COPPEAD -

Inactive User

I'm applying to COPPEAD for the full-time MBA program beginning in 2015 and I'm trying to figure out if my GMAT of 660 is competitive enough. A minimum 550 GMAT is required to apply and the selection process as described in their public notice is quite straightforward: http://www.coppead.ufrj.br/upload/documentos/Edital_PublicNotice2015.pdf. If I understand correctly, the highest 75 ANPAD scores and highest 75 GMAT scores, after multiplication by a factor determined by a candidate's work experience (1.0 for zero years, 1.15 for <3 years, 1.3 for 3 years and greater) comprise the initial list of 150 candidates eligible for admission. Vacancies are assigned to the highest ANPAD, then highest GMAT, then second highest ANPAD, then second highest GMAT, and so on (with tiebreaker rules favoring greater work experience and higher age, in that order) until all 50 seats have been filled.

I have combed the internet extensively, and fruitlessly, trying to get any data at all on the range of GMAT scores that have been accepted in the past at COPPEAD. Understandably, this English language program is going into it's second year next year, so that could explain the lack of abundance of GMAT statistics. I understand that the school is one of the best in South America and when I attended an info session there I liked the atmosphere and overall attitude, at least for what I was able to sense in about three hours. I'd like to attend this school, and I think I might have a good chance to get on the list, but if I do my concern is that I could get bumped out by 25 people scoring 670+. (I'm just assuming that everyone, including myself, will have 3+ years of experience) However, if that happens, that would likely put the GMAT stats of COPPEAD in the company of Tier 1 or Tier 2 schools (per Duncan criteria). Is that plausible and do I stand a decent chance with my 660 score? Thanks in advance.

I'm applying to COPPEAD for the full-time MBA program beginning in 2015 and I'm trying to figure out if my GMAT of 660 is competitive enough. A minimum 550 GMAT is required to apply and the selection process as described in their public notice is quite straightforward: http://www.coppead.ufrj.br/upload/documentos/Edital_PublicNotice2015.pdf. If I understand correctly, the highest 75 ANPAD scores and highest 75 GMAT scores, after multiplication by a factor determined by a candidate's work experience (1.0 for zero years, 1.15 for <3 years, 1.3 for 3 years and greater) comprise the initial list of 150 candidates eligible for admission. Vacancies are assigned to the highest ANPAD, then highest GMAT, then second highest ANPAD, then second highest GMAT, and so on (with tiebreaker rules favoring greater work experience and higher age, in that order) until all 50 seats have been filled.

I have combed the internet extensively, and fruitlessly, trying to get any data at all on the range of GMAT scores that have been accepted in the past at COPPEAD. Understandably, this English language program is going into it's second year next year, so that could explain the lack of abundance of GMAT statistics. I understand that the school is one of the best in South America and when I attended an info session there I liked the atmosphere and overall attitude, at least for what I was able to sense in about three hours. I'd like to attend this school, and I think I might have a good chance to get on the list, but if I do my concern is that I could get bumped out by 25 people scoring 670+. (I'm just assuming that everyone, including myself, will have 3+ years of experience) However, if that happens, that would likely put the GMAT stats of COPPEAD in the company of Tier 1 or Tier 2 schools (per Duncan criteria). Is that plausible and do I stand a decent chance with my 660 score? Thanks in advance.
ralph

It sounds like your understanding of the selection process is right, although it does feel a little convoluted to me. Perhaps you should connect with the school? They might give you a better sense of the process, as well as the interest they received for the first intake...

My sense is that if Coppead is still offering the program for free next year, there's going to be a lot of competition for those seats...

It sounds like your understanding of the selection process is right, although it does feel a little convoluted to me. Perhaps you should connect with the school? They might give you a better sense of the process, as well as the interest they received for the first intake...

My sense is that if Coppead is still offering the program for free next year, there's going to be a lot of competition for those seats...
Inactive User

I'll shoot the school an email and let the 660 ride. I'm more curious than anything else; I don't intend on retaking the GMAT. Hopefully it works out. Thanks, Ralph.

I'll shoot the school an email and let the 660 ride. I'm more curious than anything else; I don't intend on retaking the GMAT. Hopefully it works out. Thanks, Ralph.
Inactive User

The COPPEAD Graduate School of Business is one of the leading centers for advanced studies and research in business education in South America. Located in the heart of Rio de Janeiro, COPPEAD renowned MBA was the first full-time program based on international business education best practices created in Brazil. for more information about COPPEAD check this http://globalpmba.robinson.gsu.edu/about/about-partners/coppead-graduate-school-of-business/

The COPPEAD Graduate School of Business is one of the leading centers for advanced studies and research in business education in South America. Located in the heart of Rio de Janeiro, COPPEAD renowned MBA was the first full-time program based on international business education best practices created in Brazil. for more information about COPPEAD check this http://globalpmba.robinson.gsu.edu/about/about-partners/coppead-graduate-school-of-business/

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

Rio de Janeiro - RJ, Brazil 7 Followers 18 Discussions

Other Related Content

MBA Programs in Emerging Markets: Brazil

Article Jul 13, 2009

Breakneck economic growth is drawing international students to Brazil for business school. What can they expect?

Hot Discussions