for the most part, the same kind of career growth that the ranked programs will provide.
- yes, you should take the GMAT. Score as high as you can.
- if you want to work in Montréal or especially Québec more broadly, you're most likely going to need French language skills.
- for scholarship info you'll have to check with the schools.
Duncan

HEC Montréal is well ranked for the MSc, and forbes has ranked its MBA very well. It think the MBA is too small for the FT ranking, but it's great choice if you speak French. However, they would look at an MBA candidate more favourable with a GMAT score around 650. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HEC_Montr%C3%A9al#World_rankings_and_distinctions

[Edited by Duncan on Feb 23, 2015]

HEC Montréal is well ranked for the MSc, and forbes has ranked its MBA very well. It think the MBA is too small for the FT ranking, but it's great choice if you speak French. However, they would look at an MBA candidate more favourable with a GMAT score around 650. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HEC_Montr%C3%A9al#World_rankings_and_distinctions
Inactive User

Good point. Yes, the HEC program is good if you speak French. You can actually do the MBA in French as well.

Good point. Yes, the HEC program is good if you speak French. You can actually do the MBA in French as well.
dody

Dear Mr.Duncan
Appreciate your feedback
I checked HEC montreal and they have full time mba for 1 year ...
http://www.hec.ca/en/programs_training/mba/paths/index.html
Do you think it is good for a start ?
Dear Mr. MBA hipster
Appreciate your feedback
I think you mentioned before in another discussion that HEC montreal is accredited by 2 accredential bodies
Dears
What do you think is most suitable to my situation? taking MBA or executive MBA as I emailed before Queen school with my profile and they stated that I'm overqualified to normal MBA and they are more suitable to accept me at executive MBA .... But it is more expensive ??!! what do you think

Dear Mr.Duncan
Appreciate your feedback
I checked HEC montreal and they have full time mba for 1 year ...
http://www.hec.ca/en/programs_training/mba/paths/index.html
Do you think it is good for a start ?
Dear Mr. MBA hipster
Appreciate your feedback
I think you mentioned before in another discussion that HEC montreal is accredited by 2 accredential bodies
Dears
What do you think is most suitable to my situation? taking MBA or executive MBA as I emailed before Queen school with my profile and they stated that I'm overqualified to normal MBA and they are more suitable to accept me at executive MBA .... But it is more expensive ??!! what do you think
Duncan

In your position, I would clarify what sort of access I could get to careers services at Queens. The Queen's MBA has some advantages: you could start work at any time. You get great coaching, and I think that is very important. The qualification is equally respected. However, in a virtual and boardroom setting the educational experience is different. In a full-time programme you might have a more intensive and richer MBA experience, and have much more of the interactions with employers you want. Personally, I would choose HEC and also invest in an intensive French course. That will really allow you to get the best possible MBA experience and have a more structured and better-supported hunt for work. Focus on your French languages skills as much as you can, and especially on accent reduction and accuracy.

In your position, I would clarify what sort of access I could get to careers services at Queens. The Queen's MBA has some advantages: you could start work at any time. You get great coaching, and I think that is very important. The qualification is equally respected. However, in a virtual and boardroom setting the educational experience is different. In a full-time programme you might have a more intensive and richer MBA experience, and have much more of the interactions with employers you want. Personally, I would choose HEC and also invest in an intensive French course. That will really allow you to get the best possible MBA experience and have a more structured and better-supported hunt for work. Focus on your French languages skills as much as you can, and especially on accent reduction and accuracy.

I suggest re-taking the GMAT. I scored 580 at first but after I studied for a couple months was able to land a 680... It's not hard it's just a matter of putting in the time to study and making sure that you address your weaknesses.

I suggest re-taking the GMAT. I scored 580 at first but after I studied for a couple months was able to land a 680... It's not hard it's just a matter of putting in the time to study and making sure that you address your weaknesses.

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

Montréal, Canada 55 Followers 85 Discussions
Toronto, Canada 77 Followers 115 Discussions
Montréal, Canada 66 Followers 58 Discussions
St. John's, Canada 38 Followers 15 Discussions
Halifax, Canada 16 Followers 15 Discussions
Toronto, Canada 53 Followers 66 Discussions

Other Related Content

Sep 11, 2023

The GMAC MBA Tour Lands in Africa Sept. 13-19

News Sep 11, 2023

MBA Programs in Canada: Increasingly Attractive for International Students

Article May 13, 2019

Internationals are attracted by the progressive immigration policies and an environment that is welcoming of foreigners

Top MBA Programs for a 620 GMAT Score

Top List

These are the 10 best MBA programs for candidates with a 620 GMAT score (or thereabouts).