Canada EMBAs

Hello - I'm seriously interested in doing an EMBA. I live in Edmonton, and often do business in Calgary so I was looking at the Haskayne/Alberta EMBA program, which looks pretty ideal, from a convenience standpoint.

However, if I moved a few things around I could pull off the Kellogg/Schulich program, which has weekend classes in Toronto. It wouldn't exactly be easy for me, and would come at a substantial cost to my business over the next two years, but if it was worth it over the long run I would consider it.

I'm sort of torn about this decision - is anybody else considering either of these programs?

Hello - I'm seriously interested in doing an EMBA. I live in Edmonton, and often do business in Calgary so I was looking at the Haskayne/Alberta EMBA program, which looks pretty ideal, from a convenience standpoint.

However, if I moved a few things around I could pull off the Kellogg/Schulich program, which has weekend classes in Toronto. It wouldn't exactly be easy for me, and would come at a substantial cost to my business over the next two years, but if it was worth it over the long run I would consider it.

I'm sort of torn about this decision - is anybody else considering either of these programs?
Razors Edg...

I think it really depends on what your career goals are, and what your current position is. As far as the curriculum goes, both feature the standard EMBA fare - leadership/strategy courses - although it looks like the Haskayne/Alberta program has a slightly stronger focus in analysis and other quantitative subjects. (I just saw that they're now offering a data modeling course.)

In terms of networking, the work experience levels of the cohorts are broadly similar, although the Kellogg/Schulich program usually draws a slightly more executive-level and internationally-facing group. I would check with each school to see if your profile and expectations would fit.

Both are good programs though!

I think it really depends on what your career goals are, and what your current position is. As far as the curriculum goes, both feature the standard EMBA fare - leadership/strategy courses - although it looks like the Haskayne/Alberta program has a slightly stronger focus in analysis and other quantitative subjects. (I just saw that they're now offering a data modeling course.)

In terms of networking, the work experience levels of the cohorts are broadly similar, although the Kellogg/Schulich program usually draws a slightly more executive-level and internationally-facing group. I would check with each school to see if your profile and expectations would fit.

Both are good programs though!

Thank you for the insightful comments. I run my own company (a mid-sized e-business) and my goals would be the following:

-to improve my strategic skills, especially when it comes to international expansion and sourcing (I increasingly deal with companies in China)
-to realize new revenue streams in an increasingly competitive space
-to better understand finance (a weak point in my management arsenal)

Would either of these programs be substantially better than the others, keeping in mind my original specs?

Also, what do you think of the Ivey EMBA program?

Thank you for the insightful comments. I run my own company (a mid-sized e-business) and my goals would be the following:

-to improve my strategic skills, especially when it comes to international expansion and sourcing (I increasingly deal with companies in China)
-to realize new revenue streams in an increasingly competitive space
-to better understand finance (a weak point in my management arsenal)

Would either of these programs be substantially better than the others, keeping in mind my original specs?

Also, what do you think of the Ivey EMBA program?
Razors Edg...

I think the Haskayne/Alberta program offers a few more specifically relevant courses - like management of technology and innovation courses, but it may turn out that you just need the higher-level courses - which are provided by both programs. Both also have curriculum in international business, study trips, etc.

The Ivey program is also good - but the schedule is a bit trickier for working professionals - with week-long residency sessions, longer weekends, etc. I would think that the other Toronto program you're looking at would be the better option.

I think the Haskayne/Alberta program offers a few more specifically relevant courses - like management of technology and innovation courses, but it may turn out that you just need the higher-level courses - which are provided by both programs. Both also have curriculum in international business, study trips, etc.

The Ivey program is also good - but the schedule is a bit trickier for working professionals - with week-long residency sessions, longer weekends, etc. I would think that the other Toronto program you're looking at would be the better option.
Inactive User

The Alberta/Haskayne program has dropped over 50 spots in the FT EMBA ranking since 2010. Not saying that you should base your decision on the rankings, but just something to be aware of. I think it's mostly due to the drop in average salaries over the past few years.

The Alberta/Haskayne program has dropped over 50 spots in the FT EMBA ranking since 2010. Not saying that you should base your decision on the rankings, but just something to be aware of. I think it's mostly due to the drop in average salaries over the past few years.

Finally getting back around to looking into EMBAs again, after some busy times at work and then the holidays. Thank you both for your help with this - I think I'm going to actually aim higher and try to pull off the Kellogg/Schulich EMBA - it seems like a better long-term investment, and the network is pretty top-notch.

Finally getting back around to looking into EMBAs again, after some busy times at work and then the holidays. Thank you both for your help with this - I think I'm going to actually aim higher and try to pull off the Kellogg/Schulich EMBA - it seems like a better long-term investment, and the network is pretty top-notch.

Did you select one of these schools? I'm looking at the same schools, especially the Haskayne/Alberta one.

Did you select one of these schools? I'm looking at the same schools, especially the Haskayne/Alberta one.

I have decided on the Kellogg/Shulich program, although I have to wait until the next intake to apply, since the program just started in January.

I have decided on the Kellogg/Shulich program, although I have to wait until the next intake to apply, since the program just started in January.
trye3abl

Guys, I was hoping that somebody could help me make a decision about which EMBA in Canada to select. I think the Schulich program is out of my price range, but I am considering these programs:

Concordia EMBA
Alberta EMBA
Calgary - Haskayne EMBA
Simon Fraser - Beedie EMBA
St. Mary's - Sobey EMBA

I am a retail store manager with 9 years of experience in retail backend operations, around 6 of that is management-level. My company wants me to do an EMBA but isn't providing a huge budget. They will fund travel, at least.

Guys, I was hoping that somebody could help me make a decision about which EMBA in Canada to select. I think the Schulich program is out of my price range, but I am considering these programs:

Concordia EMBA
Alberta EMBA
Calgary - Haskayne EMBA
Simon Fraser - Beedie EMBA
St. Mary's - Sobey EMBA

I am a retail store manager with 9 years of experience in retail backend operations, around 6 of that is management-level. My company wants me to do an EMBA but isn't providing a huge budget. They will fund travel, at least.
Razors Edg...

The Alberta/Haskayne EMBA program seems like the obvious choice: It's roughly half the cost of the Schulich program but ranked in the FT.

The Alberta/Haskayne EMBA program seems like the obvious choice: It's roughly half the cost of the Schulich program but ranked in the FT.
trye3abl

Thanks! I'll look into this one.

Thanks! I'll look into this one.

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

Toronto, Canada 87 Followers 112 Discussions
Edmonton, Canada 50 Followers 53 Discussions
Calgary, Canada 32 Followers 35 Discussions
Evanston, Illinois 71 Followers 205 Discussions

Other Related Content

Sep 11, 2023

The GMAC MBA Tour Lands in Africa Sept. 13-19